Robert

I looking for a good, *standard* (i.e. not multimedia) 104/5 key board
that is quieter than my current Cherry RS6000. Does anyone have any
experience of the current IBM Preferred Pro model? I have used the Dell
'quiet' board which is not too bad as far as noise is concerned but I am
trying to find something that is better. (I realise that there are
silent 'roll-up' KBs available but I imagine that they would feel more
than a bit alien to someone who has been used to conventional boards.

--
Robert

"Robert" <robert@rlh1.com> wrote in message
>I looking for a good, *standard* (i.e. not multimedia) 104/5 key board that
>is quieter than my current Cherry RS6000. Does anyone have any experience
>of the current IBM Preferred Pro model? I have used the Dell 'quiet' board
>which is not too bad as far as noise is concerned but I am trying to find
>something that is better. (I realise that there are silent 'roll-up' KBs
>available but I imagine that they would feel more than a bit alien to
>someone who has been used to conventional boards.

I've used several IBM Preferred keyboards and am currently using a Cherry
81-1800.

No question the IBM is quieter - I believe it uses 'rubber dome'
construction. Feel isn't bad, but I much prefer the Cherry feel.

www.pckeyboard.com has a 101 keyboard with 'enhanced quiet technology'. I
believe it's the same as an IBM keyboard I had that has very good feel but
sounded and felt like there were 'pads' built into each key so the clicking
was muted. And, at the bottom of the keystroke, it felt like the key was
hitting felt or hard rubber.
> --
> Robert

Phisherman

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 13:11:03 +0100, Robert <robert@rlh1.com> wrote:

>I looking for a good, *standard* (i.e. not multimedia) 104/5 key board
>that is quieter than my current Cherry RS6000. Does anyone have any
>experience of the current IBM Preferred Pro model? I have used the Dell
>'quiet' board which is not too bad as far as noise is concerned but I am
>trying to find something that is better. (I realise that there are
>silent 'roll-up' KBs available but I imagine that they would feel more
>than a bit alien to someone who has been used to conventional boards.

Why not "multimedia?" I have the MS digital Pro keyboard. It is very
quiet and has programmable "favorite" keys and a zoom slide switch.
Under $20 from ZipZoomFly.