Phoenix-Award BIOS and USB problems

I have a problem with a computer I built with a SiS-645DX motherboard,
Phoenix-Award BIOS v.6.00PG dated 7/22/2002. It has two built in USB ports
and 2 more for Front USB that I'm 99.9 % sure are hooked up correctly. The
OS is Windows 2000 Pro. Device Manager show all the ports have latest
drivers installed and running properly, etc. However, none of the USB ports
seems to work, i.e., I plug a perfectly good Flash Drive into them and
nothing happens - doesn't show the new device/drive, etc.

Yes, the Flash Drive works perfectly on other computers that I have, so it's
not that.

Also, in the BIOS (again, Phoenix-Award BIOS v.6.00PG dated 7/22/2002), I
noticed setting for USBO Access Interface, USB1 Access Interface, etc., as
well as IDECHO Access Interface, Audio Access Interface, etc. For defaults,
the BIOS had them all set to EDB BUS. What does this mean and should I
instead set them ALL to PCI BUS, or what?

Also, is there a later BIOS I can download that may solve this problem? If
yes, I have tried to find it but I keep getting sent to
http://www.unicore.com/home.cfm, which is eSupport.com or something and they
always insist that I have them automatically figure out my BIOS, but I'm on
a DIFFERENT computer and simply want to download the latest, pertinent
BIOS - not call them or have them figure it out, etc.

Thanks for any worthwhile help regarding this matter.

jad

who makes the board asus?

Those USB headers are always getting misconnected, sure wish they would just
standardize that connector.

"JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
> who makes the board asus?
>
> Those USB headers are always getting misconnected, sure wish they would
> just
Also, for Win 2K, don't you have to install the USB drivers separately?
I.e., W2K doesn't provide native support for USB?
> standardize that connector.
>

> "Wes Stebbins" <WesGuitar@neb.rr.com> wrote in message
>> I have a problem with a computer I built with a SiS-645DX motherboard,
>> Phoenix-Award BIOS v.6.00PG dated 7/22/2002. It has two built in USB
> ports
>> and 2 more for Front USB that I'm 99.9 % sure are hooked up correctly.
> The
>> OS is Windows 2000 Pro. Device Manager show all the ports have latest
>> drivers installed and running properly, etc. However, none of the USB
> ports
>> seems to work, i.e., I plug a perfectly good Flash Drive into them and
>> nothing happens - doesn't show the new device/drive, etc.
>>
>> Yes, the Flash Drive works perfectly on other computers that I have, so
> it's
>> not that.
>>
>> Also, in the BIOS (again, Phoenix-Award BIOS v.6.00PG dated 7/22/2002), I
>> noticed setting for USBO Access Interface, USB1 Access Interface, etc.,
>> as
>> well as IDECHO Access Interface, Audio Access Interface, etc. For
> defaults,
>> the BIOS had them all set to EDB BUS. What does this mean and should I
>> instead set them ALL to PCI BUS, or what?
>>
>> Also, is there a later BIOS I can download that may solve this problem?
> If
>> yes, I have tried to find it but I keep getting sent to
>> http://www.unicore.com/home.cfm, which is eSupport.com or something and
> they
>> always insist that I have them automatically figure out my BIOS, but I'm
> on
>> a DIFFERENT computer and simply want to download the latest, pertinent
>> BIOS - not call them or have them figure it out, etc.
>>
>> Thanks for any worthwhile help regarding this matter.

Well, I did an un-install of the USB drivers, then re-installed them AND
updated their drivers with what I had on my Windows 2000 Pro CD (and it gave
a later date after intalling), even though they showed up just fine in
Device Manager (no yellow ?'s, etc.) even before I did this

Also, can I download the latest BIOS somewhere BESIDES the eSupport.com site
(and method - I'm NOT on the particular computer when I first download it -
because the people I built the computer for are not as yet "on-line." I
will port it over to their machine and then flash it.

Concerning the Access Interface EDB BUS vs PCI BUS stuff - is this a
factor - please educate me.

Thanks again.

> Well, I did an un-install of the USB drivers, then re-installed them AND
> updated their drivers with what I had on my Windows 2000 Pro CD (and it
gave
> a later date after intalling), even though they showed up just fine in
> Device Manager (no yellow ?'s, etc.) even before I did this

what drivers came with the motherboard install CD, and have you used them?

> Also, can I download the latest BIOS somewhere BESIDES the eSupport.com
site
> (and method - I'm NOT on the particular computer when I first download
it -
> because the people I built the computer for are not as yet "on-line." I
> will port it over to their machine and then flash it.

unless there is a bios update that has specific USB fixes I wouldn't update
it. need the board manufacturer to find another source for bios.

> Concerning the Access Interface EDB BUS vs PCI BUS stuff - is this a
> factor - please educate me.
> Thanks again.

This is a job for the manual, your eyes and brain.

TRENDING THREADS