  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
May 16, 2005 12:56:39 PM

I am running a NT4 domain and recently upgraded my workstation ot Windows XP.
On Windows 2000 I used to be able to use User manager for domains to add
accounts, change passwords, etc. On the XP workstation I can open User
manager, but trying to do anything gives an error"a device attached to the
system is not functioning"

More about : nt4 user manager pro

Anonymous
May 18, 2005 3:10:27 PM

NetBIOS over tcp/ip is enabled on the XP pro
machine? If you are running SP 2 the firewall
feature might be blocking NetBIOS packets.

"Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> I am running a NT4 domain and recently upgraded my workstation ot Windows
XP.
> On Windows 2000 I used to be able to use User manager for domains to add
> accounts, change passwords, etc. On the XP workstation I can open User
> manager, but trying to do anything gives an error"a device attached to the
> system is not functioning"
May 23, 2005 10:59:35 AM

I turned the SP2 firewall off due to various other legacy software
incompatibilities. I ste to use NetBIOS over TCP/IP but still get the same
error.

"Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:

> NetBIOS over tcp/ip is enabled on the XP pro
> machine? If you are running SP 2 the firewall
> feature might be blocking NetBIOS packets.
>
> "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> > I am running a NT4 domain and recently upgraded my workstation ot Windows
> XP.
> > On Windows 2000 I used to be able to use User manager for domains to add
> > accounts, change passwords, etc. On the XP workstation I can open User
> > manager, but trying to do anything gives an error"a device attached to the
> > system is not functioning"

Anonymous
May 24, 2005 10:14:47 AM

Quite an interesting error ot say the least.
Can you successfully map to a share on the
PDC from this XP machine?

!