cannot renew IP

There's five computer in my house all hooked up wirelessly and i had an old
computer that worked fine with my wireless netgear... now i have a new HP
with XP and my netgear says its working perfectly fine but the wireless
connection thing says i need to repair and the status in limited or no
connectivity and when i click repair in say it cannot renew IP

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

This sounds like a problem I have had with at least two customers' wireless
broadband installations and XP clients. I can't find the problem documented
(yet) but the symptoms are inability to get an IP lease via DHCP over a
wireless network. Renewing the connection fails and reseting IP (KB 299357)
makes no difference.

It appears that turning off any wireless encryption (both ends of course)
gets things working fine, after which security can be re-enabled without
adverse affect. I have seen similar problems on pre-SP1 and also on SP2 +
all latest Auto Updates, so I don't think 'install latest service pack'
covers this one.

Try this out and let me know if you find the same.
Steve Hunt, Poppy IT Services

"Luke M." wrote:

> There's five computer in my house all hooked up wirelessly and i had an old
> computer that worked fine with my wireless netgear... now i have a new HP
> with XP and my netgear says its working perfectly fine but the wireless
> connection thing says i need to repair and the status in limited or no
> connectivity and when i click repair in say it cannot renew IP

Luke,
I don't know if you have solved your problem. I have 2 desktops and 1 laptop
connected in my house to a netgear router. The laptop and the 1 desktop are
using netgear cards and are not having the problem you are discribing.
However the 1 desktop that is using a linksys card is.

How I resolved my problem that you are describing I disabled windows
wireless services. control panel - admistrative tools - services - wireless
zero configuration. Select to stop services first, then select to disable.
The default is set to automatic which will start up once the computer has
been rebooted, so change to disable or manual. This resolved the message
limited access or ip renewal when selected repair connection.

Another issue I just found recently to be the problem was an ethernet cable
was going bad on direct connect to the wireless router.

Hope this helps.
Angela

"Luke M." wrote:

> There's five computer in my house all hooked up wirelessly and i had an old
> computer that worked fine with my wireless netgear... now i have a new HP
> with XP and my netgear says its working perfectly fine but the wireless
> connection thing says i need to repair and the status in limited or no
> connectivity and when i click repair in say it cannot renew IP

Charlie

I've had a very similar problem with a similar configuration. However, when I
tried turning off wireless zero configuration, it just told me to turn it
back on again! Have you any other suggestions?