domain not available when changing login password

Hi,
On a windows NT server, users are not able to change their login
password at windows startup once it has expired. error message reads:

"the system cannnot change password because domain __ is not available"
3 answers Last reply
More about domain changing login password

    They need to contact the PDC of the domain in order to
    change the password. Check connectivity with the PDC,
    ping by tcp/ip address then by name. Next attempt to
    map to a share on the PDC. If any of these fail post the
    exact error message.

    "Need Help" <needhelp@address.com> wrote in message news
    > Hi,
    > On a windows NT server, users are not able to change their login
    > password at windows startup once it has expired. error message reads:
    >
    > "the system cannnot change password because domain __ is not available"

    Hi,
    That all seems fine. I can also change thier password manually from the
    sever and it picks up on the user side, they just can't change it from their
    pc's. Any thoughts?

    Thanks

    "Michael Giorgio - MVP" <michael.giorgio@Nospam.mayerson.com> wrote in
    message news:ecW0FJviFHA.2152@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    > They need to contact the PDC of the domain in order to
    > change the password. Check connectivity with the PDC,
    > ping by tcp/ip address then by name. Next attempt to
    > map to a share on the PDC. If any of these fail post the
    > exact error message.
    >
    > "Need Help" <needhelp@address.com> wrote in message news
    > > Hi,
    > > On a windows NT server, users are not able to change their login
    > > password at windows startup once it has expired. error message reads:
    > >
    > > "the system cannnot change password because domain __ is not available"

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Open a dos prompt and run nbtstat -c immediately
    after a failed password change attempt; what do you
    see? It's possible there is a static entry in the lmhosts
    file pointing to the wrong PDC. The entry will have
    a -1 for TTL if it is being preloaded from lmhosts and
    a 600 or less value for TTL if it is being pulled from
    WINS or broadcasts.

    "Need Help Jr" <need@help.com> wrote in message news
    > Hi,
    > That all seems fine. I can also change thier password manually from
    > the
    > sever and it picks up on the user side, they just can't change it from
    > their
    > pc's. Any thoughts?

Login Domain Microsoft Windows NT Windows