Can't Browse Netowrk from VPN Connection

I recently setup a VPN on my NT 4.0 SP6a server using PPTP. Users can
connect fine, but cannot browse for shared drives or map drives. Is this a
Master Browser issue? Or does the NT server need to publish drive info
better?

Thanks,

John
14 answers Last reply
More about browse netowrk connection

    Typically your remote users computers are not members of the domain or don't
    have the same workgroup name either. Typically browsing is not much of an
    option for this in a NT4 domain. You best bet here would be to use lmhosts
    files with the necessary entries for the resources or create a batch file
    that they can click on to get the shares they need. Browsing most likely
    won't work in this case. In a Windows 2000 domain you can use DNS and
    typically find what your after but actually browsing through Network
    Neighborhood will be difficult if not impossible.

    --
    Scott Harding
    MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

    "AnytimeAnywhere" <gm79ta@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I recently setup a VPN on my NT 4.0 SP6a server using PPTP. Users can
    > connect fine, but cannot browse for shared drives or map drives. Is this
    > Master Browser issue? Or does the NT server need to publish drive info
    > better?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > John

    The simple answer is to install WINS in your main
    location and have your VPN clients get an address
    on your local LAN and point towards your WINS
    server.

    "AnytimeAnywhere" <gm79ta@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:
    > I recently setup a VPN on my NT 4.0 SP6a server using PPTP. Users can
    > connect fine, but cannot browse for shared drives or map drives. Is this
    > Master Browser issue? Or does the NT server need to publish drive info
    > better?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > John

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Agreed.

    --

    "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com> wrote in
    message news:uW%23YGHJYFHA.3732@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > The simple answer is to install WINS in your main
    > location and have your VPN clients get an address
    > on your local LAN and point towards your WINS
    > server.
    >
    > "AnytimeAnywhere" <gm79ta@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:
    >> I recently setup a VPN on my NT 4.0 SP6a server using PPTP. Users can
    >> connect fine, but cannot browse for shared drives or map drives. Is this
    >> Master Browser issue? Or does the NT server need to publish drive info
    >> better?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> John

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Thanks for the information. In regards to the lmhosts solutions, how would
    that be implemented? Would I just edit the lmhosts file on the client PC
    and add the IP address and the name of the server? Would I use the local IP
    address?

    Thanks again,

    John

    "Scott Harding" <scrockel@**NO_SPAM**hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Typically your remote users computers are not members of the domain or
    don't
    > have the same workgroup name either. Typically browsing is not much of an
    > option for this in a NT4 domain. You best bet here would be to use lmhosts
    > files with the necessary entries for the resources or create a batch file
    > that they can click on to get the shares they need. Browsing most likely
    > won't work in this case. In a Windows 2000 domain you can use DNS and
    > typically find what your after but actually browsing through Network
    > Neighborhood will be difficult if not impossible.
    >
    > --
    > Scott Harding
    > MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
    > Microsoft MVP - Windows NT Server
    >
    > "AnytimeAnywhere" <gm79ta@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >I recently setup a VPN on my NT 4.0 SP6a server using PPTP. Users can
    > > connect fine, but cannot browse for shared drives or map drives. Is
    this
    > > Master Browser issue? Or does the NT server need to publish drive info
    > > better?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > John

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    I have a WINS tab in my TCP/IP settings on the server. The Primary and
    Secondary WINS server address is the server's address. Is that correct?
    Also, 'Enable DNS for Windows Resolution' is unchecked. The remote users
    are getting a local address from the server that is in the same subnet as
    the server. They have no problem logging on.

    I had the users put the local address of the server in their WINS tab on the
    client PCs and that made no difference.

    Do I need to configure WINS more on the server?

    Thanks,

    John

    "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com> wrote in
    message news:uW%23YGHJYFHA.3732@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > The simple answer is to install WINS in your main
    > location and have your VPN clients get an address
    > on your local LAN and point towards your WINS
    > server.
    >
    > "AnytimeAnywhere" <gm79ta@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:
    > > I recently setup a VPN on my NT 4.0 SP6a server using PPTP. Users can
    > > connect fine, but cannot browse for shared drives or map drives. Is
    this
    > > Master Browser issue? Or does the NT server need to publish drive info
    > > better?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > John

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    When they get their IP address is it also giving them the address of the
    WINS server?

    --

    >I have a WINS tab in my TCP/IP settings on the server. The Primary and
    > Secondary WINS server address is the server's address. Is that correct?
    > Also, 'Enable DNS for Windows Resolution' is unchecked. The remote users
    > are getting a local address from the server that is in the same subnet as
    > the server. They have no problem logging on.
    >
    > I had the users put the local address of the server in their WINS tab on
    > the
    > client PCs and that made no difference.
    >
    > Do I need to configure WINS more on the server?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > John
    >
    > "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com> wrote in
    > message news:uW%23YGHJYFHA.3732@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    >> The simple answer is to install WINS in your main
    >> location and have your VPN clients get an address
    >> on your local LAN and point towards your WINS
    >> server.
    >>
    >> "AnytimeAnywhere" <gm79ta@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:
    >> > I recently setup a VPN on my NT 4.0 SP6a server using PPTP. Users can
    >> > connect fine, but cannot browse for shared drives or map drives. Is
    > this
    >> > Master Browser issue? Or does the NT server need to publish drive info
    >> > better?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks,
    >> >
    >> > John

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    WINS is a dynamic solution to lmhosts files but here is
    the information you need for the lmhosts file entries:
    Domain Browsing with TCP/IP and LMHOSTS Files
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;150800

    "AnytimeAnywhere" <gm79ta@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:
    > Thanks for the information. In regards to the lmhosts solutions, how
    would
    > that be implemented? Would I just edit the lmhosts file on the client PC
    > and add the IP address and the name of the server? Would I use the local
    IP
    > address?
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    "AnytimeAnywhere" <gm79ta@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:
    > I have a WINS tab in my TCP/IP settings on the server. The Primary and
    > Secondary WINS server address is the server's address. Is that correct?
    > Also, 'Enable DNS for Windows Resolution' is unchecked. The remote users
    > are getting a local address from the server that is in the same subnet as
    > the server. They have no problem logging on.

    Yes the WINS Server should point to itself for primary and
    secondary in it's tcp/ip properties.

    > I had the users put the local address of the server in their WINS tab on
    the
    > client PCs and that made no difference.

    Where on the clients PCs? You need to add it to the
    tcp/ip properties of the VPN adapter or have RRAS
    assign addresses using DHCP and make the WINS
    Server is specified along with the NeBIOS Node
    Type. Have a look at the following for more
    details:

    How to Use DHCP to Provide Routing and Remote Access Clients with Additional
    DHCP Options
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;232703

    > Do I need to configure WINS more on the server?

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    No, I don't see it listed.

    > When they get their IP address is it also giving them the address of the
    > WINS server?
    >
    > --
    > Scott Harding
    > MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
    > Microsoft MVP - Windows NT Server
    >
    > "AnytimeAnywhere" <gm79ta@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >I have a WINS tab in my TCP/IP settings on the server. The Primary and
    > > Secondary WINS server address is the server's address. Is that correct?
    > > Also, 'Enable DNS for Windows Resolution' is unchecked. The remote
    users
    > > are getting a local address from the server that is in the same subnet
    as
    > > the server. They have no problem logging on.
    > >
    > > I had the users put the local address of the server in their WINS tab on
    > > the
    > > client PCs and that made no difference.
    > >
    > > Do I need to configure WINS more on the server?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > John
    > >
    > > "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com> wrote
    in
    > > message news:uW%23YGHJYFHA.3732@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > >> The simple answer is to install WINS in your main
    > >> location and have your VPN clients get an address
    > >> on your local LAN and point towards your WINS
    > >> server.

    > > this

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    I made a simple lmhosts file and sent it to my remote user. I used the
    example from Q150800. I substituted my local server address, domian, and
    server name in the example. This had no effect for the remote user.
    However, I just discovered that the PCs they are using for VPN are XP Home
    PCs. Is this a problem?

    Thanks

    "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com> wrote in
    message news:exolBxJYFHA.3732@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > WINS is a dynamic solution to lmhosts files but here is
    > the information you need for the lmhosts file entries:
    > Domain Browsing with TCP/IP and LMHOSTS Files
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;150800
    >
    > "AnytimeAnywhere" <gm79ta@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:
    > > Thanks for the information. In regards to the lmhosts solutions, how
    > would
    > > that be implemented? Would I just edit the lmhosts file on the client
    PC
    > > and add the IP address and the name of the server? Would I use the
    local
    > IP
    > > address?

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    No it shouldn't be. Did you have the clients preload the cache
    and run nbtstat -c to see if the names were in the cache?

    "AnytimeAnywhere" <gm79ta@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:
    > I made a simple lmhosts file and sent it to my remote user. I used the
    > example from Q150800. I substituted my local server address, domian, and
    > server name in the example. This had no effect for the remote user.
    > However, I just discovered that the PCs they are using for VPN are XP Home
    > PCs. Is this a problem?
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Yes, although the server name and domain did not show up. However, a
    computer on their PtP network and its IP address did show up under 'Name'
    and 'Host Address.' Below the name is our VPN information - Node IpAddress,
    a blank Scope Id, and the text - 'No names in cache.' Two questions: Is
    this PC looking for the drive on the wrong computer? And, are the server
    name and domain not loading?

    Thanks again,

    John

    "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com> wrote in
    message news:Otm2dGiYFHA.3488@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > No it shouldn't be. Did you have the clients preload the cache
    > and run nbtstat -c to see if the names were in the cache?
    >
    > "AnytimeAnywhere" <gm79ta@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:
    > > I made a simple lmhosts file and sent it to my remote user. I used the
    > > example from Q150800. I substituted my local server address, domian,
    and
    > > server name in the example. This had no effect for the remote user.
    > > However, I just discovered that the PCs they are using for VPN are XP
    > > PCs. Is this a problem?

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Just to update both of you, I experimented with the lmhosts file and hit on
    the right combination of settings and now my remote users can access shared
    drives.

    Many Thanks,

    John

    "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com> wrote in
    message news:%23E43o1JYFHA.1240@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

    > "AnytimeAnywhere" <gm79ta@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:
    > > I have a WINS tab in my TCP/IP settings on the server. The Primary and
    > > Secondary WINS server address is the server's address. Is that correct?
    > > Also, 'Enable DNS for Windows Resolution' is unchecked. The remote
    users
    > > are getting a local address from the server that is in the same subnet
    as
    > > the server. They have no problem logging on.
    >
    > Yes the WINS Server should point to itself for primary and
    > secondary in it's tcp/ip properties.
    >

    > > I had the users put the local address of the server in their WINS tab on
    > the
    > > client PCs and that made no difference.
    >
    > Where on the clients PCs? You need to add it to the
    > tcp/ip properties of the VPN adapter or have RRAS
    > assign addresses using DHCP and make the WINS
    > Server is specified along with the NeBIOS Node
    > Type. Have a look at the following for more
    > details:
    >
    > How to Use DHCP to Provide Routing and Remote Access Clients with
    Additional
    > DHCP Options
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;232703
    >

    > > Do I need to configure WINS more on the server?

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Good to hear.. Thanks for the update..

    > Just to update both of you, I experimented with the lmhosts file and hit
    on
    > the right combination of settings and now my remote users can access
    shared
    > drives.

Connection VPN Servers Windows