Mac

My system, when using higher graphics applications, like Browsing through
Google Earth, or some games, it unexpectevely resets... It is like it can't
take it anymore and resets....Only happens when trying higher than normal
graphics.. everyday type applications, like Office, browsing, etc, the
system is very stable.

The system is:
MB: MSI KT6V-LSR (MS-7021)
Processor: Athlon XP 2100+
RAM: 512 MB PC 3200 DDR SDRAM
Graphics: NVIDIA Gforce Chip (MSI brand) MMX400 64MB (Latest drivers
installed)
Sound: SB Sound Live! card
PS: 300W

My main suspect is that I may be overtaxing the Power supply and I need a
bigger one? Or do you think it may be my Nvidia card? any other thoughts?

mac

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 12:57:32 GMT, "mac" <aaa@aaa.com> wrote:

>My system, when using higher graphics applications, like Browsing through
>Google Earth, or some games, it unexpectevely resets... It is like it can't
>take it anymore and resets....Only happens when trying higher than normal
>graphics.. everyday type applications, like Office, browsing, etc, the
>system is very stable.
>
> The system is:
>MB: MSI KT6V-LSR (MS-7021)
>Processor: Athlon XP 2100+
>RAM: 512 MB PC 3200 DDR SDRAM
>Graphics: NVIDIA Gforce Chip (MSI brand) MMX400 64MB (Latest drivers
>installed)
>Sound: SB Sound Live! card
>PS: 300W
>
>My main suspect is that I may be overtaxing the Power supply and I need a
>bigger one? Or do you think it may be my Nvidia card? any other thoughts?

Turn off the automatic reset under the control panel ; system ;
advanced ; startup and recover ; uncheck automatically restart on
system failure.

Do you get a blue screen?

mac wrote:
> My system, when using higher graphics applications, like Browsing through
> Google Earth, or some games, it unexpectevely resets... It is like it can't
> take it anymore and resets....Only happens when trying higher than normal
> graphics.. everyday type applications, like Office, browsing, etc, the
> system is very stable.
>
> The system is:
> MB: MSI KT6V-LSR (MS-7021)
> Processor: Athlon XP 2100+
> RAM: 512 MB PC 3200 DDR SDRAM
> Graphics: NVIDIA Gforce Chip (MSI brand) MMX400 64MB (Latest drivers
> installed)
> Sound: SB Sound Live! card
> PS: 300W
>
> My main suspect is that I may be overtaxing the Power supply and I need a
> bigger one? Or do you think it may be my Nvidia card? any other thoughts?
>
> mac

Does your graphics card have a fan? Is that fan still working properly?

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

Mac

No Fan built up just the heat disipation tower on it (I don't know how is
called).

I do have an extra fan in the case.

mac

mac wrote:
> No Fan built up just the heat disipation tower on it (I don't know how is
> called).
>
> I do have an extra fan in the case.
>
> mac

What are the CPU temps during operation, especially just before one of
these crashes?

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

Mac

I'll have to tests it.... Right now (normal ops) is CPU = 49 C and System
= 42 C. Let me do a test to see what happens..... do you want them tepm in
C or F? the readout gives it to me in C but I can convert it.

mac

mac wrote:

> It just goes into a re-start.
>
> No blue screens, no errors, just re-starts

Check the system logs to see what errors it's reporting.

Mac

What is the benefit to turn on or off the auto system re-start, I didn't
know about this feature.

mac

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 22:09:23 GMT, "mac" <aaa@aaa.com> wrote:

>What is the benefit to turn on or off the auto system re-start, I didn't
>know about this feature.
>
>mac

Instead of an "automatic restart", it should blue screen ... a bit
easier to diagnose with the blue screen.

mac wrote:

> What is the benefit to turn on or off the auto system re-start, I didn't
> know about this feature.
>
> mac

If it doesn't do an automatic restart you're usually left with the blue
screen error and that information is often useful to see what it was that
crashed.

mac wrote:
> I'll have to tests it.... Right now (normal ops) is CPU = 49 C and System
> = 42 C. Let me do a test to see what happens..... do you want them tepm in
> C or F? the readout gives it to me in C but I can convert it.
>
> mac

C is good, thanks. Which program are you using to get these numbers?

> "spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message
>
>>mac wrote:
>>
>>>No Fan built up just the heat disipation tower on it (I don't know how is
>>>called).
>>>
>>>I do have an extra fan in the case.
>>>
>>>mac
>>
>>What are the CPU temps during operation, especially just before one of
>>these crashes?
>>
>>--
>>spammage trappage: remove the underscores to reply
>>
>>I'm going to die rather sooner than I'd like. I tried to protect my
>>neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. Complications in
>>hospital following this resulted in a serious illness. I now need a bone
>>marrow transplant. Many people around the world are waiting for a marrow
>>transplant, too. Please volunteer to be a marrow donor:
>>http://www.abmdr.org.au/
>>http://www.marrow.org/

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

Mac

I have tried for about three hours to crash my system and nothing happened.
It is working really good.

I did updated the VIA chips set drivers today. I don't know if that helped.
CPU temp never went over 51 C.

I use an utility called "Core Center" which came with my MSI motherboard
drivers CD. I believe is programmed by MSI.

www.msi.com.tw

mac wrote:
> I have tried for about three hours to crash my system and nothing happened.
> It is working really good.
>
> I did updated the VIA chips set drivers today. I don't know if that helped.
> CPU temp never went over 51 C.
>
> I use an utility called "Core Center" which came with my MSI motherboard
> drivers CD. I believe is programmed by MSI.
>
> www.msi.com.tw
>
> mac

That's a fine temperature. That's not what's causing the problems. Just
something I wanted to rule out.

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/