Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Can't Browse Netowrk from VPN Connection

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 2:32:35 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

I recently setup a VPN on my NT 4.0 SP6a server using PPTP. Users can
connect fine, but cannot browse for shared drives or map drives. Is this a
Master Browser issue? Or does the NT server need to publish drive info
better?

Thanks,

John
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 2:37:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

Typically your remote users computers are not members of the domain or don't
have the same workgroup name either. Typically browsing is not much of an
option for this in a NT4 domain. You best bet here would be to use lmhosts
files with the necessary entries for the resources or create a batch file
that they can click on to get the shares they need. Browsing most likely
won't work in this case. In a Windows 2000 domain you can use DNS and
typically find what your after but actually browsing through Network
Neighborhood will be difficult if not impossible.

--
Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
Microsoft MVP - Windows NT Server

"AnytimeAnywhere" <gm79ta@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1196eo8m85lk174@corp.supernews.com...
>I recently setup a VPN on my NT 4.0 SP6a server using PPTP. Users can
> connect fine, but cannot browse for shared drives or map drives. Is this
> a
> Master Browser issue? Or does the NT server need to publish drive info
> better?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John
>
>
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 6:55:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

The simple answer is to install WINS in your main
location and have your VPN clients get an address
on your local LAN and point towards your WINS
server.

"AnytimeAnywhere" <gm79ta@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:
> I recently setup a VPN on my NT 4.0 SP6a server using PPTP. Users can
> connect fine, but cannot browse for shared drives or map drives. Is this
a
> Master Browser issue? Or does the NT server need to publish drive info
> better?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 6:55:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

Agreed.

--
Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
Microsoft MVP - Windows NT Server

"Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com> wrote in
message news:uW%23YGHJYFHA.3732@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> The simple answer is to install WINS in your main
> location and have your VPN clients get an address
> on your local LAN and point towards your WINS
> server.
>
> "AnytimeAnywhere" <gm79ta@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:
>> I recently setup a VPN on my NT 4.0 SP6a server using PPTP. Users can
>> connect fine, but cannot browse for shared drives or map drives. Is this
> a
>> Master Browser issue? Or does the NT server need to publish drive info
>> better?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> John
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 7:35:25 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

Thanks for the information. In regards to the lmhosts solutions, how would
that be implemented? Would I just edit the lmhosts file on the client PC
and add the IP address and the name of the server? Would I use the local IP
address?

Thanks again,

John

"Scott Harding" <scrockel@**NO_SPAM**hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:%23i7ZddIYFHA.2572@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Typically your remote users computers are not members of the domain or
don't
> have the same workgroup name either. Typically browsing is not much of an
> option for this in a NT4 domain. You best bet here would be to use lmhosts
> files with the necessary entries for the resources or create a batch file
> that they can click on to get the shares they need. Browsing most likely
> won't work in this case. In a Windows 2000 domain you can use DNS and
> typically find what your after but actually browsing through Network
> Neighborhood will be difficult if not impossible.
>
> --
> Scott Harding
> MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
> Microsoft MVP - Windows NT Server
>
> "AnytimeAnywhere" <gm79ta@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:1196eo8m85lk174@corp.supernews.com...
> >I recently setup a VPN on my NT 4.0 SP6a server using PPTP. Users can
> > connect fine, but cannot browse for shared drives or map drives. Is
this
> > a
> > Master Browser issue? Or does the NT server need to publish drive info
> > better?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > John
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 7:41:47 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

I have a WINS tab in my TCP/IP settings on the server. The Primary and
Secondary WINS server address is the server's address. Is that correct?
Also, 'Enable DNS for Windows Resolution' is unchecked. The remote users
are getting a local address from the server that is in the same subnet as
the server. They have no problem logging on.

I had the users put the local address of the server in their WINS tab on the
client PCs and that made no difference.

Do I need to configure WINS more on the server?

Thanks,

John

"Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com> wrote in
message news:uW%23YGHJYFHA.3732@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> The simple answer is to install WINS in your main
> location and have your VPN clients get an address
> on your local LAN and point towards your WINS
> server.
>
> "AnytimeAnywhere" <gm79ta@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:
> > I recently setup a VPN on my NT 4.0 SP6a server using PPTP. Users can
> > connect fine, but cannot browse for shared drives or map drives. Is
this
> a
> > Master Browser issue? Or does the NT server need to publish drive info
> > better?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > John
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 7:41:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

When they get their IP address is it also giving them the address of the
WINS server?

--
Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
Microsoft MVP - Windows NT Server

"AnytimeAnywhere" <gm79ta@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:11970rtpmqjl804@corp.supernews.com...
>I have a WINS tab in my TCP/IP settings on the server. The Primary and
> Secondary WINS server address is the server's address. Is that correct?
> Also, 'Enable DNS for Windows Resolution' is unchecked. The remote users
> are getting a local address from the server that is in the same subnet as
> the server. They have no problem logging on.
>
> I had the users put the local address of the server in their WINS tab on
> the
> client PCs and that made no difference.
>
> Do I need to configure WINS more on the server?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John
>
> "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com> wrote in
> message news:uW%23YGHJYFHA.3732@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> The simple answer is to install WINS in your main
>> location and have your VPN clients get an address
>> on your local LAN and point towards your WINS
>> server.
>>
>> "AnytimeAnywhere" <gm79ta@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:
>> > I recently setup a VPN on my NT 4.0 SP6a server using PPTP. Users can
>> > connect fine, but cannot browse for shared drives or map drives. Is
> this
>> a
>> > Master Browser issue? Or does the NT server need to publish drive info
>> > better?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > John
>> >
>> >
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 8:10:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

WINS is a dynamic solution to lmhosts files but here is
the information you need for the lmhosts file entries:
Domain Browsing with TCP/IP and LMHOSTS Files
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;150800

"AnytimeAnywhere" <gm79ta@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:
> Thanks for the information. In regards to the lmhosts solutions, how
would
> that be implemented? Would I just edit the lmhosts file on the client PC
> and add the IP address and the name of the server? Would I use the local
IP
> address?
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 8:19:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

"AnytimeAnywhere" <gm79ta@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:
> I have a WINS tab in my TCP/IP settings on the server. The Primary and
> Secondary WINS server address is the server's address. Is that correct?
> Also, 'Enable DNS for Windows Resolution' is unchecked. The remote users
> are getting a local address from the server that is in the same subnet as
> the server. They have no problem logging on.

Yes the WINS Server should point to itself for primary and
secondary in it's tcp/ip properties.

>
> I had the users put the local address of the server in their WINS tab on
the
> client PCs and that made no difference.

Where on the clients PCs? You need to add it to the
tcp/ip properties of the VPN adapter or have RRAS
assign addresses using DHCP and make the WINS
Server is specified along with the NeBIOS Node
Type. Have a look at the following for more
details:

How to Use DHCP to Provide Routing and Remote Access Clients with Additional
DHCP Options
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;232703


>
> Do I need to configure WINS more on the server?
>
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 6:28:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

No, I don't see it listed.

"Scott Harding" <scrockel@**NO_SPAM**hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o Uu2SwJYFHA.1092@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> When they get their IP address is it also giving them the address of the
> WINS server?
>
> --
> Scott Harding
> MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
> Microsoft MVP - Windows NT Server
>
> "AnytimeAnywhere" <gm79ta@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:11970rtpmqjl804@corp.supernews.com...
> >I have a WINS tab in my TCP/IP settings on the server. The Primary and
> > Secondary WINS server address is the server's address. Is that correct?
> > Also, 'Enable DNS for Windows Resolution' is unchecked. The remote
users
> > are getting a local address from the server that is in the same subnet
as
> > the server. They have no problem logging on.
> >
> > I had the users put the local address of the server in their WINS tab on
> > the
> > client PCs and that made no difference.
> >
> > Do I need to configure WINS more on the server?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > John
> >
> > "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com> wrote
in
> > message news:uW%23YGHJYFHA.3732@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> >> The simple answer is to install WINS in your main
> >> location and have your VPN clients get an address
> >> on your local LAN and point towards your WINS
> >> server.
> >>
> >> "AnytimeAnywhere" <gm79ta@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:
> >> > I recently setup a VPN on my NT 4.0 SP6a server using PPTP. Users
can
> >> > connect fine, but cannot browse for shared drives or map drives. Is
> > this
> >> a
> >> > Master Browser issue? Or does the NT server need to publish drive
info
> >> > better?
> >> >
> >> > Thanks,
> >> >
> >> > John
> >> >
> >> >
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 6:14:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

I made a simple lmhosts file and sent it to my remote user. I used the
example from Q150800. I substituted my local server address, domian, and
server name in the example. This had no effect for the remote user.
However, I just discovered that the PCs they are using for VPN are XP Home
PCs. Is this a problem?

Thanks


"Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com> wrote in
message news:exolBxJYFHA.3732@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> WINS is a dynamic solution to lmhosts files but here is
> the information you need for the lmhosts file entries:
> Domain Browsing with TCP/IP and LMHOSTS Files
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;150800
>
> "AnytimeAnywhere" <gm79ta@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:
> > Thanks for the information. In regards to the lmhosts solutions, how
> would
> > that be implemented? Would I just edit the lmhosts file on the client
PC
> > and add the IP address and the name of the server? Would I use the
local
> IP
> > address?
>
>
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 6:38:10 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

No it shouldn't be. Did you have the clients preload the cache
and run nbtstat -c to see if the names were in the cache?

"AnytimeAnywhere" <gm79ta@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:
> I made a simple lmhosts file and sent it to my remote user. I used the
> example from Q150800. I substituted my local server address, domian, and
> server name in the example. This had no effect for the remote user.
> However, I just discovered that the PCs they are using for VPN are XP Home
> PCs. Is this a problem?
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 7:16:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

Yes, although the server name and domain did not show up. However, a
computer on their PtP network and its IP address did show up under 'Name'
and 'Host Address.' Below the name is our VPN information - Node IpAddress,
a blank Scope Id, and the text - 'No names in cache.' Two questions: Is
this PC looking for the drive on the wrong computer? And, are the server
name and domain not loading?

Thanks again,

John

"Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com> wrote in
message news:o tm2dGiYFHA.3488@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> No it shouldn't be. Did you have the clients preload the cache
> and run nbtstat -c to see if the names were in the cache?
>
> "AnytimeAnywhere" <gm79ta@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:
> > I made a simple lmhosts file and sent it to my remote user. I used the
> > example from Q150800. I substituted my local server address, domian,
and
> > server name in the example. This had no effect for the remote user.
> > However, I just discovered that the PCs they are using for VPN are XP
Home
> > PCs. Is this a problem?
>
>
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 3:56:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

Just to update both of you, I experimented with the lmhosts file and hit on
the right combination of settings and now my remote users can access shared
drives.

Many Thanks,

John

"Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com> wrote in
message news:%23E43o1JYFHA.1240@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>
> "AnytimeAnywhere" <gm79ta@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:
> > I have a WINS tab in my TCP/IP settings on the server. The Primary and
> > Secondary WINS server address is the server's address. Is that correct?
> > Also, 'Enable DNS for Windows Resolution' is unchecked. The remote
users
> > are getting a local address from the server that is in the same subnet
as
> > the server. They have no problem logging on.
>
> Yes the WINS Server should point to itself for primary and
> secondary in it's tcp/ip properties.
>
> >
> > I had the users put the local address of the server in their WINS tab on
> the
> > client PCs and that made no difference.
>
> Where on the clients PCs? You need to add it to the
> tcp/ip properties of the VPN adapter or have RRAS
> assign addresses using DHCP and make the WINS
> Server is specified along with the NeBIOS Node
> Type. Have a look at the following for more
> details:
>
> How to Use DHCP to Provide Routing and Remote Access Clients with
Additional
> DHCP Options
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;232703
>
>
> >
> > Do I need to configure WINS more on the server?
> >
>
>
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 4:07:10 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

Good to hear.. Thanks for the update..

"AnytimeAnywhere" <gm79ta@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:11b0jtfauouosf5@corp.supernews.com...
> Just to update both of you, I experimented with the lmhosts file and hit
on
> the right combination of settings and now my remote users can access
shared
> drives.
>
!