copying user profiles to another machine (NT4 workstation)

I was wondering if copying the user profile from one machine to another
could be done??

This is the setup we have....

A machine is logged onto the network and the roaming profile gets
downloaded, it then gets taken offsite for a user to use offline and connect
using VPN so the profile being used is a local profile that is a copy of
their roaming profile.

The problem is that if the profile gets corrupt or anything we then struggle
to get the machine working via RAS sometimes so the machine may need to be
brought back onsite for it to be logged onto the network properly.

Is there a way to log their id on a machine on our network and copy relevent
files to a cd for this to be sent to them so they can maybe log on as a
different user (one whose profile is on that pc) and then run this cd which
will copy files needed for a local user account???

I hope this makes sense.

Regards

Bloke
5 answers Last reply
More about copying user profiles machine workstation

    The default profile will be created but you can copy
    the contents of any profile into a newly created default
    profile. I would leave out Temp Inet Files and Cookies
    because of space restrictions but it can be done.

    "Bloke" <bloke@softhome.net> wrote in message news:
    >I was wondering if copying the user profile from one machine to another
    >could be done??
    >
    > This is the setup we have....
    >
    > A machine is logged onto the network and the roaming profile gets
    > downloaded, it then gets taken offsite for a user to use offline and
    > connect using VPN so the profile being used is a local profile that is a
    > copy of their roaming profile.
    >
    > The problem is that if the profile gets corrupt or anything we then
    > struggle to get the machine working via RAS sometimes so the machine may
    > need to be brought back onsite for it to be logged onto the network
    > properly.
    >
    > Is there a way to log their id on a machine on our network and copy
    > relevent files to a cd for this to be sent to them so they can maybe log
    > on as a different user (one whose profile is on that pc) and then run this
    > cd which will copy files needed for a local user account???
    >
    > I hope this makes sense.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Bloke

    What I actually need is the full profile copying, including
    username/password etc..... any ideas if this can be done? If so, how?

    Regards

    Bloke

    "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com> wrote in
    message news:us9TAg6iFHA.3288@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > The default profile will be created but you can copy
    > the contents of any profile into a newly created default
    > profile. I would leave out Temp Inet Files and Cookies
    > because of space restrictions but it can be done.
    >
    > "Bloke" <bloke@softhome.net> wrote in message news:
    >>I was wondering if copying the user profile from one machine to another
    >>could be done??
    >>
    >> This is the setup we have....
    >>
    >> A machine is logged onto the network and the roaming profile gets
    >> downloaded, it then gets taken offsite for a user to use offline and
    >> connect using VPN so the profile being used is a local profile that is a
    >> copy of their roaming profile.
    >>
    >> The problem is that if the profile gets corrupt or anything we then
    >> struggle to get the machine working via RAS sometimes so the machine may
    >> need to be brought back onsite for it to be logged onto the network
    >> properly.
    >>
    >> Is there a way to log their id on a machine on our network and copy
    >> relevent files to a cd for this to be sent to them so they can maybe log
    >> on as a different user (one whose profile is on that pc) and then run
    >> this cd which will copy files needed for a local user account???
    >>
    >> I hope this makes sense.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >>
    >> Bloke

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Username and password sounds more specific to user
    account not profile. They are quite different in a domain
    model as well as a peer to peer workgroup.

    "Bloke" <bloke@softhome.net> wrote in message news:
    > What I actually need is the full profile copying, including
    > username/password etc..... any ideas if this can be done? If so, how?

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    its the full account and profile i need to copy, ie once its been logged
    onto a domain and the account gets deployed, then this machine is taken off
    the network and the user logs on offline, its this account & profile I need
    to copy to another machine, can this be done?

    Regards

    "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com> wrote in
    message news:u$s69ITjFHA.1444@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > Username and password sounds more specific to user
    > account not profile. They are quite different in a domain
    > model as well as a peer to peer workgroup.
    >
    > "Bloke" <bloke@softhome.net> wrote in message news:
    >> What I actually need is the full profile copying, including
    >> username/password etc..... any ideas if this can be done? If so, how?

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Both will be retained by default. The machine will cache
    the last 10 successful logons in the event a DC cannot
    be contacted for authentication. The domain user account
    will be cached and the same profile will be used. As for
    copying the account from the domain to the local machine
    I do not have a solution other than manually creating an
    account on the local machine and copying the contents
    fo the user profile from the domain profile to the local
    profile.

    "Bloke" <bloke@softhome.net> wrote in message news:
    > its the full account and profile i need to copy, ie once its been logged
    > onto a domain and the account gets deployed, then this machine is taken
    > off the network and the user logs on offline, its this account & profile I
    > need to copy to another machine, can this be done?

Workstations Windows