Chaintech CT-7NJL6 not booting properly

I just purchased the Barebones kit from TigerDirect with the Chaintech
7NJL6 mobo(w/ AMD Athlon XP 3000+) and added a 250GB HD, 1GB PC3200 +
512MB PC3200 RAM with a Chaintech GeForce FX 6600 video card. It has
a 500watt modular PSU, but it will not boot. It powers on and the
fans all spin, but there is no display at all. The memory is firmly
seated and I have tried disconnecting everything but the memory and
video card, but still it doesn't display. Any ideas? Thanks.

jad

reset the CMOS

"kam311" <kam311@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> I just purchased the Barebones kit from TigerDirect with the Chaintech
> 7NJL6 mobo(w/ AMD Athlon XP 3000+) and added a 250GB HD, 1GB PC3200 +
> 512MB PC3200 RAM with a Chaintech GeForce FX 6600 video card. It has
> a 500watt modular PSU, but it will not boot. It powers on and the
> fans all spin, but there is no display at all. The memory is firmly
> seated and I have tried disconnecting everything but the memory and
> video card, but still it doesn't display. Any ideas? Thanks.

Tried that. I reset the CMOS, still nothing. I stripped everything
off the board except the CPU, and there were no system beeps or
anything. I reseated the CPU(AMD Athlon XP 3000+) and heatsink, but
to no avail. Running out of ideas here...(I even tried unplugging
the CPU fan to see if I got system beeps, but didn't get any).

jad

that was going to be my next question (beeps). no beeps and the speaker is
connected properly, usually ends up being the MB or the CPU

> Tried that. I reset the CMOS, still nothing. I stripped everything
> off the board except the CPU, and there were no system beeps or
> anything. I reseated the CPU(AMD Athlon XP 3000+) and heatsink, but
> to no avail. Running out of ideas here...(I even tried unplugging
> the CPU fan to see if I got system beeps, but didn't get any).

Yeah, I decided it was 1 of the 2. Both are brand new, it's
frustrating to think TigerDirect would send a defective part. I've
had great success with them before. I'm currently testing to see if
the heatsink warms up when it's on for awhile. Have you found this
to be an accurate test of the CPU? If not, I've got another 3000+ in
my other PC i guess i could test with. Thanks.

Update: I put my CPU (identical one) in the new PC. Still nothing.
The CPU is about a year old and in perfect condition. I put the CPU
in question in my PC and it boots fine. I guess the issue must be
with the mobo. Any suggestions or ideas as to why it may not be
running post or beeping, know that it is the mobo? Thanks.

kam311 wrote:
> Update: I put my CPU (identical one) in the new PC. Still nothing.
> The CPU is about a year old and in perfect condition. I put the CPU
> in question in my PC and it boots fine. I guess the issue must be
> with the mobo. Any suggestions or ideas as to why it may not be
> running post or beeping, know that it is the mobo? Thanks.

Remove one of the memory chips and see if it will boot.

Bob

jad

PSU voltage selector is set properly?

> Update: I put my CPU (identical one) in the new PC. Still nothing.
> The CPU is about a year old and in perfect condition. I put the CPU
> in question in my PC and it boots fine. I guess the issue must be
> with the mobo. Any suggestions or ideas as to why it may not be
> running post or beeping, know that it is the mobo? Thanks.

Tried that several times. One of the first things that came to mind,
anyway...no such luck.

kam311 wrote:
> I just purchased the Barebones kit from TigerDirect with the Chaintech
> 7NJL6 mobo(w/ AMD Athlon XP 3000+) and added a 250GB HD, 1GB PC3200 +
> 512MB PC3200 RAM with a Chaintech GeForce FX 6600 video card. It has
> a 500watt modular PSU, but it will not boot. It powers on and the
> fans all spin, but there is no display at all. The memory is firmly
> seated and I have tried disconnecting everything but the memory and
> video card, but still it doesn't display. Any ideas? Thanks.

There have been several reports (here and elsewhere) of a large number
of failures with the Chaintech 7NJL6 motherboards. The failures have
ranged from what you describe (no POST) to unstable/erratic operation.

I teach an A+ class and we used (or tried to use) those motherboards
with disastrous results. We wound up sending them all back.

My personal recommendation would be to get an RMA# from Chaintech and
then call TigerDirect to make arrangements to ship the motherboard back.
You *don't* want an exchange. You want something from a different
manufacturer. We used MSI.

It appears that *some* of the 7NJL6 motherboards are OK. If you get a
good one, consider yourself lucky. If you get a bad one, dump it right
away and get something else.

Hope this helps.

John
--
John P. Dearing
A+, Network+, Server+

Thanks, I've already ordered a new mobo. This isn't my PC, but I'm
going to try a Gigabyte board. Apparently's it's gotten good
reviews. Personally, I'm a big fan of Soyo and Epox. Just a hassle,
is all...Thanks again.

jad

HEY! you have the same darn video card that another poster used, he failed
to hook up the power to the vidcard....you too?

> Thanks, I've already ordered a new mobo. This isn't my PC, but I'm
> going to try a Gigabyte board. Apparently's it's gotten good
> reviews. Personally, I'm a big fan of Soyo and Epox. Just a hassle,
> is all...Thanks again.

Nope, hooked the power to the card fine. Not an issue.

Have you checked to see if all voltages are getting to the board?
You should be able to back probe the MOBO connector. For pinout, you
can search, or find one in the ULTRA PS forum. It also shows what to
jumper to fire up the PS while disconnected.
Do a double check of all jumpers, connectors and make sure MOBO is
properly screwed to case. I came across someone saying they used the
plastic washers for the standoffs. Pretty sure their case used
different holes on the MObO for mounting, as I needed them not.
On jumpers, I'd remove, visually check and reinstall. Could be
something as simple as the USB jumper in the wrong position for your
hardware and getting an immediate hang.
Also if you have the green switch in addition to the power, I'd just
disconnect temporarily. Also master slave jumpers on HDD & CD
etc. I've made that mistake and not gotten anything on a different
machine.
Start with Bios reset once you are satisfied everything is correct,
per manual. Boot to bIOS and set optimum defaults. Try booting to OS
install disk. Note, I have some install disks, SE upgrade from 98
only, and ME upgrade that will do nothing unless I manage to get into
some DOS first. Have to have bootable CD, unless you have floppy drive
and use startup disk. If using WD drive, their CD is bootable.

> kam311wrote:
I just purchased the Barebones kit from TigerDirect with the
Chaintech 7NJL6 mobo(w/ AMD Athlon XP 3000+) and added a 250GB HD,
1GB PC3200 + 512MB PC3200 RAM with a Chaintech GeForce FX 6600 video
card. It has a 500watt modular PSU, but it will not boot. It powers
on and the fans all spin, but there is no display at all. The memory
is firmly seated and I have tried disconnecting everything but the
memory and video card, but still it doesn't display. Any ideas?
Thanks.
Just noted the modular PS. Another area of my suspicions. I have an
Ultra 400?. This is twice as many power connections to not make
properly. And their connectors didn't exactly follow the AMP
origianal, maybe patent licensing. Result is the pins/sockets don't
float in the jack/plug. And they are not gold plated. If tinned pins,
they usually contain some level of lead as in solder and it easily
gets a dark oxide coating that doesn't conduct well. (Look at car
battery terminals, not the fluffy stuff but the dark) This is easily
removed with scraping action or plugging and unplugging a few times.
To prevent it from coming back, I used a stiff silicone grease
intended for automotive bulb sockets. It is a white transluscent
grease but slightly thicker than that silicone tuneup grease. If
uncertain about conductivity, check a dab of it with a meter set to
high resistance scale. You want it non-conductive. Place or smear a
small amount into/onto each contact. Make connection a few times to
help spread it and coat the contact surface. Also the main power
cable is quite stiff and depending upon your layout is likely to put
an inordinate amount of lateral pressure to the connections. Try to
preform the cable to relieve this strain and in my case that included
a single loop midway. That outer plastic casing molds better with
warmth.
Also I read of some cases having shorts in the front jacks. Leave
temporarily disconnected.

Thanks for the advice, but I've installed a new mobo, and it posts
fine and boots. The new issue is CPU heating. The blower fan from
thermaltake didn't do the job, so i tried the ht-101 heatpipe and fan
combo from aerocool. Even worse, it got up to about 160 in a minute.
Thermal grease, good contact on the die of the CPU and
everything...couldn't figure it out. I used my Jet 7+ from my
personal PC and it kept it under 130 at full power. This is still a
little high fo my tastes, as my PC stays at about 120F at low fan
speed setting and full CPU utilization.
Any recommendations for an AMD XP 3000+ that would keep it cool, and
ideally, fairly quiet? Keep in mind, I don't quite have the
clearance for a Jet 7 blower fan in this case unless I make some mods
to the duct work on the side panel. Thanks.