Migration

jamie

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2002

I'm in the process of migrating all of my Windows NT 4.0 Domain accounts to
Windows Server 2003 Standard, does anyone know if I migrate the user accounts
and their associated security identifiers, will it allow me after I change
the Windows 2003 Domain Controller domain name back to the old one, will it
automatically use or inherit the users existing profiles so their desktop
environments stay the same as they where when they were connected with the
Windows NT 4.0 domain controller. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Now that I think about it a bit Jamie. It depends on your
method of migrating the accounts e.g., if you install NT on
a new machine as a BDC then promote it to primary and
upgrade to W2k3 you should be okay.

"Jamie" <Jamie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> I'm in the process of migrating all of my Windows NT 4.0 Domain accounts
> Windows Server 2003 Standard, does anyone know if I migrate the user
accounts
> and their associated security identifiers, will it allow me after I change
> the Windows 2003 Domain Controller domain name back to the old one, will
it
> automatically use or inherit the users existing profiles so their desktop
> environments stay the same as they where when they were connected with the
> Windows NT 4.0 domain controller. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jamie

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2002

Thanks for responding to my post.

"Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:

> Now that I think about it a bit Jamie. It depends on your
> method of migrating the accounts e.g., if you install NT on
> a new machine as a BDC then promote it to primary and
> upgrade to W2k3 you should be okay.
>
> "Jamie" <Jamie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> > I'm in the process of migrating all of my Windows NT 4.0 Domain accounts
> > Windows Server 2003 Standard, does anyone know if I migrate the user
> accounts
> > and their associated security identifiers, will it allow me after I change
> > the Windows 2003 Domain Controller domain name back to the old one, will
> it
> > automatically use or inherit the users existing profiles so their desktop
> > environments stay the same as they where when they were connected with the
> > Windows NT 4.0 domain controller. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jamie

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2002

Do you have any other ways of going about this, I can't really upgrade the
Windows NT 4.0 Domain Controller because it doesn't have enough space left
for upgrades. The thing I'm really trying to do is map the existing users
profiles to the new server with having the user know that it's being done.

"Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:

> Now that I think about it a bit Jamie. It depends on your
> method of migrating the accounts e.g., if you install NT on
> a new machine as a BDC then promote it to primary and
> upgrade to W2k3 you should be okay.
>
> "Jamie" <Jamie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> > I'm in the process of migrating all of my Windows NT 4.0 Domain accounts
> > Windows Server 2003 Standard, does anyone know if I migrate the user
> accounts
> > and their associated security identifiers, will it allow me after I change
> > the Windows 2003 Domain Controller domain name back to the old one, will
> it
> > automatically use or inherit the users existing profiles so their desktop
> > environments stay the same as they where when they were connected with the
> > Windows NT 4.0 domain controller. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

How many users? If you have to physically move the
machine to a new domain then you will have problems
e.g., a new profile will be created. You then have to
migrate or copy and paste the contents of the old profile
to the newly created profile. I understand exactly what you
want but I am not so sure there is a way. Can you install
NT on the new server and choose BDC of your existing
domain then promote it to primary and upgrade to W2k.

"Jamie" <Jamie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> Do you have any other ways of going about this, I can't really upgrade the
> Windows NT 4.0 Domain Controller because it doesn't have enough space left
> for upgrades. The thing I'm really trying to do is map the existing users
> profiles to the new server with having the user know that it's being done.

jamie

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2002

I have about 210 users on the domain, I'll try the solution you have posted
and see if any know issues arise. Thanks for responding back so fast, do you
know of any third-party software companies who might have software that will
enable me to do this any easier. Once again thanks.