Domain multiple interpetation

Is there a difference between the "domain" entity to which I login in my PC,
and the "domain" which represent the resolution of the IP address?

Thanks in advance

Vinter

ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

Yes. On NT there is no connection at all other than the same word is being
used.

Ray

"Vinter" <Vinter@ww.mani.com> wrote in message
> Is there a difference between the "domain" entity to which I login in my
PC,
> and the "domain" which represent the resolution of the IP address?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Vinter

No difference at all. Both represent the NetBIOS domain
name of your domain.
"Vinter" <Vinter@ww.mani.com> wrote in message news:
> Is there a difference between the "domain" entity to which I login in my
PC,
> and the "domain" which represent the resolution of the IP address?

ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

Don't try sending from an Exchange server on NT where the "domain which
represents the resolution of the IP address" is set to the NetBIOS domain
instead of the DNS domain. The reverse DNS lookup will fail and you'll be
marked as a spammer. Better yet, if your NetBIOS domain name has an
underscore, the DNS lookup of the sending email server will puke.

Ray

"Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com> wrote in
message news:OEIHOBmVFHA.3716@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> No difference at all. Both represent the NetBIOS domain
> name of your domain.
> "Vinter" <Vinter@ww.mani.com> wrote in message news:
> > Is there a difference between the "domain" entity to which I login in my
> PC,
> > and the "domain" which represent the resolution of the IP address?

Why is this relevant?
"Ray" <replyhere@newsgroup.only> wrote in message news:
> Don't try sending from an Exchange server on NT where the "domain which
> represents the resolution of the IP address" is set to the NetBIOS domain
> instead of the DNS domain. The reverse DNS lookup will fail and you'll be
> marked as a spammer. Better yet, if your NetBIOS domain name has an
> underscore, the DNS lookup of the sending email server will puke.
>
> Ray

Let me elaborate a bit if I may. DNS and NetBIOS domain
name are two completely different entities. The NetBIOS
domain name is limited to 15 characters unlike a DNS domain
name or an FQDN e.g., www.mydomain.com. The default
NetBIOS domain name is mydomain.