Question about Network Card settings (duplex, etc)

Oozy

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2005

Does anyone know what the best settings are for NIC card that's built into
an nforce2 motherboard? I have the normal full or half dulpex and 10 or 100
options, but I can also "autonegotiate" for each settting. I'm sharing my
connection with a router if that matters.

Also, there's an option called "Optimize For" and the choices are CPU and
Throughput. Is one setting better than the other? Would the CPU setting
effect the overclocking of my processor?

Thanks.

Howdy!

"Oozy" <oozy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know what the best settings are for NIC card that's built into
> an nforce2 motherboard? I have the normal full or half dulpex and 10 or
100
> options, but I can also "autonegotiate" for each settting. I'm sharing my
> connection with a router if that matters.

I'd leave it at "AutoNegotiate". That way, it'll match your router
automatically.

You can lock it for whatever reason (CAT3 in wall = 10Mbit only,
older switch that doesn't autonegotiate properly = lock to half duplex if
you desire, etc.) But autonegotiate is usually preferred.

> Also, there's an option called "Optimize For" and the choices are CPU and
> Throughput. Is one setting better than the other? Would the CPU setting
> effect the overclocking of my processor?

No, the CPU setting on a NIC won't ever effect overclocking of the
main CPU. You effect that by changing the multiplier or the front side buss
speed of the CPU.

It shouldn't AFFECT it either.

If you run a lot of data to and from other machines (and if you're
asking this, you're either blatantly incompetent as a sysadmin of a system
that big - and a total idiot of you're even THINKING of overclocking the
server for your company with 10,000 employees!) then you'd want to optimize
"throughput". Normally, you'd optimize for "CPU" which means that packets
might be delayed by a few microseconds or so at worst.

RwP