break trust with old, non-existant domain

Greetings.

I once had a test domain (DOMAIN2) which was trusted by our main
domain (DOMAIN1). I decomissioned/destroyed the test domain before I
broke the trust agreement between the two. Now I cannot remove the
trust.

Is there any way I can force the removal of the trust between domains?
When I try, I either get "an unknown error has occurred" or "cannot
break trust, DOMAIN2 PDC not found".

Thanks for any help.

-gary

-gary
gmr2048 at yahoo dot com
Washington DC, USA
http://www.eighteenpercent.net

How exactly are you removing the trusts?
"gmr2048" <gmr2048@nuthin.com> wrote in message news:
> Greetings.
>
> I once had a test domain (DOMAIN2) which was trusted by our main
> domain (DOMAIN1). I decomissioned/destroyed the test domain before I
> broke the trust agreement between the two. Now I cannot remove the
> trust.
>
> Is there any way I can force the removal of the trust between domains?
> When I try, I either get "an unknown error has occurred" or "cannot
> break trust, DOMAIN2 PDC not found".

I'm trying to remove the trust by going to User Manager for Domains
(on an NT4 BDC) \ policies \ trusts, in the "trusted domains" window,
click on the old (no longer existing) domain, then click on "remove".
I then get the "unknown error has occurred). Thanks for responding!

-gary

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 10:51:16 -0400, "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP"
<Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com> wrote:

>How exactly are you removing the trusts?

>"gmr2048" <gmr2048@nuthin.com> wrote in message news:
>> Greetings.
>>
>> I once had a test domain (DOMAIN2) which was trusted by our main
>> domain (DOMAIN1). I decomissioned/destroyed the test domain before I
>> broke the trust agreement between the two. Now I cannot remove the
>> trust.
>>
>> Is there any way I can force the removal of the trust between domains?
>> When I try, I either get "an unknown error has occurred" or "cannot
>> break trust, DOMAIN2 PDC not found".

-gary
gmr2048 at yahoo dot com
Washington DC, USA
http://www.eighteenpercent.net

You first removed the trusting domains?

"gmr2048" <gmr2048@nuthin.com> wrote in message news:
> I'm trying to remove the trust by going to User Manager for Domains
> (on an NT4 BDC) \ policies \ trusts, in the "trusted domains" window,
> click on the old (no longer existing) domain, then click on "remove".
> I then get the "unknown error has occurred). Thanks for responding!

Thanks for the help Michael, I think I've figured it out.

Yes, I had removed all of the trusting domains first. What finally
worked was going to AD Domains and Trusts on my 2003 DC, and removing
the old trusted domain there. That finally seemed to get rid of it
totally. I appreciate the help.

-gary

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 14:37:11 -0400, "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP"
<Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com> wrote:

>You first removed the trusting domains?

>"gmr2048" <gmr2048@nuthin.com> wrote in message news:
>> I'm trying to remove the trust by going to User Manager for Domains
>> (on an NT4 BDC) \ policies \ trusts, in the "trusted domains" window,
>> click on the old (no longer existing) domain, then click on "remove".
>> I then get the "unknown error has occurred). Thanks for responding!

-gary
gmr2048 at yahoo dot com
Washington DC, USA
http://www.eighteenpercent.net