going crazy .... USB 2.0 probem on Asus A7V8X-X with XP Pr..

Hi all,
The 4 USB ports on the back of this motherboard are all supposed to be
USB 2.0 ports. When I plug in a USB 2.0 device, I receive a warning
that the device can perform faster if I plug it into a 2.0 port. (Grr
.... They're all supposed to be 2.0!) Anyway, I've tried all the ports
and none of them are recognized as 2.0. In the device manager, there is
one enhanced host controller (2.0) but it doesn't correspond to any
physical port. I've tried them all. Any ideas?
I tried choosing update driver in the device manager. No luck. Is
there a specific file or location that I should point to?
This one is driving me crazy, so any help would be greatly
appreciated.
Thanks,
-K

Asus A7V8X-X
XP Pro SP2

Hi, I didn't see an option to enable full speed 2.0. When I checked it
earlier, I only saw an option to enable USB legacy support. No mention
of 2.0 that I could find. I would assume that with this relatively new
motherboard that it's on by default.
Thx,
-K

<swatkaizen@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> The 4 USB ports on the back of this motherboard are all supposed to
be
> USB 2.0 ports. When I plug in a USB 2.0 device, I receive a warning
> that the device can perform faster if I plug it into a 2.0 port.
(Grr
> ... They're all supposed to be 2.0!) Anyway, I've tried all the
ports
> and none of them are recognized as 2.0. In the device manager, there
is
> one enhanced host controller (2.0) but it doesn't correspond to any
> physical port. I've tried them all. Any ideas?
> I tried choosing update driver in the device manager. No luck. Is
> there a specific file or location that I should point to?
> This one is driving me crazy, so any help would be greatly
> appreciated.

Have you enabled full speed 2.0 in your mobo's bios?

<swatkaizen@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> The 4 USB ports on the back of this motherboard are all supposed to be
> USB 2.0 ports. When I plug in a USB 2.0 device, I receive a warning
> that the device can perform faster if I plug it into a 2.0 port. (Grr
> ... They're all supposed to be 2.0!) Anyway, I've tried all the ports
> and none of them are recognized as 2.0. In the device manager, there is
> one enhanced host controller (2.0) but it doesn't correspond to any
> physical port. I've tried them all. Any ideas?
> I tried choosing update driver in the device manager. No luck. Is
> there a specific file or location that I should point to?
> This one is driving me crazy, so any help would be greatly
> appreciated.
> Thanks,
> -K
>
> Asus A7V8X-X
> XP Pro SP2

A help desk once suggested to uninstall all the USB devices/controllers and
reboot - under the theory that sometimes USB/WinXP 'gets confused'. It
didn't solve the issue I was working on, but I've seen others refer to it.

FWIW, my understanding is the entry "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host
Controller" is what enables USB 2.0. So, with it showing in your Device
Manager, it 'should' work.

Just to confirm, there aren't any yellow or red marks in your Device
Manager?

fj wrote:

> <swatkaizen@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Hi all,
>>The 4 USB ports on the back of this motherboard are all supposed to be
>>USB 2.0 ports. When I plug in a USB 2.0 device, I receive a warning
>>that the device can perform faster if I plug it into a 2.0 port. (Grr
>>... They're all supposed to be 2.0!) Anyway, I've tried all the ports
>>and none of them are recognized as 2.0. In the device manager, there is
>>one enhanced host controller (2.0) but it doesn't correspond to any
>>physical port. I've tried them all. Any ideas?
>>I tried choosing update driver in the device manager. No luck. Is
>>there a specific file or location that I should point to?
>>This one is driving me crazy, so any help would be greatly
>>appreciated.
>>Thanks,
>>-K
>>
>>Asus A7V8X-X
>>XP Pro SP2
>
> A help desk once suggested to uninstall all the USB devices/controllers and
> reboot - under the theory that sometimes USB/WinXP 'gets confused'. It
> didn't solve the issue I was working on, but I've seen others refer to it.
>
> FWIW, my understanding is the entry "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host
> Controller" is what enables USB 2.0. So, with it showing in your Device
> Manager, it 'should' work.
>
> Just to confirm, there aren't any yellow or red marks in your Device
> Manager?

If there are yellow marks next to those devices, I believe you can
have Windows update them for you. It worked with my board (Asus A8V)
when the method Asus suggested (SP2 would do it automatically) didn't
work.

MadMax

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2003

"" wrote:
> fj wrote:
>
> > <swatkaizen@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>Hi all,
> >>The 4 USB ports on the back of this motherboard are all
> supposed to be
> >>USB 2.0 ports. When I plug in a USB 2.0 device, I receive a
> warning
> >>that the device can perform faster if I plug it into a 2.0
> port. (Grr
> >>... They're all supposed to be 2.0!) Anyway, I've tried all
> the ports
> >>and none of them are recognized as 2.0. In the device
> manager, there is
> >>one enhanced host controller (2.0) but it doesn't correspond
> to any
> >>physical port. I've tried them all. Any ideas?
> >>I tried choosing update driver in the device manager. No
> luck. Is
> >>there a specific file or location that I should point to?
> >>This one is driving me crazy, so any help would be greatly
> >>appreciated.
> >>Thanks,
> >>-K
> >>
> >>Asus A7V8X-X
> >>XP Pro SP2
> >
> > A help desk once suggested to uninstall all the USB
> devices/controllers and
> > reboot - under the theory that sometimes USB/WinXP 'gets
> confused'. It
> > didn't solve the issue I was working on, but I've seen
> others refer to it.
> >
> > FWIW, my understanding is the entry "Standard Enhanced PCI
> to USB Host
> > Controller" is what enables USB 2.0. So, with it showing in
> your Device
> > Manager, it 'should' work.
> >
> > Just to confirm, there aren't any yellow or red marks in
> your Device
> > Manager?
>
> If there are yellow marks next to those devices, I believe you
> can
> have Windows update them for you. It worked with my board
> (Asus A8V)
> when the method Asus suggested (SP2 would do it automatically)
> didn't
> work.

i had the same problam but not with an asus mine is an elitegroup
mother board. after installed sp2 it was ok again i think its somthing
mainly to do with windows xp. if that fails to work look in your bio’s
settings and see if its on in there

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Home-Built-crazy-USB-probem-Asus-A7V8X-XP-Pro-SP2-ftopict61999.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=312723

Thanks everyone, but there are no yellow exclamation marks and
everything is up to date. I checked Asus and MS. I had already tried
removing the hardware in the device manager and having XP rediscover
it, but no luck.

It seems as if Asus says it's USB 2.0 but XP SP2 says it's not. If
someone has USB 2.0 definitely working on this mobo, I'd love to know.

Thanks,
-K

jad

did you update drivers and point to the CD that came with the Mobo?