My soundcard died, and I cant seem to fix it

Ok, so here's the story, I have a Dell XPS thats about 2 years old
now.
It's been in very good health and I haven't had any major problems
with it.
I make sure to keep everything in order and what not on this box of
mine, but for some reason my computer just STOPPED. It honestly just
stopped, and it was frozen. When I turned it back on a few minutes
later, the sound was just dead, and this happened at startup.

CTHELPER.EXE - Apllication Error

The instruction at "0x73dd3190" referenced memory at "0x11d13ea7". The
memory could not be "read".

Then it brought up a wizard that wanted to install software. And it
offers to search for it, but I don't know what it wants from me. I
checked a few places around the computer to see if I could just
re-assign my sound card back to being in use, but it's not even
listed in the directory.

In device manager, this is the problem device, because it's never been
there before. It's just listed as PCI Input Device, and I'm guessing
since I use a PCI bus, than it's my soundcard. But my dead sound
card.

PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_7003&SUBSYS_00401102&REV_04\4&1C660DD6&0&09F0

Any suggestions? I need my sound more than anything else.

"Big_Wags" <XandulHunter@msn-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> Ok, so here's the story, I have a Dell XPS thats about 2 years old
> now.
> It's been in very good health and I haven't had any major problems
> with it.
> I make sure to keep everything in order and what not on this box of
> mine, but for some reason my computer just STOPPED. It honestly just
> stopped, and it was frozen. When I turned it back on a few minutes
> later, the sound was just dead, and this happened at startup.
>
> CTHELPER.EXE - Apllication Error
>
> The instruction at "0x73dd3190" referenced memory at "0x11d13ea7". The
> memory could not be "read".
>

> Then it brought up a wizard that wanted to install software. And it
> offers to search for it, but I don't know what it wants from me. I
> checked a few places around the computer to see if I could just
> re-assign my sound card back to being in use, but it's not even
> listed in the directory.
>
> In device manager, this is the problem device, because it's never been
> there before. It's just listed as PCI Input Device, and I'm guessing
> since I use a PCI bus, than it's my soundcard. But my dead sound
> card.
>
> PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_7003&SUBSYS_00401102&REV_04\4&1C660DD6&0&09F0
>
> Any suggestions? I need my sound more than anything else.

what if you remove the card...........does the machine start without
problems.

if it does then fit a new sound card..........they are not to expensive.

This is the classic and simple concept called breaking a
problem down into its parts. You suspect hardware or
software. Simple. Get the manufacturer's diagnostic that
uses no Windows software. Execute that diagnostic to only see
what the hardware does. Either the diagnostic fails -
hardware is defective - or the diagnostic passes - hardware is
good.

If hardware is good, NOW you are ready to look at the
software. Only now should you delete the offending devices in
System>Device Manager, delete the sound card, and then reboot
so that the system finds the hardware and reloads drivers.

Furthermore, there was what could be useful information in
the system (event) logs. What did they say?

You have a Dell. Therefore the system comes with
comprehensive diagnostics already on the disk - which means
you bought from a responsible manufacturer. Your problems are
exactly why diagnostics are provided.

Big_Wags wrote:
> Ok, so here's the story, I have a Dell XPS thats about 2 years old
> now.
> It's been in very good health and I haven't had any major problems
> with it.
> I make sure to keep everything in order and what not on this box of
> mine, but for some reason my computer just STOPPED. It honestly just
> stopped, and it was frozen. When I turned it back on a few minutes
> later, the sound was just dead, and this happened at startup.
>
> CTHELPER.EXE - Apllication Error
>
> The instruction at "0x73dd3190" referenced memory at "0x11d13ea7". The
> memory could not be "read".
>
> Then it brought up a wizard that wanted to install software. And it
> offers to search for it, but I don't know what it wants from me. I
> checked a few places around the computer to see if I could just
> re-assign my sound card back to being in use, but it's not even
> listed in the directory.
>
> In device manager, this is the problem device, because it's never been
> there before. It's just listed as PCI Input Device, and I'm guessing
> since I use a PCI bus, than it's my soundcard. But my dead sound
> card.
>
> PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_7003&SUBSYS_00401102&REV_04\4&1C660DD6&0&09F0
>
> Any suggestions? I need my sound more than anything else.

steveh

"Glittery Gary" <OnThe@Upbtinternet.com> wrote in message

> "Big_Wags" <XandulHunter@msn-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
>> Ok, so here's the story, I have a Dell XPS thats about 2 years old
>> now.
>> It's been in very good health and I haven't had any major problems
>> with it.
>> I make sure to keep everything in order and what not on this box of
>> mine, but for some reason my computer just STOPPED. It honestly just
>> stopped, and it was frozen. When I turned it back on a few minutes
>> later, the sound was just dead, and this happened at startup.
>>
>> CTHELPER.EXE - Apllication Error
>>
>> The instruction at "0x73dd3190" referenced memory at "0x11d13ea7". The
>> memory could not be "read".
>>

>> Then it brought up a wizard that wanted to install software. And it
>> offers to search for it, but I don't know what it wants from me. I
>> checked a few places around the computer to see if I could just
>> re-assign my sound card back to being in use, but it's not even
>> listed in the directory.
>>
>> In device manager, this is the problem device, because it's never been
>> there before. It's just listed as PCI Input Device, and I'm guessing
>> since I use a PCI bus, than it's my soundcard. But my dead sound
>> card.
>>
>> PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_7003&SUBSYS_00401102&REV_04\4&1C660DD6&0&09F0
>>
>> Any suggestions? I need my sound more than anything else.
>>

> what if you remove the card...........does the machine start without
> problems.
>
> if it does then fit a new sound card..........they are not to expensive.
Why does he need to fit a new sound card?
All it appears to be is that the Creative driver got corrupted when the PC
locked up.
I would uninstall the drivers then download and install some new ones from
Creative.

SteveH

Thanks for the help, but here's an interesting development.

I turn it on this morning, and it's fine, the sound's just there
again, and there are no error messages.. Well, I did try a system
restore that went back a couple of days. So maybe that restored the
drivers?

I dunno, I think it may be possible that my card just overheated, and
the 6 fans of the DESKTOP XPS (Kadaitcha Man) just couldnt cut it.

So everything's fine now, and I'm surprised that I got a response that
fast. Thank you guys. :D