Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

iPAQ h1940: multiple bluetooth settings problem

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 11:22:16 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Hi Everyone,
I got iPAQ h1940 Bluetooth enabled device.

Depending on the location I am - I connect to the Internet
in a different way:

1. When I am at home - I want to use Internet over
ActiveSync via Bluetooth. (I got BT USB dongle at home PC,
and ActiveSync on it)
2. When I am at work - I want to use Internet/Intranet
over Bluetooth Network (I got BT USB dongle at work and
Internet connection sharing on it). In addition I have to
use corporate proxy to access the net.
3. When I am off-site - I want to use my Bluetooth GPRS
mobile phone

I managed to configure separately each of those settings
above, but how to make them working together without
entering any advanced connection settings each time I
change location?

I don't quite understand idea of
1) Bluetooth profiles in WM2003
2) Network profiles in WM2003 (i.e. 'My ISP'
or 'Work')

is there a way to configure my iPAQ the way I want?

is there a good tutorial about profiles in WM2003?

any advice would be helpful,
thanks in advance,
rafal
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 1:32:39 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Rafal Urbanelis" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi Everyone,
>I got iPAQ h1940 Bluetooth enabled device.
>
>Depending on the location I am - I connect to the Internet
>in a different way:
>
>1. When I am at home - I want to use Internet over
>ActiveSync via Bluetooth. (I got BT USB dongle at home PC,
>and ActiveSync on it)

Then BT has to connect to a WORK connection and ActiveSync Passthrough
set to INTERNET.

>2. When I am at work - I want to use Internet/Intranet
>over Bluetooth Network (I got BT USB dongle at work and
>Internet connection sharing on it). In addition I have to
>use corporate proxy to access the net.

Then bluetooth should be set to INTERNET *or* you can set it to WORK
if your network has a Proxy server, then you can check "this
connection connects to the internet" and fill in the proxy info. That
said, it must be a different WORK connection than 1 above since #1
doesn't have a proxy.

>3. When I am off-site - I want to use my Bluetooth GPRS
>mobile phone

Internet, definitely.

>I managed to configure separately each of those settings
>above, but how to make them working together without
>entering any advanced connection settings each time I
>change location?
>
>I don't quite understand idea of
> 1) Bluetooth profiles in WM2003

Can't really help there - I use one profile to connect to my cell
phone. The 2215 ROM still hoses my network connections and I have to
delete the "Bluetooth Settings" garbage it sets up in my connections.

> 2) Network profiles in WM2003 (i.e. 'My ISP'
>or 'Work')

My ISP is INTERNET. Work is, well, work. ;-)

>is there a way to configure my iPAQ the way I want?

Yes. Here is what I would do. Set up your bluetooth profiles so your
iPAQ connects to all of your bluetooth devices. Now, in your network
settings, get rid of "bluetooth settings" and just use WORK and MY
ISP. You might even set up two WORK settings, Work and WorkProxy
maybe. Set your #2 above to use WorkProxy and configure it as I
described above. Now, when you connect to one of your 3 resources, it
*should* go to the right connection setting.

>is there a good tutorial about profiles in WM2003?
>
>any advice would be helpful,
>thanks in advance,
>rafal

--
__________________________________________________________________________________
Ed Hansberry (Please do *NOT* email me. Post here for the benefit of all)
What is on my Pocket PC? http://www.ehansberry.com/
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices www.pocketpc.com
What is an MVP? - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 9:44:36 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Hi Ed,
Thanks very much for your answer.
I have a couple of questions below...


>Yes. Here is what I would do. Set up your bluetooth
>profiles so your
>iPAQ connects to all of your bluetooth devices. Now, in
>your network

that's done

>settings, get rid of "bluetooth settings" and just use
>WORK and MY
>ISP. You might even set up two WORK settings, Work and
>WorkProxy
>maybe. Set your #2 above to use WorkProxy and configure
>it as I
>described above. Now, when you connect to one of your 3
resources, it
>*should* go to the right connection setting.

let's assume I created:
MyWork
MyWorkProxy
Internet

*independently* I have created BT shortcuts:
ActiveSync (for MyWork)
PAN access (for MyWorkProxy)
GPRS Dialup (for Interent)

how to bind those three couples?
i.e. how to tell iPAQ "ActiveSync" should go with "MyWork"?

where to change current profile?

I cannot understand whole idea of this "my isp"/"my work"
thing.

thanks again,
Rafal
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 1:56:44 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Rafal Urbanelis" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>>settings, get rid of "bluetooth settings" and just use
>>WORK and MY
>>ISP. You might even set up two WORK settings, Work and
>>WorkProxy
>>maybe. Set your #2 above to use WorkProxy and configure
>>it as I
>>described above. Now, when you connect to one of your 3
>resources, it
>>*should* go to the right connection setting.
>
>let's assume I created:
>MyWork
>MyWorkProxy
>Internet

I'm with you so far...

>*independently* I have created BT shortcuts:
>ActiveSync (for MyWork)
>PAN access (for MyWorkProxy)
>GPRS Dialup (for Interent)
>
>how to bind those three couples?
>i.e. how to tell iPAQ "ActiveSync" should go with "MyWork"?
>
>where to change current profile?
>
>I cannot understand whole idea of this "my isp"/"my work"
>thing.

Makes two of us. ;-)

Let's see. Activesync won'b bind to anything per se. Honestly, I am
not sure how you would tell AS to automatically use any particular
bluetooth combo. Connection Manager is *supposed* to make this easier
but it really makes this more complex. It would be easy to just launch
your MyWork connection then fire up ActiveSync, like you'd do on your
PC. Instead, you will have to switch modes in connection properties so
it knows *which* connection to use.

The fact that you are confused unfortunately doesn't mean you'll
figure this out in an easy way. You may have gotten as far as you can.
I've been messing with network cards on my Pocket PCs for years and
for the last 3, I am still having to burrow deep into Connection
Manager to switch Work/Internet modes to ActiveSync, reach file
shares, connect IM, browse the web, etc.

If you have something that works, just go with it. It may involve an
extra 10 clicks and you may eventually find some slightly quicker
methods, but I'd say you have got the jist of it. That's just how
Connection manager is.
--
__________________________________________________________________________________
Ed Hansberry (Please do *NOT* email me. Post here for the benefit of all)
What is on my Pocket PC? http://www.ehansberry.com/
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices www.pocketpc.com
What is an MVP? - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
!