Where to buy an Internal Drive Cage?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Hi,

I am refurbishing a PC for a friend - the case is a standard ATX (Mid)Tower.

I want to install three SCSI HD drives internally - the three external drive
bays are otherwise occupied.

Unfortunately the internal drive cage only holds two HD drives - there is
plenty of room for a larger drive cage.

I've never bought an internal drive cage before, and quite honestly am
having trouble finding any for sale.

I am in the UK - Does anyone know where I can buy generic 3/4 internal HD
drive cages?

If not UK based, a US supplier who ships internationally would be fine.

Thanks

Colin

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 04:25:03 +0000 (UTC), "News Group"
<news.paradoxa@btopenworld.com> wrote:

>I am refurbishing a PC for a friend - the case is a standard ATX (Mid)Tower.
>
>I want to install three SCSI HD drives internally - the three external drive
>bays are otherwise occupied.
>
>Unfortunately the internal drive cage only holds two HD drives - there is
>plenty of room for a larger drive cage.
>
>I've never bought an internal drive cage before, and quite honestly am
>having trouble finding any for sale.
>
>I am in the UK - Does anyone know where I can buy generic 3/4 internal HD
>drive cages?
>
>If not UK based, a US supplier who ships internationally would be fine.

Dell Computer used to strap the boot drive to the inside front of the
case. You might be able to drill some holes to accomodate mounting.

Make sure the metal filings are caught.

--

Greatest Movie Line Ever
http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/MovieLine.wmv

"Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within
limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add
'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's
will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual."
-- Thomas Jefferson

News Group wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am refurbishing a PC for a friend - the case is a standard ATX (Mid)Tower.
>
> I want to install three SCSI HD drives internally - the three external drive
> bays are otherwise occupied.
>
> Unfortunately the internal drive cage only holds two HD drives - there is
> plenty of room for a larger drive cage.
>
> I've never bought an internal drive cage before, and quite honestly am
> having trouble finding any for sale.
>
> I am in the UK - Does anyone know where I can buy generic 3/4 internal HD
> drive cages?

You can easily "hang" a drive beneath the existing two drives. Use the
"L" shaped pieces that come from PCI card covers. Drill one hole in
each of four pieces near the bent end to hold the third drive, and two
holes above that to mate with the existing two drive mounting screws.
Place the four with the bent ends turned under the new drive and attach
them with four screws to the drive. Remove the screws from the drives
above and attach the bracket pieces under the screws. This will make a
sturdy "extension" to hold another drive.

--
Virg Wall

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 04:25:03 +0000 (UTC), "News Group"
<news.paradoxa@btopenworld.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am refurbishing a PC for a friend - the case is a standard ATX (Mid)Tower.
>
>I want to install three SCSI HD drives internally - the three external drive
>bays are otherwise occupied.
>
>Unfortunately the internal drive cage only holds two HD drives - there is
>plenty of room for a larger drive cage.
>
>I've never bought an internal drive cage before, and quite honestly am
>having trouble finding any for sale.
>
>I am in the UK - Does anyone know where I can buy generic 3/4 internal HD
>drive cages?
>
>If not UK based, a US supplier who ships internationally would be fine.

With some Al sheeting, a brake and some elbow grease, DIY is
one option. Following is a refurb'd (~'97?) Gateway 2000
case that had a similar problem though they used an odd
hanging vertical rack at the time with relatively little
front intake area, so chassis airflow in general needed
addressed as well as the drives.
http://69.36.189.159/usr_1034/gw_case/prepped%20for%20use.jpg

Note the pictured case has a pair of 92mm pusher fans in
front of the rack- a good idea to keep drives cool as the
case likely is not set up to accomodate cooling drives in an
add-on rack, is yet another aspect you might have to DIY in
your case regardless of whether you made a rack or found one
ready-to-use. A single ~80mm fan can cool 3 modern SCSI
drives, but not very quietly and noise from fans up front
is generally more noticable to a nearby user.

If the case has a large (or pair) of rear exahaust fans you
may be able to get away with a passive air intake fight in
front of this add-on rack, but it may need be rather large,
a scattering of small holes is likely too much restriction
to be very effective.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Thanks for all the replies,

Colin

"News Group" <news.paradoxa@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
| Hi,
|
| I am refurbishing a PC for a friend - the case is a standard ATX
(Mid)Tower.

| I want to install three SCSI HD drives internally - the three external
drive
| bays are otherwise occupied.
|
| Unfortunately the internal drive cage only holds two HD drives - there is
| plenty of room for a larger drive cage.
|
| I've never bought an internal drive cage before, and quite honestly am
| having trouble finding any for sale.
|
| I am in the UK - Does anyone know where I can buy generic 3/4 internal HD
| drive cages?
|
| If not UK based, a US supplier who ships internationally would be fine.
|
| Thanks
|
| Colin

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

http://www.pc-look.com/boutik/Prod_Lian_Li-Expansion-HDD-Kit-Aluminium-EX-23A-Silver__2425_en.html?language=en

http://tinyurl.co.uk/gftq

Be aware there are a number of 3*hd bays on the market, but the manu.mostly
say only two hd's should be used, to prevent heat problems.
I looked into this recently

"News Group" <news.paradoxa@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am refurbishing a PC for a friend - the case is a standard ATX
(Mid)Tower.

> I want to install three SCSI HD drives internally - the three external
drive
> bays are otherwise occupied.
>
> Unfortunately the internal drive cage only holds two HD drives - there is
> plenty of room for a larger drive cage.
>
> I've never bought an internal drive cage before, and quite honestly am
> having trouble finding any for sale.
>
> I am in the UK - Does anyone know where I can buy generic 3/4 internal HD
> drive cages?
>
> If not UK based, a US supplier who ships internationally would be fine.
>
> Thanks
>
> Colin

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

although not too slick, I've had luck with just securing them with duct
tape. I've also used nylon zip ties, alone and/or with packing tape or duct
tape, and have used small guage wire to re-inforce the tapeing in case the
tape lets go.
Most of the time a computer just sits there so you don't have to be too
worried about rigid attachement.

mike

"News Group" <news.paradoxa@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am refurbishing a PC for a friend - the case is a standard ATX
> (Mid)Tower.
>
> I want to install three SCSI HD drives internally - the three external
> drive
> bays are otherwise occupied.
>
> Unfortunately the internal drive cage only holds two HD drives - there is
> plenty of room for a larger drive cage.
>
> I've never bought an internal drive cage before, and quite honestly am
> having trouble finding any for sale.
>
> I am in the UK - Does anyone know where I can buy generic 3/4 internal HD
> drive cages?
>
> If not UK based, a US supplier who ships internationally would be fine.
>
> Thanks
>
> Colin

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I've had good luck drilling holes in each end of four popsicle sticks and
securing one end to the mounting holes of an existing drive and the other
end to the new drive. You might also consider plumbing strap as it's already
predrilled and you can make it the length needed for the number of drives.

News Group wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am refurbishing a PC for a friend - the case is a standard ATX (Mid)Tower.
>
> I want to install three SCSI HD drives internally - the three external drive
> bays are otherwise occupied.
>
> Unfortunately the internal drive cage only holds two HD drives - there is
> plenty of room for a larger drive cage.
>
> I've never bought an internal drive cage before, and quite honestly am
> having trouble finding any for sale.
>
> I am in the UK - Does anyone know where I can buy generic 3/4 internal HD
> drive cages?
>
> If not UK based, a US supplier who ships internationally would be fine.
>
> Thanks
>
> Colin

How much is your time worth per hour tracking this thing down? I ask
because if you've spent several hours on it you could have gotten a nice
Antec case and transfered everything over to it for what you may have
already spent in time.

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/