Problems with administrator rights on XP clients in NT dom..

Hi,

Our small business is running on NT servers with mixed XP_sp2 and NTws
clients.
I encountered the following problem:

Domain user A who is a member of the domain administrator group is allowed
to change settings on a XP client e.g. changing the taskbar or calendar.

Domain user B who's profile is an exact copy from B, thus also member of the
administrator group cannot change the settings because of insufficient user
rights.

Is this a incompability problem between NT domain and XP clients or I'm
suffering from a blackspot? Bcause domain users who are members from the same
domain global groups (administrators) should both have all rights on the XP
client station?

Pls I'm breaking my head to sort out this problem.

Best regards

Birima

--
Let''s keep the conversation going
5 answers Last reply

    Hi Birima,

    One account is a member of the global group, "domain admins"
    which by default is added to the local "administrator" account
    on each domain member. The other account must be a member
    of the domain "administrator" group which doesn't have local
    admin access to all members only the DCs.

    "Birima" <Birima@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Our small business is running on NT servers with mixed XP_sp2 and NTws
    > clients.
    > I encountered the following problem:
    >
    > Domain user A who is a member of the domain administrator group is allowed
    > to change settings on a XP client e.g. changing the taskbar or calendar.
    >
    > Domain user B who's profile is an exact copy from B, thus also member of
    > the
    > administrator group cannot change the settings because of insufficient
    > user
    > rights.
    >
    > Is this a incompability problem between NT domain and XP clients or I'm
    > suffering from a blackspot? Bcause domain users who are members from the
    > same
    > domain global groups (administrators) should both have all rights on the
    > XP
    > client station?
    >
    > Pls I'm breaking my head to sort out this problem.

    Hi Michael,

    I actually copied the account and gave the new account another username. It
    seems to me they are members of the exact same groups. Tomorrow I will check
    and let you know. Thanks for replying me so far.

    Regards,

    Birima
    --

    "Michael Giorgio - MVP" wrote:

    > Hi Birima,
    >
    > One account is a member of the global group, "domain admins"
    > which by default is added to the local "administrator" account
    > on each domain member. The other account must be a member
    > of the domain "administrator" group which doesn't have local
    > admin access to all members only the DCs.
    >
    > "Birima" <Birima@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Our small business is running on NT servers with mixed XP_sp2 and NTws
    > > clients.
    > > I encountered the following problem:
    > >
    > > Domain user A who is a member of the domain administrator group is allowed
    > > to change settings on a XP client e.g. changing the taskbar or calendar.
    > >
    > > Domain user B who's profile is an exact copy from B, thus also member of
    > > the
    > > administrator group cannot change the settings because of insufficient
    > > user
    > > rights.
    > >
    > > Is this a incompability problem between NT domain and XP clients or I'm
    > > suffering from a blackspot? Bcause domain users who are members from the
    > > same
    > > domain global groups (administrators) should both have all rights on the
    > > XP
    > > client station?
    > >
    > > Pls I'm breaking my head to sort out this problem.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Well then first make sure the user is a member of
    the domain admin group then open the user manager
    locally on the member / workstation the user is attempting
    to access and verify that the domain admin group is a
    member of the local administrator group. To open user
    manager locally on that server click on start / run then type
    \\membername.

    "Birima" <Birima@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
    > Hi Michael,
    >
    > I actually copied the account and gave the new account another username.
    > It
    > seems to me they are members of the exact same groups. Tomorrow I will
    > check
    > and let you know. Thanks for replying me so far.

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Hi Michael,

    Let me give you another example how user rights work out on a client XP
    station:

    User A is member of the Domain administrators. He is able to add users on a
    XP station and to promote them as Administrators. However, for adjusting the
    settings of the clock, he has no rights. That doesn´t make sense does it?.
    User B with a exact copie of the account (A) is able to change everything on
    the client. Could there be a problem with policies in relation to NT server
    and XP client?

    Best regards,

    Birima
    --

    "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:

    > Well then first make sure the user is a member of
    > the domain admin group then open the user manager
    > locally on the member / workstation the user is attempting
    > to access and verify that the domain admin group is a
    > member of the local administrator group. To open user
    > manager locally on that server click on start / run then type
    > \\membername.
    >
    > "Birima" <Birima@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
    > > Hi Michael,
    > >
    > > I actually copied the account and gave the new account another username.
    > > It
    > > seems to me they are members of the exact same groups. Tomorrow I will
    > > check
    > > and let you know. Thanks for replying me so far.

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    My mistake Birima, I assumed the client / member was
    an NT 4.0 machine but that's exactly how it should
    work. <g> User A, which is a member of the Domain
    administrators group, can administer the domain and the
    domain controllers but not workstations or member
    servers. User A must be a member of the "domain admin"
    group in order to administer the workstation / member
    server because as I stated the domain "administrator"
    group does not get added to the local administrator group
    on each member / workstation. Open user manager and
    confirm the user account is a member of the "domain admin"
    group then open the local users and groups on the XP machine
    and check to see if there isn't a duplicate account on the local
    machine for local logon. If so remove it. Next open the
    properties of the "administrator" group and verify the domain
    admin group is a member.

    "Birima" <Birima@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
    > Hi Michael,
    >
    > Let me give you another example how user rights work out on a client XP
    > station:
    >
    > User A is member of the Domain administrators. He is able to add users on
    > XP station and to promote them as Administrators. However, for adjusting
    > the
    > settings of the clock, he has no rights. That doesn´t make sense does
    > it?.
    > User B with a exact copie of the account (A) is able to change everything
    > on
    > the client. Could there be a problem with policies in relation to NT
    > server
    > and XP client?

Domain Windows XP Windows