Question on Virtual Memory and best settings

I have installed 2GB's of Corsair's DDR2 memory in my computer but
constantly get the error message that Virtual Memory is low and
Windows (XP Pro) will need to increase it. My computer crawls
intermittently.
1st, how much memory would be ideal for me to set as Virtual Memory?
2nd, Is there a 3rd party memory manager which will automatically
release memory being hogged by badly written programs?
Thanks
Arawak

jad

'Norton anything installed?

"Arawak" <fake.address@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have installed 2GB's of Corsair's DDR2 memory in my computer but
> constantly get the error message that Virtual Memory is low and
> Windows (XP Pro) will need to increase it. My computer crawls
> intermittently.
> 1st, how much memory would be ideal for me to set as Virtual Memory?
> 2nd, Is there a 3rd party memory manager which will automatically
> release memory being hogged by badly written programs?
> Thanks
> Arawak

"Arawak" <fake.address@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have installed 2GB's of Corsair's DDR2 memory in my computer but
> constantly get the error message that Virtual Memory is low and
> Windows (XP Pro) will need to increase it. My computer crawls
> intermittently.
> 1st, how much memory would be ideal for me to set as Virtual Memory?
> 2nd, Is there a 3rd party memory manager which will automatically
> release memory being hogged by badly written programs?
> Thanks
> Arawak

See http://www.standards.com/index.html?PageFileUsageMonitor

The tool at the above URL will allow you to monitor how much space you
really need.

My system has the OS on the J drive.
On the C drive, I have a fixed-size 64MB pagefile.
On the G drive, I have a variable-size 128-1152MB page file.

I last rebooted yesterday morning.
Since then, the max used for the pagefile has been:

On C, 15MB
On G, 20MB.

--
http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.

"Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com> wrote...
> "Arawak" <fake.address@hotmail.com> wrote...
>> I have installed 2GB's of Corsair's DDR2 memory in my computer but
>> constantly get the error message that Virtual Memory is low and
>> Windows (XP Pro) will need to increase it. My computer crawls
>> intermittently.
>> 1st, how much memory would be ideal for me to set as Virtual Memory?
>> 2nd, Is there a 3rd party memory manager which will automatically
>> release memory being hogged by badly written programs?

With 2 GB RAM, I'd start with a fixed 512 MB pagefile.

If the programs aren't releasing the VM, you need to write to the vendors and
ask them to fix the programs.

> See http://www.standards.com/index.html?PageFileUsageMonitor
>
> The tool at the above URL will allow you to monitor how much space you
> really need.

Task Manager (Ctrl-Shift-Esc) will also show you dynamically what
programs/processes are using the VM. Just add the VM column to the Processes
tab. The Performance tab will show you the peak use.

> My system has the OS on the J drive.
> On the C drive, I have a fixed-size 64MB pagefile.
> On the G drive, I have a variable-size 128-1152MB page file.

May be needlessly complex, but if it works for you, that's fine.

In general, a fixed pagefile size will give better performance because there is
less overhead than with the dynamic resizing.

"John Weiss" <jrweiss98155(at)@[nospam]comcast(dot).net> wrote in message
> Task Manager (Ctrl-Shift-Esc) will also show you dynamically what
> programs/processes are using the VM. Just add the VM column to the
Processes
> tab. The Performance tab will show you the peak use.

Task manager does not show the needed info, at least not in Win 2000.

"Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com> wrote...

>> Task Manager (Ctrl-Shift-Esc) will also show you dynamically what
>> programs/processes are using the VM. Just add the VM column to the
>> Processes tab. The Performance tab will show you the peak use.
>
> Task manager does not show the needed info, at least not in Win 2000.

TM in W2K shows the described information when configured to do so. It may not
do it by default, but can be configured in the Processes tab, View, Select
Columns. I just looked at it on my W2K machine...

Windows 2000Pro.
To change pagefile, go into Control Panel/System/Performance Options. Change
to whatever you need. I have 1GB ram my pagefile is set to 768-1536. You can
make a permanent Pagefile by making both numbers the same.Don't set it too
small though.768 is reccommended.

"dawg" <don't look@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> Windows 2000Pro.
> To change pagefile, go into Control Panel/System/Performance Options.
Change
> to whatever you need. I have 1GB ram my pagefile is set to 768-1536. You
can
> make a permanent Pagefile by making both numbers the same.Don't set it too
> small though.768 is reccommended.

I did not ask how to set VM.

> "Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com> wrote...
>
> >> Task Manager (Ctrl-Shift-Esc) will also show you dynamically what
> >> programs/processes are using the VM. Just add the VM column to the
> >> Processes tab. The Performance tab will show you the peak use.
> >
> > Task manager does not show the needed info, at least not in Win 2000.
>
> TM in W2K shows the described information when configured to do so. It
may not
> do it by default, but can be configured in the Processes tab, View, Select
> Columns. I just looked at it on my W2K machine...

The link I posted provides a program that reports the used page file size,
not the vm for individual programs.
Most folkes set the page file way too large.

See MSFT KB article 889654, tho mistitled, the article is very useful.