increased ram from 512 to 2 Gig, but...

I got two 1 Gig sticks from Corsair (CMSS1GB-400SOD) for
a Dell Inspiron 9100 laptop. Now, every time it boots, it says memory
has changed and I have to hit F1 to continue. Do I need to update
the BIOS again? I currently am using A06.

Thanks Very Much!!!
11 answers Last reply
More about increased

    load cmos defaults or try and clear it. Sounds like the timings or quantity
    doesn't agree with the system. what OS are you running and is it able to
    even use that much ram efficiently?

    "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
    > load cmos defaults or try and clear it. Sounds like the timings or
    quantity
    > doesn't agree with the system. what OS are you running and is it able to
    > even use that much ram efficiently?

    Thanks JAD!!
    I am running xp pro. What is best way to clear cmos??

    Thanks again!!!

    I am getting lots of blue screens now. I did a few benchmark tests from
    Sandra Pro SiSoftware 2005 and they did great for memory bandwidth although
    the L2 cache seemed low to me (on
    the benchmark test) relatively speaking.

    cmos is the mainboard setup routine. clearing it or entering the setup
    screen varies from machine to machine. what model is this rig? have you
    done all the updates for the os?

    > cmos is the mainboard setup routine. clearing it or entering the setup
    > screen varies from machine to machine. what model is this rig? have you
    > done all the updates for the os?

    Thanks much. This is a Dell Inspiron 9100 w/ xp pro. It uses Phoenix
    Technologies bios. I have been in the setup many times and can't find a
    default reinstall. I am using version A06 BIOS.

    Press <F2> during POST to enter the system setup program.

    Press <Alt> and <f> to reset the computer defaults.

    Press <Esc>, select Save changes and reboot, and press <Enter> to save
    configuration changes

    HTH

    > Press <F2> during POST to enter the system setup program.
    >

    > Press <Alt> and <f> to reset the computer defaults.
    >

    > Press <Esc>, select Save changes and reboot, and press <Enter> to save
    > configuration changes

    Alt + f was the secret I didn't know. Thanks much!!! I'll let you know how
    it works.

    I booted to Memtest86+ and have ran the series of tests for 5 passes
    now without an error. So that should hopefully mean that the new
    memory is good (I hope and seriously pray!!!). Those Corsair sticks
    cost $300 and I was really worried that they had a problem in them.

    Well keep praying.. I have been battling a blue screen problem on my desktop
    and did everything include running memtest86, goldmem and the new memory
    tester from Microsoft. The one from MS refused to tell me that I had ANY
    GOOD RAM at all (it said every bit was bad) and the other two refused to
    tell me that I had anything wrong with any of it.

    2 days ago I took out 1 Gig of my 2 Gig and the system has not run more
    stable since.

    My RAM was 4 sticks of 512 PC2300 all bought at the same time form the same
    vendor. In about a week I am going to swap the 1 Gig I removed for the 1 Gig
    in there now and see if things stay stable. I have a feeling that these 2
    sticks just refuse to play nice with my other 2.

    J Mac wrote:
    > I got two 1 Gig sticks from Corsair (CMSS1GB-400SOD) for
    > a Dell Inspiron 9100 laptop. Now, every time it boots, it says memory
    > has changed and I have to hit F1 to continue. Do I need to update
    > the BIOS again? I currently am using A06.

    Have you tried hitting F1?

    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

    "spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message
    > J Mac wrote:
    > > I got two 1 Gig sticks from Corsair (CMSS1GB-400SOD) for
    > > a Dell Inspiron 9100 laptop. Now, every time it boots, it says memory
    > > has changed and I have to hit F1 to continue. Do I need to update
    > > the BIOS again? I currently am using A06.
    >
    > Have you tried hitting F1?

    Of course, I have to hit F1 to continue each time.

    J Mac wrote:
    > "spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>J Mac wrote:
    >>
    >>>I got two 1 Gig sticks from Corsair (CMSS1GB-400SOD) for
    >>>a Dell Inspiron 9100 laptop. Now, every time it boots, it says memory
    >>>has changed and I have to hit F1 to continue. Do I need to update
    >>>the BIOS again? I currently am using A06.
    >>
    >>Have you tried hitting F1?
    >

    > Of course, I have to hit F1 to continue each time.

    And you've gone into the bios and saved things (even if you've made no
    bios setting changes)?

    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

Homebuilt Systems