faulty Epson 660

Before I resign my 6 year old Epson Stylus Color 660 to the recycle yard in
the sky. Is it worth the effort to fix it.

It prints Black OK but has issues with the colour cartridge (I use non Epson
carts). When I put in a new colour cartridge it prints fine for a few sheets
but then starts turning everything to a predominately red shade.

Thought about selling as spares/or repair on ebay but the postage cost would
outweigh any benefits for someone to bid for it.

Any thoughts

Noman
9 answers Last reply
More about faulty epson

    Forgot to say that if the cleaning mode is done about 10 times it's fine but
    after it's not been used for a few days it's back to red shades.

    Noman

    It sounds like your cyan ink isn't delivering properly. When you get
    this red image, do a nozzle check and see if the cyan nozzles are
    printing. I'd guess they aren't.

    You may have a defective cartridge with some bad cyan ink, or some
    bubbles in the cartridge causing some intermittent air locks in the cyan
    head. Or the cyan cartridge section may have a clogged air vent (the
    the top of the cartridge) make sure it is clear.

    If you email me in private mail, I will send you a group of articles and
    information of resolving clogged heads and other related problems with
    Epson printers.

    Art

    On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 12:28:53 +0100, "noman" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Forgot to say that if the cleaning mode is done about 10 times it's fine but
    >after it's not been used for a few days it's back to red shades.
    >
    >Noman

    The Print head needs to be removed and cleaned..

    When the nozzles get partly blocked they can't be cleaned with the cleaning
    option, you need some solvent to remove the clogged up ink..

    A Ammonia type cleaner works great..

    Any online instructions for this or is it simple.

    Noman

    The heads of Epson printers do not need to be removed to clean them
    properly, in fact, it can resolve in other problems for those who do not
    have expertise in doing do.

    Further there are numerous causes of intermittent printing of a head,
    and not all are clogs.

    I agree that ammoniated window cleaner is a good solvent in many cases
    (depending upon the ink type used) to clean clogs.

    Art

    puss@purrpurr.com wrote:

    > On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 12:28:53 +0100, "noman" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Forgot to say that if the cleaning mode is done about 10 times it's fine but
    >>after it's not been used for a few days it's back to red shades.
    >>
    >>Noman
    >>

    > The Print head needs to be removed and cleaned..
    >
    > When the nozzles get partly blocked they can't be cleaned with the cleaning
    > option, you need some solvent to remove the clogged up ink..
    >
    > A Ammonia type cleaner works great..

    > Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)

    I wouldn't suggest your removing the heads to clean them, and, as I
    mentioned, there may be other causes for what your printer is doing.

    In fact, the 660 is a particularly easy printer to make cleaning
    cartridges for, because it has no intelledge chips.

    If you email me privately, I will send you a copy of a set of articles
    and instructions which should get you through this and resolve the problem.

    There is no fee for them, and I neither sell any inkjet products nor do
    I try to sell you anything else, nor do I send any spam.

    Art

    On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 05:42:17 GMT, Arthur Entlich <artistic@telus.net> wrote:

    >The heads of Epson printers do not need to be removed to clean them
    >properly, in fact, it can resolve in other problems for those who do not
    >have expertise in doing do.

    Yes they do, as a friend works for a Printer repair firm, and they take Epson
    heads out and soak them..

    I did the same with my 740..

    Plus you have to clean up the parking station, lots of paper dust/hairs, that
    stops it sealing..

    >Further there are numerous causes of intermittent printing of a head,
    >and not all are clogs.
    >
    >I agree that ammoniated window cleaner is a good solvent in many cases
    >(depending upon the ink type used) to clean clogs.
    >
    >Art
    >
    >puss@purrpurr.com wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 12:28:53 +0100, "noman" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Forgot to say that if the cleaning mode is done about 10 times it's fine but
    >>>after it's not been used for a few days it's back to red shades.
    >>>
    >>>Noman
    >>>

    >> The Print head needs to be removed and cleaned..
    >>
    >> When the nozzles get partly blocked they can't be cleaned with the cleaning
    >> option, you need some solvent to remove the clogged up ink..
    >>
    >> A Ammonia type cleaner works great..
    >>

    >> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >> Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)

    Look, friend, I have assisted thousands of people in the repair and
    unclogging of Epson printers, yes, you've read that correctly: THOUSANDS.

    The results have been way over 90% success rates, and not in one case
    have I even needed to recommend removal of the heads unless they were
    failed and required replacement.

    However, I have had to provide the sad news to dozens and dozens of
    people who have removed the heads to their printers that they have
    managed to destroy the heads in trying to clean them outside the printer
    and that's why they "won't print anymore".

    I am not saying that Epson doesn't remove the heads, or that even Epson
    service depots don't remove they heads, they indeed may do so. It may
    indeed be more effective to do so IF THEY KNOW EXACTLY what they are
    doing, and if (and when) they do screw up, they have free replacement
    heads available to them, and the setup program required to replace the
    heads.

    I stand by my statement that the only reason to remove the heads on a
    consumer Epson printer is to literally replace the head. Otherwise, it
    is not only unnecessary, but it can be potentially hazardous to the life
    of the printer, because it creates many potential problems. Further, it
    requires in nearly every case, that the case be removed from the
    printer, which again, on many requires knowledge of the procedure to
    remove the top of the case. I have seen many Epson printers with broken
    cases, ruined ribbon cables, bent or distorted shielding, lost screws,
    non-functional control panels, etc, as a result of someone trying to
    dismantle the printer without the service manual and even some with
    people who had them.

    Unless you are going to start explaining step by step or supplying
    service manuals to each person who you suggest "remove the head" of
    their printer, I strongly suggest you stop giving out this advice which
    can lead to a lot of broken printers.

    I suspect you have not personally worked on many Epson printers, or you
    would be more careful about offering this advice to the average person
    needing to simply unclog a head on the printer (if that is even the
    cause of the printer not printing).

    Art

    puss@purrpurr.com wrote:

    > On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 05:42:17 GMT, Arthur Entlich <artistic@telus.net> wrote:
    >

    >>The heads of Epson printers do not need to be removed to clean them
    >>properly, in fact, it can resolve in other problems for those who do not
    >>have expertise in doing do.
    >

    > Yes they do, as a friend works for a Printer repair firm, and they take Epson
    > heads out and soak them..
    >
    > I did the same with my 740..
    >
    > Plus you have to clean up the parking station, lots of paper dust/hairs, that
    > stops it sealing..
    >

    >>Further there are numerous causes of intermittent printing of a head,
    >>and not all are clogs.
    >>
    >>I agree that ammoniated window cleaner is a good solvent in many cases
    >>(depending upon the ink type used) to clean clogs.
    >>
    >>Art
    >>
    >>puss@purrpurr.com wrote:

    >>>The Print head needs to be removed and cleaned..
    >>>
    >>>When the nozzles get partly blocked they can't be cleaned with the cleaning
    >>>option, you need some solvent to remove the clogged up ink..
    >>>
    >>>A Ammonia type cleaner works great..
    >>>

    >>>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >>>Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)

    > Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)

    Follow Arthur Entlich's instructions for cleaning the print head, parking
    pad, and making and using cleaning cartridges. I have no connection with
    him at all, but he very kindly sent me his info regarding epson print head
    clogs and it worked perfectly! My printer is an Epson stylus color 900 and
    his technique brought the printer back to working as good as new. His
    instructions provide a non-destructive approach that has little risk of
    leaving you worse off than you started.

    At the same time, I purchased a Canon I960 printer and find that the quality
    of photo prints is far superior to my older Epson. Newer technology
    directed to photo printing certainly produces a better result. Evaluating
    photos with an 8X jewelers loupe from each, printed from the same file, show
    smaller ink "dots" laid closer together with the Canon. In many areas, the
    Canon I960 appears, under 8X magnification, to produce continuous tone areas
    as opposed to the series of distinct dots that the naked eye perceives as a
    continuous gradation of color. I am giving my Epson (still functioning
    perfectly) to my daughter and moving on to the Canon for all of my photo
    printing.

    Incidentally, I looked very critically at photos I had printed two and three
    years ago on the Epson and compared them to photos I printed last week with
    the same printer. Under 8X magnification the "dots" appear to have gotten
    slightly larger, but the naked eye view doesn't show any appreciable
    difference except for slightly less sharpness. If you are really critical
    about your photo results and can afford it I would move on to current
    technology.

    "noman" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Before I resign my 6 year old Epson Stylus Color 660 to the recycle yard
    in
    > the sky. Is it worth the effort to fix it.
    >
    > It prints Black OK but has issues with the colour cartridge (I use non
    Epson
    > carts). When I put in a new colour cartridge it prints fine for a few
    sheets
    > but then starts turning everything to a predominately red shade.
    >
    > Thought about selling as spares/or repair on ebay but the postage cost
    would
    > outweigh any benefits for someone to bid for it.
    >
    > Any thoughts
    >
    > Noman

Printers Epson Peripherals