My Experiences With HomeBuilt Computer

A few Months ago I ordered All the parts I would need to start building
my system. I spent around $1000 but wanted a gaming system which adds a
few hundered dollars more than if it wasn't.
Everything Works Fine and Got the satisfaction of Knowing All the
Software and hardware that are inside. It wasn't that difficult and
only had 1 or two problems which were simply jumpers on the
motherboard. The Parts I have installed are the following:
1. Biostar Motherboard with 2.4 ghtz CPU Installed (Made sure I did
not install this myself as its the most expensive part) $200.00
2. Evga 6800 Video Card $150.00
3. 1 gig PC2100 DDR RAM $200.00
4. 450 Watt PSU $40.00
5. CASE - $60.00
6. 1 CD-ROM DRIVE AND 1 CD-RW $50.00
7. 1 100 GIG HD $100.00
8. WINDOWS XP $150.00
9. MODEM AND SOUNDCARD $50.00

Building your own won't save you money and might be frustrating but
you will learn alot.
21 answers Last reply
More about experiences homebuilt computer

    PC 2100 ram?You do know yor ram is rated for 133 FSB? What cpu are you
    using?Besides just 2.4?

    On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 14:31:44 -0700, SamuelF566 thoughtfully wrote:

    > A few Months ago I ordered All the parts I would need to start building my
    > system. I spent around $1000 but wanted a gaming system which adds a few
    > hundered dollars more than if it wasn't.
    > Everything Works Fine and Got the satisfaction of Knowing All the
    > Software and hardware that are inside. It wasn't that difficult and only
    > had 1 or two problems which were simply jumpers on the motherboard. The
    > Parts I have installed are the following:
    > 1. Biostar Motherboard with 2.4 ghtz CPU Installed (Made sure I did
    > not install this myself as its the most expensive part) $200.00

    I know you're just starting out and maybe a few months ago prices were
    different .... but an AMD64 system might have been cheaper.

    > 2. Evga 6800 Video Card $150.00
    > 3. 1 gig PC2100 DDR RAM $200.00
    > 4. 450 Watt PSU $40.00
    > 5. CASE - $60.00
    > 6. 1 CD-ROM DRIVE AND 1 CD-RW $50.00

    You could get a DVD+/_RW for $50.00. A second CD-ROM
    not that important.

    > 7. 1 100 GIG HD $100.00

    For $100 you could have had a 160-250 Gb. If you have a lot of games or
    lots of scenery for FS2004 you could use the extra space.

    > 8. WINDOWS XP $150.00
    > 9. MODEM AND SOUNDCARD $50.00
    >
    > Building your own won't save you money and might be frustrating but
    > you will learn alot.

    Good price on the 6800 though. And not bad for a gaming machine

    >A few Months ago I ordered All the parts I would need to start building
    > my system. I spent around $1000 but wanted a gaming system which adds a
    > few hundered dollars more than if it wasn't.
    > Everything Works Fine and Got the satisfaction of Knowing All the
    > Software and hardware that are inside. It wasn't that difficult and
    > only had 1 or two problems which were simply jumpers on the
    > motherboard. The Parts I have installed are the following:
    > 1. Biostar Motherboard with 2.4 ghtz CPU Installed (Made sure I did
    > not install this myself as its the most expensive part) $200.00
    > 2. Evga 6800 Video Card $150.00
    > 3. 1 gig PC2100 DDR RAM $200.00
    > 4. 450 Watt PSU $40.00
    > 5. CASE - $60.00
    > 6. 1 CD-ROM DRIVE AND 1 CD-RW $50.00
    > 7. 1 100 GIG HD $100.00
    > 8. WINDOWS XP $150.00
    > 9. MODEM AND SOUNDCARD $50.00

    For $1000 you could have built this, instead:

    MSI K8N Neo4 SLI w/ onboard Creative SoundBlaster Live! 24bit sound $99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130492

    AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice core $219
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103533

    1GB (2x512) Corsair XMS Dual Channel PC3200 memory $123
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145449

    Antec Sonata II case w/ Antec 450 watt SmartPower 2.0 power supply $109
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129155

    EVGA 6600GT PCI Express video card $149
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130214

    Western Digital 250GB SATA 3.0GB/s HDD $118
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144417

    Lite-On 1693S 16X DVD+-R/RW Dual Layer $43
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827106988

    Diamond SupraMax 56K internal PCI modem $15
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16825116105

    Windows XP Home OEM $92
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102151

    Grand total: $967

    > Building your own won't save you money and might be frustrating but
    > you will learn alot.

    Where did you do your shopping??? Do you not see that this system I laid out
    for you rocks any system you can buy retail off the shelf anywhere, by
    anyone (including the one you built)? You get QUALITY components throughout,
    room to grow, and the satisfaction that you built it yourself. I know the
    graphics card seems to be a step backward compared to your system, but I
    could not find a 6800 with only 128MB like you have for PCI express. The
    only 6800 cards for that slot have 256MB of memory and are about $75, which
    would have only put you slightly over your $1000 budget, anyway.

    I think you simply didn't do your due diligence in shopping for your parts.
    The reason you didn't save any money is because you paid too much for what
    you got. You didn't build much of a gaming system, either, being the
    processor must be an older model because you specified you're using PC2100
    memory, which is very slow these days (and you paid $200 for it???).

    The only time your statement has truth is when you're buying/building a very
    small budget system, like around $400 - 600. You can find Compaq and
    eMachines systems that are a lot of system for that money and you simply
    couldn't do it without major headaches of purchasing crippled budget parts
    that might not work as expected.

    SamuelF566@gmail.com wrote:
    > A few Months ago I ordered All the parts I would need to start building
    > my system. I spent around $1000 but wanted a gaming system which adds a
    > few hundered dollars more than if it wasn't.
    > Everything Works Fine and Got the satisfaction of Knowing All the
    > Software and hardware that are inside. It wasn't that difficult and
    > only had 1 or two problems which were simply jumpers on the
    > motherboard. The Parts I have installed are the following:
    > 1. Biostar Motherboard with 2.4 ghtz CPU Installed (Made sure I did
    > not install this myself as its the most expensive part) $200.00
    > 2. Evga 6800 Video Card $150.00
    > 3. 1 gig PC2100 DDR RAM $200.00
    > 4. 450 Watt PSU $40.00
    > 5. CASE - $60.00
    > 6. 1 CD-ROM DRIVE AND 1 CD-RW $50.00
    > 7. 1 100 GIG HD $100.00
    > 8. WINDOWS XP $150.00
    > 9. MODEM AND SOUNDCARD $50.00
    >
    > Building your own won't save you money and might be frustrating but
    > you will learn alot.

    Congratulations. Building your own pc can be very rewarding. Ignore
    the critics.

    "> For $1000 you could have built this, instead:

    for five bucks I could have clubbed him over the head instead

    jeesh, ya come in and brag a little, take a little pride in what you've
    done and what do you get for it?

    AMD salesmen telling you IN THEIR OPINION a better way of going...........

    the only thing that seems out of wack is your memory speed,,,typo?
    and the 150 for XP (home?) should have been 80 or abouts

    JAD wrote:
    > the only thing that seems out of wack is your memory speed,,,typo?
    > and the 150 for XP (home?) should have been 80 or abouts

    He may have had to buy the full version of XP rather than the upgrade
    version. The full version generally costs twice as much as the upgrade
    version.

    On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 10:30:10 -0700, JAD thoughtfully wrote:

    > jeesh, ya come in and brag a little, take a little pride in what you've
    > done and what do you get for it?
    >
    > AMD salesmen telling you IN THEIR OPINION a better way of going...........

    Come JAD we're happy he built a system but it's not the AMD that's at
    issue. No matter how many months ago he put that system together but
    you know that if he had asked here before hand he could have built a
    better system Intel or AMD based. Criticism is for the next upgrade.

    > the only thing that seems out of wack is your memory speed,,,typo? and the
    > 150 for XP (home?) should have been 80 or abouts
    >

    > <SamuelF566@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> A few Months ago I ordered All the parts I would need to start building
    >> my system. I spent around $1000 but wanted a gaming system which adds a
    >> few hundered dollars more than if it wasn't.
    >> Everything Works Fine and Got the satisfaction of Knowing All the
    >> Software and hardware that are inside. It wasn't that difficult and only
    >> had 1 or two problems which were simply jumpers on the motherboard. The
    >> Parts I have installed are the following:
    >> 1. Biostar Motherboard with 2.4 ghtz CPU Installed (Made sure I did
    >> not install this myself as its the most expensive part) $200.00
    >> 2. Evga 6800 Video Card $150.00
    >> 3. 1 gig PC2100 DDR RAM $200.00
    >> 4. 450 Watt PSU $40.00
    >> 5. CASE - $60.00
    >> 6. 1 CD-ROM DRIVE AND 1 CD-RW $50.00
    >> 7. 1 100 GIG HD $100.00
    >> 8. WINDOWS XP $150.00
    >> 9. MODEM AND SOUNDCARD $50.00
    >>
    >> Building your own won't save you money and might be frustrating but
    >> you will learn alot.

    > jeesh, ya come in and brag a little, take a little pride in what you've
    > done and what do you get for it?
    >
    > AMD salesmen telling you IN THEIR OPINION a better way of going...........
    >
    > the only thing that seems out of wack is your memory speed,,,typo?
    > and the 150 for XP (home?) should have been 80 or abouts

    No AMD salesman here at all, as I have both Intel and AMD machines, but
    honestly, if 2.4GHz is not an AMD (which would actually be a fast
    processor), that's an awfully pricey machine for such old technology. This
    person wanted to build a gaming machine for a grand, but instead built
    something antique for that kind of money.

    Kudos for the effort of building for the first time, but some effort in
    research as to what to build/buy and where to get the parts was warranted.
    When I built my very first machine, I probably spent 3 months just getting
    aquainted with what was involved, how to get the latest/greatest/fastest
    parts the cheapest, and what to look for/look out for. This person obviously
    didn't, given that a 2.4 GHz P4 came out about 4 years ago.

    I simply pointed out that his complaint that he didn't actually save any
    money was bogus because he poorly spent, and for the same amount of
    greenbacks, could have built an awesome machine that you couldn't touch for
    the money buying a Dell or HP or something.

    I build systems for friends and whoever is in the loop, there is no
    great secrets that are not available on this or a hundred other
    forums for the good info.

    A 450w PSU is great but what brand is what counts there.

    A 6800 will do the job, but like all brand brand brand is what
    counts.

    100g is not what is the defining factor but the brand, warranty, speed
    and type (IDE / EIDE / SATA) etc is.

    Cases are not more than a pretty box you like the look of, any system
    built out of the box works just as good.

    Soundcards, while many will argue a good board with 6 channel sound
    will do the job, your speakers are what need to be top stuff, but
    consider a Creative 2ZS as a base card worth the cash if more buttons
    are the go.

    Sorry but Biostar motherboards are bottom end gear and should be
    avoided, for another $20 - $50 you get much much more in quality,
    warranty etc.

    Ram ? buy good stuff.

    CDROM's and burners buy a unit that does it all and save a bit.

    CPU's who knows there are many to choose from, a 3200 Barton will do
    all one needs to, although a 64 bit CPU is now the base line, how big
    depends on your budget, but an entire system in 64 bit can be made for
    $1500 AUD NP.

    Your HSF can be an important item, after all it keeps the brain alive,
    get a good one.

    Modems ? go with ADSL it's heaps faster and usually cheaper, dial up
    is obselete unless you live where it's not available.

    Have fun.

    You spent tons of money on computer stuff...

    Let see my homebuilt stuff....
    1.6Ghz AMD CPU and Motherboard: $65 at Fry
    40Gig Hard drive: Free (pick up from street thrown out computer)
    30Gig Hard drive: $15 (used one)
    Geforce2 Video card: $15 (used one)
    Windows XP: copied one uncle gave to me
    Case: Free
    US Robotic External 56K modem: $5 ( bought from 2nd hand store)
    DVD rom: $20 at Fry

    If you had the extra $$$ then what monitor would you get, assuming a large
    (19 inch) lcd . . . ?

    -g

    On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 03:24:41 +0000, Gilbert thoughtfully wrote:

    > If you had the extra $$$ then what monitor would you get, assuming a large
    > (19 inch) lcd . . . ?
    >
    > -g

    I think there is a new 19" BenQ lcd with an 8ms response
    time. There's other lcds with a good response/latency time but don't
    remember who makes them.

    http://www.benq.us/Products/LCD/index.cfm?product=487&page=features

    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/20050606/index.html

    Otherwise, any quality non-lcd 19" flat screen, 1280x1024
    monitor should be good enough for gaming. It would be a shame
    to connect a top of the line graphics adapter to low end lcd for gaming.

    > Western Digital 250GB SATA 3.0GB/s HDD $118

    With one big 250 gig HD, what would your backup strategy be? HD to DVD or ?

    -g
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    life expectancy.....1 year

    <mmdir2005@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > You spent tons of money on computer stuff...
    >
    > Let see my homebuilt stuff....
    > 1.6Ghz AMD CPU and Motherboard: $65 at Fry
    > 40Gig Hard drive: Free (pick up from street thrown out computer)
    > 30Gig Hard drive: $15 (used one)
    > Geforce2 Video card: $15 (used one)
    > Windows XP: copied one uncle gave to me
    > Case: Free
    > US Robotic External 56K modem: $5 ( bought from 2nd hand store)
    > DVD rom: $20 at Fry

  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "Gilbert" <nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message
    > If you had the extra $$$ then what monitor would you get, assuming a large
    > (19 inch) lcd . . . ?

    I'd go for a 20", first of all. A 19" doesn't get you any larger screen
    under native resolution, which is what you want to run at on an LCD. 19"
    resolutions are 1280x1024 just like the 17", only everything is blown up. A
    20", however, has a much higher resolution.

    I like Samsung. I'd probably go for the Samsung 204T - 20.1" digital LCD
    with a native resolution of 1600x1200 and a 16ms pixel response time. $499
    at NewEgg right now.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    >> Western Digital 250GB SATA 3.0GB/s HDD $118
    >
    > With one big 250 gig HD, what would your backup strategy be? HD to DVD or
    > ?

    First of all, my backup strategy isn't a whole entire image. I backup
    necessary files only. I feel that a fresh install of everything takes care
    of minor annoyances that has crept into my system, so I go through the
    hassle of freshly installing everything from scratch. However, I backup my
    files to a separate HDD. It's fast, and painless that way.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    >> You spent tons of money on computer stuff...
    >>
    >> Let see my homebuilt stuff....
    >> 1.6Ghz AMD CPU and Motherboard: $65 at Fry
    >> 40Gig Hard drive: Free (pick up from street thrown out computer)
    >> 30Gig Hard drive: $15 (used one)
    >> Geforce2 Video card: $15 (used one)
    >> Windows XP: copied one uncle gave to me
    >> Case: Free
    >> US Robotic External 56K modem: $5 ( bought from 2nd hand store)
    >> DVD rom: $20 at Fry

    > life expectancy.....1 year

    That computer is ready for the junkpile now. He couldn't possibly play any
    recent games without resorting to everything turned off and minimal
    resolution.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    all i need is a a latest video card. my card plays GTA vice city,
    Lord of the Rings, metal of honor allied
    assault. Flight simulator 2004. Only game refused to play is Madden
    2004 which requires higher
    than Geforce2 MX serious.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Over 3 yr old so far...do I need a 3.6Ghz AMD CPU and over $300 video
    card? For what?
  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    > Over 3 yr old so far...do I need a 3.6Ghz AMD CPU and over $300 video
    > card? For what?

    What are you talking about?

    MC

Homebuilt Systems Product