AMD 2800+ Barton running too hot!!

axess68

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2005

I was overclocking my CPU for the first time ever the other day and
blew my garbage power supply. So, I went to the store and picked up a
decent Antec PSU 500watt.

My Specs:
AMD 2800+ Barton Core - Socket A
ASUS A7N8X v2.0
Stock AMD Heatsink and Fan
nVidia 6600GT

Well, it's been hot here (my room is between 75-80f degrees usually
when it's hot outside) and my CPU has been idling at 60-63c and going
up to 69-70 during gaming (according to ASUS Probe). That seems VERY
hot to me! When I replaced my Power Supply, I cleaned off my CPU (had
whitish thermal paste plus parts of the greyish pad on the bottom of
the heatsink). I cleaned the bottom of the heatsink completely and
got some new thermal paste from a local tech in the area. The paste
is grey. I'm sure it's not the best paste. It has no name on it and
looks like it came with a cpu kit.

So, I applied the grey paste to the CPU die like it says on all the
websites, and I also applied it to the bottom of the heatsink and
buffed it in with a plastic bag over my fingers (like all the
websites say). So, to make a long story short, I did everything
correctly.

I also took the overclocking down to only a little bit over normal.
So, my CPU is running at 2100mhz now instead of 2090mhz Probe has it
idling at 60 right now and it goes to 68-70 when gaming.

I ordered some Artic Silver paste along with a Heatsink + Fan that got
great reviews on Newegg. They come in Monday. Think that will solve my
problem somewhat? Is that greyish thermal paste lousy?

Thanks for reading my ramblings.

> My Specs:
> AMD 2800+ Barton Core - Socket A
> ASUS A7N8X v2.0
> Stock AMD Heatsink and Fan
> nVidia 6600GT
>

> Well, it's been hot here (my room is between 75-80f degrees usually
> when it's hot outside) and my CPU has been idling at 60-63c and going
> up to 69-70 during gaming (according to ASUS Probe). That seems VERY
> hot to me! When I replaced my Power Supply, I cleaned off my CPU (had
> whitish thermal paste plus parts of the greyish pad on the bottom of
> the heatsink). I cleaned the bottom of the heatsink completely and
> got some new thermal paste from a local tech in the area. The paste
> is grey. I'm sure it's not the best paste. It has no name on it and
> looks like it came with a cpu kit.

I'm running the exact same processor on a Soyo KT600 board with the stock
HSF combo and I run at about 52C idle and I have no idea under load in an
non-air conditioned environment in July. Just something to compare you
results to.

axess68 wrote:

> I was overclocking my CPU for the first time

> AMD 2800+ Barton Core - Socket A
> ASUS A7N8X v2.0
> Stock AMD Heatsink and Fan

69-70 during heavy use isn't excessive for most silicon, including your
CPU. Some silicon power devices are designed for 200C.

> I cleaned off my CPU (had whitish thermal paste plus
> parts of the greyish pad on the bottom of the heatsink).

Normal practice is to use only thermal paste or only a thermal pad, not
the 2 together. Intel has used grey paste for its factory-installed
CPU heatsinks.

> I also took the overclocking down to only a little bit over normal.
> So, my CPU is running at 2100mhz now instead of 2090mhz Probe has it
> idling at 60 right now and it goes to 68-70 when gaming.

You may have demonstrated that the original application of thermal
paste was correct. Different paste rarely makes much of a difference,
but a different heatsink or fan can.

"axess68" <axess68@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
>I was overclocking my CPU for the first time ever the other day and
> blew my garbage power supply. So, I went to the store and picked up a
> decent Antec PSU 500watt.
>
> My Specs:
> AMD 2800+ Barton Core - Socket A
> ASUS A7N8X v2.0
> Stock AMD Heatsink and Fan
> nVidia 6600GT
>

> Well, it's been hot here (my room is between 75-80f degrees usually
> when it's hot outside) and my CPU has been idling at 60-63c and going
> up to 69-70 during gaming (according to ASUS Probe). That seems VERY
> hot to me! When I replaced my Power Supply, I cleaned off my CPU (had
> whitish thermal paste plus parts of the greyish pad on the bottom of
> the heatsink). I cleaned the bottom of the heatsink completely and
> got some new thermal paste from a local tech in the area. The paste
> is grey. I'm sure it's not the best paste. It has no name on it and
> looks like it came with a cpu kit.
>
> So, I applied the grey paste to the CPU die like it says on all the
> websites, and I also applied it to the bottom of the heatsink and
> buffed it in with a plastic bag over my fingers (like all the
> websites say). So, to make a long story short, I did everything
> correctly.
>
> I also took the overclocking down to only a little bit over normal.
> So, my CPU is running at 2100mhz now instead of 2090mhz Probe has it
> idling at 60 right now and it goes to 68-70 when gaming.
>
> I ordered some Artic Silver paste along with a Heatsink + Fan that got
> great reviews on Newegg. They come in Monday. Think that will solve my
> problem somewhat? Is that greyish thermal paste lousy?
Unless improperly installed/applied, thermal grease/tape won't make more the
several C difference. A higher capacity heatsink/fan can make a big
difference. If the heatsink can accept different fans [i.e., the fan is
attached with screws in the normal holes], you can also 'tune' the fan to
tradeoff between low temps [high CFM/high noise fan] and higher temps [lower
CFM/lower noise fan].

Lastly, the CPU itself is guaranteed to work up to 90C by AMD => so
operating at 70 C is no problem [even though you will probably be able to
get it to operate significantly cooler].
My AthlonXP's [3200 and 2600] operate ~ 45 C at idle and 53 C at full load -
with room at 72 F.

> Thanks for reading my ramblings.

axess68

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2005

90C?!?! I read on AMD's website that 80c is the limit for my CPU.

I would think anything above 75 would be too much.

My system, with downloads going on and websites/chat rooms active,
sits at 60-61c. When gaming today, it went up to 69c.

My room is warm ~80f. I dont have air conditioning and it's been hot
up here lately.

> 90C?!?! I read on AMD's website that 80c is the limit for my CPU.
Take a look at AMD's Athlon XP Model 10 datasheet. Max operating temp is 85
C [Model 6 was 90 C - sorry]
I know we're all focused on the 40 C to 50 C range as 'good', but the
manufacturer guarantees a much higher temp. Interesting, hunh?

From talking with Antec support, they say that most pc's run between 45 and
55 C - of course many others are higher or lower.

HTH

> I would think anything above 75 would be too much.
>
> My system, with downloads going on and websites/chat rooms active,
> sits at 60-61c. When gaming today, it went up to 69c.
>
> My room is warm ~80f. I dont have air conditioning and it's been hot
> up here lately.

jaster

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 21:33:19 +0000, axess68 thoughtfully wrote:

> I was overclocking my CPU for the first time ever the other day and blew
> my garbage power supply. So, I went to the store and picked up a decent
> Antec PSU 500watt.
>
> My Specs:
> AMD 2800+ Barton Core - Socket A
> ASUS A7N8X v2.0
> Stock AMD Heatsink and Fan
> nVidia 6600GT
>

> Well, it's been hot here (my room is between 75-80f degrees usually when
> it's hot outside) and my CPU has been idling at 60-63c and going up to
> 69-70 during gaming (according to ASUS Probe). That seems VERY hot to me!
> When I replaced my Power Supply, I cleaned off my CPU (had whitish thermal
> paste plus parts of the greyish pad on the bottom of the heatsink). I
> cleaned the bottom of the heatsink completely and got some new thermal
> paste from a local tech in the area. The paste is grey. I'm sure it's not
> the best paste. It has no name on it and looks like it came with a cpu
> kit.

Damn.... and I complain about the 55-59C of my XP2000 at average room 83F.

The real annoying thing is I have 2 PCs the newer m/b is a AMD64-3000
with a CoolerMaster C8-8 something. Under the same conditions it runs
48C idle - 51C gaming and the fans are barely audible.

[snip]

axess68

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2005

On a side note, the Antec people are great!! I called them today
because my new power supply was missing a cable (It was discounted at
Staples because it was opened already and returned). The tech support
guy said he would send me one for nothing and took my info. :D I
like companies that do that! Supporting your customer efficiently
earns major kudos in my book. :)

Back on topic: Well, I certainly wish MINE ran at 45-55c !! I've been
having ASUS Probe keep a log and it's been staying in the 59-60 range
with me just doing normal things on my PC (a bunch of browser windows
open, etc). Gaming is another story.

Well, here's hoping that the new heatsink and Arctic Silver paste I
have on the way will help a bit.

axess68

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2005

My heatsink WAS clogged with dust before. I cleaned it out when I
changed the paste. Its been idling at 58-60c. Not a big change.
Definitely not where I want it either. (45 would be nice).

Sorry, I was a bit off on the temps of my room. It gets up to 80-90f
in here.

The Grey paste has these words on the side: AOS Thermal Compounds, AOS
P/N: 52029KY

axess68

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2005

I read some reviews of my particular compound and it is low-mid range
quality. Ah well, it will do till Monday or Tuesday when the new
FULLY COPPER heatsink and the Arctic Silver compound arrives.

I also found out my CPU is rated to 85c max.

axess68 wrote:
> I was overclocking my CPU for the first time ever the other day and
> blew my garbage power supply. So, I went to the store and picked up a
> decent Antec PSU 500watt.
>
> My Specs:
> AMD 2800+ Barton Core - Socket A
> ASUS A7N8X v2.0
> Stock AMD Heatsink and Fan
> nVidia 6600GT
>

> Well, it's been hot here (my room is between 75-80f degrees usually
> when it's hot outside)

That's not hot

> and my CPU has been idling at 60-63c and going
> up to 69-70 during gaming (according to ASUS Probe).

that's hot

> That seems VERY
> hot to me! When I replaced my Power Supply, I cleaned off my CPU (had
> whitish thermal paste plus parts of the greyish pad on the bottom of
> the heatsink).

You should have one or the other, not both. It was misinstalled in the
first place.

> I cleaned the bottom of the heatsink completely and
> got some new thermal paste from a local tech in the area. The paste
> is grey. I'm sure it's not the best paste. It has no name on it and
> looks like it came with a cpu kit.
>
> So, I applied the grey paste to the CPU die like it says on all the
> websites, and I also applied it to the bottom of the heatsink and
> buffed it in with a plastic bag over my fingers (like all the
> websites say). So, to make a long story short, I did everything
> correctly.

How much paste did you actually put on? You need a very small amount.
Did you confirm that the heat sink is SEATED properly?

> I also took the overclocking down to only a little bit over normal.
> So, my CPU is running at 2100mhz now instead of 2090mhz Probe has it
> idling at 60 right now and it goes to 68-70 when gaming.

So not much difference.

> I ordered some Artic Silver paste along with a Heatsink + Fan that got
> great reviews on Newegg. They come in Monday. Think that will solve my
> problem somewhat? Is that greyish thermal paste lousy?

Not knowing anything about it other than its colour, I'd have to say a
definite maybe.

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

axess68 wrote:
> 90C?!?! I read on AMD's website that 80c is the limit for my CPU.
>
> I would think anything above 75 would be too much.
>
> My system, with downloads going on and websites/chat rooms active,
> sits at 60-61c. When gaming today, it went up to 69c.
>
> My room is warm ~80f. I dont have air conditioning and it's been hot
> up here lately.

Do you have a case fan? Is it running? Is your heat sink clogged with dust?

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

"Well, here's hoping that the new heatsink and Arctic Silver paste I
have on the way will help a bit."

The Arctic Silver compound seems to have poor heat transfer. I've been
using the pads and noticed CPUs run a lot cooler (10 degrees). As
temperature rises the pad melts and displaces air pockets between the
heat sink and the processor. I've found in the past using grease
compounds eventually break down, dry up, or do nothing.

I don't know what type of pad came with your new heat sink, but check
out this web site for to determine which medium has the best thermal
conductivity: http://www.peltier-info.com/tims.html. I've been using
the red Thermagon pads with great success.

The bare metal approach is probably a bad idea, but probably better
than putting too much grease compound on your heat sink. Good luck