Problems with administrator rights on XP clients in NT dom..

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
July 13, 2005 10:53:47 AM

Hi,

Our small business is running on NT servers with mixed XP_sp2 and NTws
clients.
I encountered the following problem:

Domain user A who is a member of the domain administrator group is allowed
to change settings on a XP client e.g. changing the taskbar or calendar.

Domain user B who's profile is an exact copy from B, thus also member of the
administrator group cannot change the settings because of insufficient user
rights.

Is this a incompability problem between NT domain and XP clients or I'm
suffering from a blackspot? Bcause domain users who are members from the same
domain global groups (administrators) should both have all rights on the XP
client station?

Pls I'm breaking my head to sort out this problem.

Best regards

Birima

--
Let''s keep the conversation going
Anonymous

Hi Birima,

One account is a member of the global group, "domain admins"
which by default is added to the local "administrator" account
on each domain member. The other account must be a member
of the domain "administrator" group which doesn't have local
admin access to all members only the DCs.

"Birima" <Birima@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> Hi,
>
> Our small business is running on NT servers with mixed XP_sp2 and NTws
> clients.
> I encountered the following problem:
>
> Domain user A who is a member of the domain administrator group is allowed
> to change settings on a XP client e.g. changing the taskbar or calendar.
>
> Domain user B who's profile is an exact copy from B, thus also member of
> the
> administrator group cannot change the settings because of insufficient
> user
> rights.
>
> Is this a incompability problem between NT domain and XP clients or I'm
> suffering from a blackspot? Bcause domain users who are members from the
> same
> domain global groups (administrators) should both have all rights on the
> XP
> client station?
>
> Pls I'm breaking my head to sort out this problem.
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 5:36:02 PM

Hi Michael,

I actually copied the account and gave the new account another username. It
seems to me they are members of the exact same groups. Tomorrow I will check
and let you know. Thanks for replying me so far.

Regards,

Birima
--

"Michael Giorgio - MVP" wrote:

> Hi Birima,
>
> One account is a member of the global group, "domain admins"
> which by default is added to the local "administrator" account
> on each domain member. The other account must be a member
> of the domain "administrator" group which doesn't have local
> admin access to all members only the DCs.
>
> "Birima" <Birima@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Our small business is running on NT servers with mixed XP_sp2 and NTws
> > clients.
> > I encountered the following problem:
> >
> > Domain user A who is a member of the domain administrator group is allowed
> > to change settings on a XP client e.g. changing the taskbar or calendar.
> >
> > Domain user B who's profile is an exact copy from B, thus also member of
> > the
> > administrator group cannot change the settings because of insufficient
> > user
> > rights.
> >
> > Is this a incompability problem between NT domain and XP clients or I'm
> > suffering from a blackspot? Bcause domain users who are members from the
> > same
> > domain global groups (administrators) should both have all rights on the
> > XP
> > client station?
> >
> > Pls I'm breaking my head to sort out this problem.

July 18, 2005 9:13:45 PM

Well then first make sure the user is a member of
the domain admin group then open the user manager
locally on the member / workstation the user is attempting
to access and verify that the domain admin group is a
member of the local administrator group. To open user
manager locally on that server click on start / run then type
\\membername.

"Birima" <Birima@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> Hi Michael,
>
> I actually copied the account and gave the new account another username.
> It
> seems to me they are members of the exact same groups. Tomorrow I will
> check
> and let you know. Thanks for replying me so far.

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 9:02:02 AM

Hi Michael,

Let me give you another example how user rights work out on a client XP
station:

User A is member of the Domain administrators. He is able to add users on a
XP station and to promote them as Administrators. However, for adjusting the
settings of the clock, he has no rights. That doesn´t make sense does it?.
User B with a exact copie of the account (A) is able to change everything on
the client. Could there be a problem with policies in relation to NT server
and XP client?

Best regards,

Birima
--

"Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:

> Well then first make sure the user is a member of
> the domain admin group then open the user manager
> locally on the member / workstation the user is attempting
> to access and verify that the domain admin group is a
> member of the local administrator group. To open user
> manager locally on that server click on start / run then type
> \\membername.
>
> "Birima" <Birima@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> > Hi Michael,
> >
> > I actually copied the account and gave the new account another username.
> > It
> > seems to me they are members of the exact same groups. Tomorrow I will
> > check
> > and let you know. Thanks for replying me so far.

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 1:14:27 PM

My mistake Birima, I assumed the client / member was
an NT 4.0 machine but that's exactly how it should
work. <g> User A, which is a member of the Domain
administrators group, can administer the domain and the
domain controllers but not workstations or member
servers. User A must be a member of the "domain admin"
group in order to administer the workstation / member
server because as I stated the domain "administrator"
group does not get added to the local administrator group
on each member / workstation. Open user manager and
confirm the user account is a member of the "domain admin"
group then open the local users and groups on the XP machine
and check to see if there isn't a duplicate account on the local
machine for local logon. If so remove it. Next open the
properties of the "administrator" group and verify the domain
admin group is a member.

!