Changing password over VPN ??!??!

Hi,
I have a traveling user with a laptop running XP.When he is in the office he
loggs on to the domain. when offsite and offline he still loggs on using the
same user/password/domain and only then connects remotely using VPN.
Recently i enabled the complex password policy in the domain. He was out of
the office and when he connected remotely using VPN he was prompted to
change his password.
He is able to connect but very often his connection is rejected saying he is
using a bad user name or password.
same thing happens with his outlook connecting to our exchange over the VPN.
im suspecting it has to do with the fact that he is still logging into his
laptop using the old password.

any ideas ?

Have him try changing his password once he logs onto his laptop to the new
one on the domain. Then have him connect to the VPN and see if that helps.

--
Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

"Spring Blossom" <springblossom@online.nospam> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have a traveling user with a laptop running XP.When he is in the office
> he loggs on to the domain. when offsite and offline he still loggs on
> using the same user/password/domain and only then connects remotely using
> VPN.
> Recently i enabled the complex password policy in the domain. He was out
> of the office and when he connected remotely using VPN he was prompted to
> change his password.
> He is able to connect but very often his connection is rejected saying he
> is using a bad user name or password.
> same thing happens with his outlook connecting to our exchange over the
> VPN.
> im suspecting it has to do with the fact that he is still logging into his
> laptop using the old password.
>
> any ideas ?

The problem is that he will be out of the country for a few months.
any other workaround ?

Thanks !!

"Scott Harding" <scrockel@**NO_SPAM**hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Have him try changing his password once he logs onto his laptop to the new
> one on the domain. Then have him connect to the VPN and see if that helps.
>
> --
> Scott Harding
> MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Server Networking
>
> "Spring Blossom" <springblossom@online.nospam> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> I have a traveling user with a laptop running XP.When he is in the office
>> he loggs on to the domain. when offsite and offline he still loggs on
>> using the same user/password/domain and only then connects remotely using
>> VPN.
>> Recently i enabled the complex password policy in the domain. He was out
>> of the office and when he connected remotely using VPN he was prompted
>> to change his password.
>> He is able to connect but very often his connection is rejected saying he
>> is using a bad user name or password.
>> same thing happens with his outlook connecting to our exchange over the
>> VPN.
>> im suspecting it has to do with the fact that he is still logging into
>> his laptop using the old password.
>>
>> any ideas ?

Do you/him know the local administrator password? You could have him log in
as someone else to the laptop locally and then have him setup the VPN for
that new profile. Not sure what him being out of town has to do with it
though. He cannot change his cached password on his laptop? The only catch
possibly is that something doesn't work right and then he could be locked
out of his laptop but if you have the local admin password you could always
as least get on the box.