How to stop redirects

I am using Windows 7, I keep getting redirected to other non specific web pages when putting in something to search in Google search bar. now i can't even connect to Google. After doing some research i set my security settings (in internet options, advance) to SSL 2.0 and tls 3.0 - and vice versa and then tried ssl 2.0 and ssl 3.0 - not working - then did some research on line and found suggestions of maybe a virus or Trojan - i have windows defender (i know not the best) as well as malwarebytes - did a complete scan on both and both show no malicious anything ... but still cannot connect to Google. i thought maybe it was Google, but i went on my laptop running Ubuntu 9.0 and Google came right up and was able to search with no redirects. I am very very frustrated - i also ran a combo fix and that came up with nothing ... any suggestions??
9 answers Last reply
More about stop redirects
  1. Do you have any toolbars installed (Yahoo, Google, etc)? Also, when you ran Malwarebytes, was it updated and did you run a full scan? Last, what anti-virus program are you using? I suggest Microsoft Security Essentials. It is free and effective. Just google it, download and install.

You are describing a typical malware/toolbar hijacking issue, not a browser configuration issue. We need to verify that your system is clean to be able to resolve.

Please clarify. Good luck!
  2. I just ran malwarebytes in safemode with networking and found 26 objects - got rid of them, i am also using Microsoft Security Essentials. I am only using the basic windows toolbars - no google, zynga yahoo etc toolbars installed.
  3. Check your internet settings to make sure a proxy isn't configured.
  4. proxy is not configured
  5. tdorris10 said:
    I just ran malwarebytes in safemode with networking and found 26 objects - got rid of them, i am also using Microsoft Security Essentials. I am only using the basic windows toolbars - no google, zynga yahoo etc toolbars installed.

Understood on this and the proxy answer. Is your system still doing this after you did the scan/clean with Malwarebytes?

Also, if you are using Internet Explorer, go into Internet Options, select the Advanced tab, and then click the Reset Internet Explorer settings button. That will restore to its default state.
  6. yes, still redirecting and unable to connect to google after doing all of the above mentioned.
  7. Try tdsskiller.
  8. ok - so i ran combo fix, then tdsskiller, then malwarebytes (mbam) in safemode with networking - then reset internet options back to default, i can now access google and computer is running much faster - Thank you All for your help and advice.
  9. You could also install a program like win patrol to stop your HOST FILES being altered, which can affect redirects
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 7