Is this okay for basic computer needs?

Building my own:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16856101238

Just for teaching how to use the computer. Basic productivity (Office,
Internet, Email). No 3D games, but possibly some programming and
therefore compiling medium complexity programs.

Thanks for looking and letting me know. Also, do you know if I can get
a Athlon XP CPU for this one? Can't afford the 64 bit yet.

Thank you again.

needin4mation@gmail.com wrote:
> Building my own:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16856101238

I prefer Nforce chipset. Socket 939, look into it.

My personal computer:

Lian Li aluminum case, MSI K8N Neo4 motherboard (Nvidia nforce4), AMD
Athlon 64 4000+ (ClawHammer) 1MB L2 Cache (Socket 939) CPU (retail
pack). I have a gigabyte of Patriot "Extreme Performance" DDR 400/PC3200
RAM. For video I chose an ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon X600Pro (PCI-express,
256MB). My PC also has a Seagate 120 Gigabyte 7200 RPM EIDE HD
(dual-booting WinXP Pro SP2 and SuSE Linux 9.0), a NEC DVD-RW drive, an
RCA cable modem, and a TEAC floppy drive. I use a spectcular 19"
Viewsonic VP191B LCD display. MAN< THAT MONITOR ROCKS. I love my
flexible, washable, Mini-VIK "Virtually indestructible keyboard", and my
ergonomic Evoluent Vertical Mouse.

<needin4mation@gmail.com> wrote...
> Building my own:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16856101238
>
> Just for teaching how to use the computer. Basic productivity (Office,
> Internet, Email). No 3D games, but possibly some programming and
> therefore compiling medium complexity programs.

Sure. Virtually any computer sold today will do what you want.

An Athlon XP will be Socket 462, and the barebones system you're looking
at has a Socket 754. BTW at current prices you'll spend more for an XP than
you will for a Sempron 754. I looked at Newegg and you'll be able to pick
up
a Sempron 2800+ for $75. I'd make sure to get one of the 256kb L2 cache
Semprons, rather than the 128kb cpu's.

Jeff