RAm troubleshooter

how to check if my ram is corrupt or not ......how to
know the problem is with ram not the programs which i am running

"sulli" <salmanakbar@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message news:7H0We.21170$1z2.13565@fe10.news.easynews.com...
> how to check if my ram is corrupt or not ......how to
> know the problem is with ram not the programs which i am running

Download "Memtest86" from http://www.memtest86.com and run
it for a few cycles.

-- Bob Day
http://bobday.vze.com

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 21:33:55 GMT As Androids Dreamed Of Electric Sheep
and then salmanakbar@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (sulli) wrote :

>how to check if my ram is corrupt or not ......how to
>know the problem is with ram not the programs which i am running

If you have more than one RAM module,take one out.
Try each module in each correct slot as the mother boards slots
themselves may be dirty or the RAM insecure in the slots.Do NOT! I
repeat NOT!!! download and run any software RAM testers as they are
complete and utter waste of time and will not tell you anything that
common sense and the above will and way faster.

--
Free Windows/PC help,

sulli wrote:

> how to check if my ram is corrupt or not ......how to
> know the problem is with ram not the programs which i am running

Use these two programs:

MemTest86 (www.memtest86.com)
Gold Memory (www.goldmemory.cz)

I suggest that you run Gold Memory first because it usually finds
errors faster than MemTest86 does, but do use both programs because
sometimes only one of these will detect errors. It's best to run each
one of these overnight, and in two cases it took 4+ hours before any
errors were found for my memory module.

Shep© wrote:

> Do NOT! I repeat NOT!!! download and run any software
> RAM testers as they are complete and utter waste of
> time and will not tell you anything that common sense
> and the above will and way faster.

Why do you keep saying this when many people have tracked down faults
by using diagnostics like MemTest86 and Gold Memory?

jad

both are utter garbage
"larry moe 'n curly" <larrymoencurly@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> sulli wrote:
>
> > how to check if my ram is corrupt or not ......how to
> > know the problem is with ram not the programs which i am running
>
> Use these two programs:
>
> MemTest86 (www.memtest86.com)
> Gold Memory (www.goldmemory.cz)
>
> I suggest that you run Gold Memory first because it usually finds
> errors faster than MemTest86 does, but do use both programs because
> sometimes only one of these will detect errors. It's best to run each
> one of these overnight, and in two cases it took 4+ hours before any
> errors were found for my memory module.

jad

Why don't people simply turn off FAST BOOT options and use the BIOS check?
So far I have seen that it still exist in the new boards that have past my
way. That's just as good as that download and 40 hrs of inaccurate diag
time.

BTW............Hi Shep

JAD wrote:

> Why don't people simply turn off FAST BOOT options and use the BIOS check?
> So far I have seen that it still exist in the new boards that have past my
> way. That's just as good as that download and 40 hrs of inaccurate diag
> time.

Why hasn't slow boot ever detected errors in any of my defective
modules that failed MemTest86 or Gold Memory? I've never used anything
but slow boot.

How do you and Shep explain why some memory diagnostic programs are
much more likely than to find errors than others? That's the
conclusion of RealWorldTech.com
(www.realworldtech.com/page.cfm?ArticleID=RWT120901222920 and
www.realworldtech.com/page.cfm?ArticleID=RWT052001232443). They said
that Gold Memory and MemTest86 were very good, SimmTester.com's DocMem
very bad, and that matches my experience.

jad

one word...promotion, realword has connections to the GNU world and most
who go there(gnu/linux world) get 'fanatic', and will support ANYTHING that
isn't MS, whether it works or not. Instead of going to BIAS opinionated
sites, go and look at the OTHER side of the story. Bottom line, I would
never throw out a 100$ memory mod based on software testing, period. SO why
would I bother going through 10 hrs of so called 'testing', just to take it
to the hardware tester to verify...no thanks, I'll spend the couple of bucks
to have the local tech shop test it correctly. Also, a year ago I ran into
an article that showed the relationship between certain software tester
producers and the MEMORY manufacturers. I can't tell you the number of times
that I had 'software' tested bad memory that checked fine at the hardware
test, ended up being the controller or PSU or improperly seated ram or bad
ram slot. Using them for me is a waste of time and time is money. Testing
anything 'within' the suspect machine is less than productive.

JAD wrote:

> one word...promotion, realword has connections to the GNU world and most
> who go there(gnu/linux world) get 'fanatic', and will support ANYTHING that
> isn't MS, whether it works or not. Instead of going to BIAS opinionated
> sites, go and look at the OTHER side of the story.

And where are the unbiased sites with that other side of the story
about memory diagnostics?

> Bottom line, I would never throw out a 100$ memory mod based
> on software testing, period. SO why would I bother going
> through 10 hrs of so called 'testing', just to take it to
> the hardware tester to verify...no thanks, I'll spend the
> couple of bucks to have the local tech shop test it correctly.
> Also, a year ago I ran into an article that showed the
> relationship between certain software tester producers and the
> MEMORY manufacturers. I can't tell you the number of times
> that I had 'software' tested bad memory that checked fine at
> the hardware test, ended up being the controller or PSU or
> improperly seated ram or bad ram slot. Using them for me is
> a waste of time and time is money. Testing anything 'within'
> the suspect machine is less than productive.

But when I test memory with software, it's only with other hardware
that's proved to be good (several computers), and that software never
found errors except with the new memory.

And how do I know that a hardware tester will be more thorough than
software? I have no reviews of them available to me, and I'm sure that
many shops use the cheapest testers available. Also one maker,
SIMMTester.com, gives out a fairly lousy diagnostic, DocMem, so why
should I expect its hardware to be good?