RPC Server error when joing XP machine to NT domain?

I have an NT4 PDC (upgrading to 2003 soon, thank god!), and lately when I try
to join an XP Pro machine to the domain, I get the following error:

"Your computer could not be joined to the domain because the following error
occurred:

The RPC server is unavailable."

Anybody have any experience with this? Tried looking through countless KB
articles, no luck there.. If anybody has any advice, it would be greatly
appreciated!

Thank you!

Hi Christian,
Turn off or disable the firewall on the XP client
and make sure NetBIOS is enabled.

"Christian Mathews" <ChristianMathews@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:E
> I have an NT4 PDC (upgrading to 2003 soon, thank god!), and lately when I
try
> to join an XP Pro machine to the domain, I get the following error:
>
> "Your computer could not be joined to the domain because the following
error
> occurred:
>
> The RPC server is unavailable."
>
> Anybody have any experience with this? Tried looking through countless KB
> articles, no luck there.. If anybody has any advice, it would be greatly
> appreciated!
>
> Thank you!

still no luck

"Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:

> Hi Christian,
> Turn off or disable the firewall on the XP client
> and make sure NetBIOS is enabled.
>
> "Christian Mathews" <ChristianMathews@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:E
> > I have an NT4 PDC (upgrading to 2003 soon, thank god!), and lately when I
> try
> > to join an XP Pro machine to the domain, I get the following error:
> >
> > "Your computer could not be joined to the domain because the following
> error
> > occurred:
> >
> > The RPC server is unavailable."
> >
> > Anybody have any experience with this? Tried looking through countless KB
> > articles, no luck there.. If anybody has any advice, it would be greatly
> > appreciated!
> >
> > Thank you!

Checked out that KB article, don't quite understand how that relates to the
problem I'm having.. The only thing that article suggested was restarting
the computer which I've tried numerous times.

FWIW, the event mentioned in the KB article does not show up in my event log.

Any other ideas? TIA!

"Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:

> You receive a "The RPC server is unavailable" error message when you open
> Disk Management in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;884564
>
> "Christian Mathews" <ChristianMathews@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:
> > still no luck

I meant to send you the following:

Troubleshooting "RPC Server is Unavailable" in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;224370

HTH.
Michael