eventid: 8032 on BDC

Ade

Distinguished
May 5, 2004

Hi,

We have an issue, noone can browse the compiyer list via network
neighbourhood as no machines are showing.

There is a pdc - appears to be OK, the bdc shows eventid: 8032 every 30
minutes, the event is

Broswer
The browser service has failed to retrieve the backup list too many times on
transport \Device\NetBT_CpqNF31. The backup browser is stopping.

The regkey for the BDC is
HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\services\browser\parameters\
IsDomainMaster "TRUE"
ManitainServerList "YES"

The regkey for the PDC is
HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\services\browser\parameters\
IsDomainMaster "FALSE"
ManitainServerList "Yes"

Please can you let me know if this is correct? The users would like to
browse the network! (P.S. this has only just started hapenning, no changes
have been made)

No exactly. <g> By default the PDC is always
the DMB or domain master browser as well as the
segment master browser (SMB). Setting the
IsDomainMaster to True on the BDC will give it
a better shot at becoming the SMB but may cause
trouble like you are seeing. Change it back to false
on the BDC and reboot.

As for the 8032 error, do you also see a 8021 error
as well? Perhaps you have a multihomed (2 NICs)
master browser on your network acting as a router
between 2 segments?

"ade" <someone@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:
> Hi,
>
> We have an issue, noone can browse the compiyer list via network
> neighbourhood as no machines are showing.
>
> There is a pdc - appears to be OK, the bdc shows eventid: 8032 every 30
> minutes, the event is
>
> Broswer
> The browser service has failed to retrieve the backup list too many times
> on
> transport \Device\NetBT_CpqNF31. The backup browser is stopping.
>
> The regkey for the BDC is
> HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\services\browser\parameters\
> IsDomainMaster "TRUE"
> ManitainServerList "YES"
>
> The regkey for the PDC is
> HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\services\browser\parameters\
> IsDomainMaster "FALSE"
> ManitainServerList "Yes"
>
> Please can you let me know if this is correct? The users would like to
> browse the network! (P.S. this has only just started hapenning, no changes
> have been made)

Ade

Distinguished
May 5, 2004

Thanks for the reply, there are no 8021 errors in the evnt log on the BDC or
PDC.

Regarding the PDC, is the regkey setup correctly before I make the changes?

Thanks

"Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com> wrote in
message news:uvgFPHgjFHA.1416@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> No exactly. <g> By default the PDC is always
> the DMB or domain master browser as well as the
> segment master browser (SMB). Setting the
> IsDomainMaster to True on the BDC will give it
> a better shot at becoming the SMB but may cause
> trouble like you are seeing. Change it back to false
> on the BDC and reboot.
>
> As for the 8032 error, do you also see a 8021 error
> as well? Perhaps you have a multihomed (2 NICs)
> master browser on your network acting as a router
> between 2 segments?
>
> "ade" <someone@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:
> > Hi,
> >
> > We have an issue, noone can browse the compiyer list via network
> > neighbourhood as no machines are showing.
> >
> > There is a pdc - appears to be OK, the bdc shows eventid: 8032 every 30
> > minutes, the event is
> >
> > Broswer
> > The browser service has failed to retrieve the backup list too many
times
> > on
> > transport \Device\NetBT_CpqNF31. The backup browser is stopping.
> >
> > The regkey for the BDC is
> > HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\services\browser\parameters\
> > IsDomainMaster "TRUE"
> > ManitainServerList "YES"
> >
> > The regkey for the PDC is
> > HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\services\browser\parameters\
> > IsDomainMaster "FALSE"
> > ManitainServerList "Yes"
> >
> > Please can you let me know if this is correct? The users would like to
> > browse the network! (P.S. this has only just started hapenning, no
changes
> > have been made)

Yes, by default both keys should be false. The PDC will
assume the role of SMB or take over the role. If you still
see the 8032 errors you may have some form of LSA
corruption. There are ways to determine the root of the
corruption or you could get feisty and delete the SAM on
the BDC then reboot and let it get a fresh, read-only, copy
from the PDC.

> Thanks for the reply, there are no 8021 errors in the evnt log on the BDC
> or
> PDC.
>
> Regarding the PDC, is the regkey setup correctly before I make the
> changes?
>
> Thanks
>
> "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com> wrote in
> message news:uvgFPHgjFHA.1416@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> No exactly. <g> By default the PDC is always
>> the DMB or domain master browser as well as the
>> segment master browser (SMB). Setting the
>> IsDomainMaster to True on the BDC will give it
>> a better shot at becoming the SMB but may cause
>> trouble like you are seeing. Change it back to false
>> on the BDC and reboot.
>>
>> As for the 8032 error, do you also see a 8021 error
>> as well? Perhaps you have a multihomed (2 NICs)
>> master browser on your network acting as a router
>> between 2 segments?
>>
>> "ade" <someone@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > We have an issue, noone can browse the compiyer list via network
>> > neighbourhood as no machines are showing.
>> >
>> > There is a pdc - appears to be OK, the bdc shows eventid: 8032 every 30
>> > minutes, the event is
>> >
>> > Broswer
>> > The browser service has failed to retrieve the backup list too many
> times
>> > on
>> > transport \Device\NetBT_CpqNF31. The backup browser is stopping.
>> >
>> > The regkey for the BDC is
>> > HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\services\browser\parameters\
>> > IsDomainMaster "TRUE"
>> > ManitainServerList "YES"
>> >
>> > The regkey for the PDC is
>> > HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\services\browser\parameters\
>> > IsDomainMaster "FALSE"
>> > ManitainServerList "Yes"
>> >
>> > Please can you let me know if this is correct? The users would like to
>> > browse the network! (P.S. this has only just started hapenning, no
> changes
>> > have been made)

Ade

Distinguished
May 5, 2004

Greets Michael,

Indeed the errors are still present. If you know of anything else I can try
(before deleting the BDC's copy of the SAM) then it would be much
appreciated.

Thanks again

"Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com> wrote in
message news:OQ%23tFVgjFHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Yes, by default both keys should be false. The PDC will
> assume the role of SMB or take over the role. If you still
> see the 8032 errors you may have some form of LSA
> corruption. There are ways to determine the root of the
> corruption or you could get feisty and delete the SAM on
> the BDC then reboot and let it get a fresh, read-only, copy
> from the PDC.
>
> "ade" <someone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks for the reply, there are no 8021 errors in the evnt log on the BDC
>> or
>> PDC.
>>
>> Regarding the PDC, is the regkey setup correctly before I make the
>> changes?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com> wrote in
>> message news:uvgFPHgjFHA.1416@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>> No exactly. <g> By default the PDC is always
>>> the DMB or domain master browser as well as the
>>> segment master browser (SMB). Setting the
>>> IsDomainMaster to True on the BDC will give it
>>> a better shot at becoming the SMB but may cause
>>> trouble like you are seeing. Change it back to false
>>> on the BDC and reboot.
>>>
>>> As for the 8032 error, do you also see a 8021 error
>>> as well? Perhaps you have a multihomed (2 NICs)
>>> master browser on your network acting as a router
>>> between 2 segments?

>> times

>> changes

Recovering from Minor LSA Corruption