Wireless connection 3km away

Hi,

I am trying to help a friend who lives in an olf farm in a remote
location, where unfortunately phone lines don't allow ADSL because of
the distance, and no TV cable is available.

A nearby village has been trying internet over the 220V current network,
but it would take repetitors and amplificators every 300m to reach their
farm, and it would cost them a lot. But the village also has cable TV
and ADSL is available there.

The village is about 3 km away and there is nothing between my friend's
house and the village, only fields and even the fields are well below
the line of sight.

If my friend could convince one of the village people to let him use
their phone line for ADSL and place an access point on the house wall,
maybe he could use a directional antenna to reach that house ?

What kind of equipment would be best in that case ? He lives in
Switzerland and if the needed hardware is not available there, it should
be possible to order it.

Thank you for all suggestions.

Lorenzo

Malke

Lorenzo Sandini wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to help a friend who lives in an olf farm in a remote
> location, where unfortunately phone lines don't allow ADSL because of
> the distance, and no TV cable is available.
>
> A nearby village has been trying internet over the 220V current
> network, but it would take repetitors and amplificators every 300m to
> reach their farm, and it would cost them a lot. But the village also
> has cable TV and ADSL is available there.
>
> The village is about 3 km away and there is nothing between my
> friend's house and the village, only fields and even the fields are
> well below the line of sight.
>
> If my friend could convince one of the village people to let him use
> their phone line for ADSL and place an access point on the house wall,
> maybe he could use a directional antenna to reach that house ?
>
> What kind of equipment would be best in that case ? He lives in
> Switzerland and if the needed hardware is not available there, it
> should be possible to order it.
>
> Thank you for all suggestions.
>
> Lorenzo

I don't have the answer for you, but here is a link that addresses
distances, etc.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Google for "wireless bridge outdoor".
This is price or quality question.
If they have money, they can get a high quality outdoor access link
like one of these
http://www.alvarion-usa.com/RunTime/Products_2010.asp?tNodeParam=13
Depending on antenna it reaches up to 15 km.

--PA