Problem with NT User manager (Dial-in properties) under Wi..

We are currently providing support for an NT 4.0 domain connecting via Win2K3
terminal server that is on the NT 4.0 domain and using NT user manager v5.2
(which I don't know if it the one that comes with 2K3 resource kit).
The problem is whenever we try to modify a user's dial-in properties, we
receive the message "This function is not supported on this system" and "The
user properties cannot be edited over viewed". At first we thought that is a
was a perm problem but even as a domain administrator I cannot run this.
I tried copying older versions of User Manager but it seems that Win2K3 is
ignoring these versions and forcing the use of this V5.2. The question is
there an inherit bug in this version of USRMGR.EXE that comes with Win2K3?
Anybody ran into this? Thanks.

User Manager version 5.2? I wasn't aware they wrote a
version 5.2? I honestly have doubts there is a version beyond
the Service Pack 6 version. Where did you get your version?

"Terry B" <TerryB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> We are currently providing support for an NT 4.0 domain connecting via
> Win2K3
> terminal server that is on the NT 4.0 domain and using NT user manager
> v5.2
> (which I don't know if it the one that comes with 2K3 resource kit).
> The problem is whenever we try to modify a user's dial-in properties, we
> receive the message "This function is not supported on this system" and
> "The
> user properties cannot be edited over viewed". At first we thought that
> is a
> was a perm problem but even as a domain administrator I cannot run this.
> I tried copying older versions of User Manager but it seems that Win2K3 is
> ignoring these versions and forcing the use of this V5.2. The question is
> there an inherit bug in this version of USRMGR.EXE that comes with Win2K3?
> Anybody ran into this? Thanks.

You think its possible you have an earlier version than
the NT 4.0 DCs are using? If not then search all files
and folders for usrmgr and delete them all. Then copy
the version directly from the NT 4.0 PDC.

"Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com> wrote in
message news:
> User Manager version 5.2? I wasn't aware they wrote a
> version 5.2? I honestly have doubts there is a version beyond
> the Service Pack 6 version. Where did you get your version?

Michael using User manager for Domains under Windows 2003 If you click on
Help-->About it is Version 5.2 (build 3790.srv03_rtm.030324-2048). It is
possible that it part of the Win2K3 resource kit or the NT migration tools. I
have removed all instances of usrmgr from this server and copied it from the
PDC. I still get the same result

"Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:

> You think its possible you have an earlier version than
> the NT 4.0 DCs are using? If not then search all files
> and folders for usrmgr and delete them all. Then copy
> the version directly from the NT 4.0 PDC.
>
> "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com> wrote in
> message news:
> > User Manager version 5.2? I wasn't aware they wrote a
> > version 5.2? I honestly have doubts there is a version beyond
> > the Service Pack 6 version. Where did you get your version?

The OS is 5.2 not user manager. It's possible they released
another version like I said which is why I asked you where
you got your copy. But if you remove all instances and copied
a version from NT then you are using an earlier version. Versions
of User manager are talked about with date stamps and file size e.g.,
"Usrmgr.exe dated 08/09/96 with time of 01:30 A.M. and a size of 299,280
bytes"

Reference: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;238485

In any case I can't get W2k3 to recognize the dialin permissions from
any version. Same error. I'll do a bit more research and get back to
you.

"Terry B" <TerryB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:...
> Michael using User manager for Domains under Windows 2003 If you click on
> Help-->About it is Version 5.2 (build 3790.srv03_rtm.030324-2048). It is
> possible that it part of the Win2K3 resource kit or the NT migration
> tools. I
> have removed all instances of usrmgr from this server and copied it from
> the
> PDC. I still get the same result
>

> "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:
>
>> You think its possible you have an earlier version than
>> the NT 4.0 DCs are using? If not then search all files
>> and folders for usrmgr and delete them all. Then copy
>> the version directly from the NT 4.0 PDC.
>>
>> "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com> wrote in
>> message news:
>> > User Manager version 5.2? I wasn't aware they wrote a
>> > version 5.2? I honestly have doubts there is a version beyond
>> > the Service Pack 6 version. Where did you get your version?

I figured that out Mike. Unfortunately any version of User Manager
(including the one you mention) that I have used yields the same result
under Win2K3. This issue does not appear on any Win2K or NT boxes though.
I am just wondering whether it's a "bug" under Win2K3. In the interim we
will keep using Win2K for domain mgmt. Thanks for your help

Regards

Terry

"Michael Giorgio - MVP" <michael.giorgio@Nospam.mayerson.com> wrote in
message news:OLTRWCqkFHA.1948@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> The OS is 5.2 not user manager. It's possible they released
> another version like I said which is why I asked you where
> you got your copy. But if you remove all instances and copied
> a version from NT then you are using an earlier version. Versions
> of User manager are talked about with date stamps and file size e.g.,
> "Usrmgr.exe dated 08/09/96 with time of 01:30 A.M. and a size of 299,280
> bytes"
>
> Reference: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;238485
>
> In any case I can't get W2k3 to recognize the dialin permissions from
> any version. Same error. I'll do a bit more research and get back to
> you.
>

> "Terry B" <TerryB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:...
> > Michael using User manager for Domains under Windows 2003 If you click
on
> > Help-->About it is Version 5.2 (build 3790.srv03_rtm.030324-2048). It
is
> > possible that it part of the Win2K3 resource kit or the NT migration
> > tools. I
> > have removed all instances of usrmgr from this server and copied it from
> > the
> > PDC. I still get the same result
> >

> > "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> You think its possible you have an earlier version than
> >> the NT 4.0 DCs are using? If not then search all files
> >> and folders for usrmgr and delete them all. Then copy
> >> the version directly from the NT 4.0 PDC.
> >>
> >> "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com> wrote
in
> >> message news:

I am seeing the same results here as well.