NT 4 Server tools and XP Pro

We are running an NT 4 domain with server manager and user manager running on
XP Pro clients. Users & computers can be added/deleted ok but User Rights
changes or BDC sychronization do not work. Everything works on a NT 4
workstation. How is XP Pro stopping the server tools from working correctly
and is there a fix? Thank you

No. In this case it was the "Shutdown the system" user right but I get the
same message with any user right. It only happens with XP Pro and I think it
only started happening after SP2 was installed.

"Don H" wrote:

> We are running an NT 4 domain with server manager and user manager running on
> XP Pro clients. Users & computers can be added/deleted ok but User Rights
> changes or BDC sychronization do not work. Everything works on a NT 4
> workstation. How is XP Pro stopping the server tools from working correctly
> and is there a fix? Thank you

Hi Don,

In NT 4.0 the PDC holds the only modifiable copy of
the SAM database this means that all changes must be
made on the PDC then replicated out to all BDCs. When
you run user manager remotely the PDC is contacted the
only modifiable copy of the SAM is opened and edited.
Can you describe exactly what is happening that leads
you to your conclusion?

"Don H" <DonH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:...
> We are running an NT 4 domain with server manager and user manager running
> on
> XP Pro clients. Users & computers can be added/deleted ok but User Rights
> changes or BDC sychronization do not work. Everything works on a NT 4
> workstation. How is XP Pro stopping the server tools from working
> correctly
> and is there a fix? Thank you

hi michael

in user manager for domains on xp pro i attempt to remove a user from a user
rights policy and i get the message "you may not remove the local logon right
from the administrators local group. doing so would disable all local
administration of this computer". in server manager i get "access denied"
when i try to "synchronize with primary domain controller" although i can
synchronize the pdc. this seems to work on an old nt4 workstation. is it just
a local policy or sp2 setting on xp pro?

"Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:

> Hi Don,
>
> In NT 4.0 the PDC holds the only modifiable copy of
> the SAM database this means that all changes must be
> made on the PDC then replicated out to all BDCs. When
> you run user manager remotely the PDC is contacted the
> only modifiable copy of the SAM is opened and edited.
> Can you describe exactly what is happening that leads
> you to your conclusion?
>
> "Don H" <DonH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:...
> > We are running an NT 4 domain with server manager and user manager running
> > on
> > XP Pro clients. Users & computers can be added/deleted ok but User Rights
> > changes or BDC sychronization do not work. Everything works on a NT 4
> > workstation. How is XP Pro stopping the server tools from working
> > correctly
> > and is there a fix? Thank you

Are you actually attempting to remove the logon locally
right from the administrator group?

"Don H" <DonH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> hi michael
>
> in user manager for domains on xp pro i attempt to remove a user from a
> user
> rights policy and i get the message "you may not remove the local logon
> right
> from the administrators local group. doing so would disable all local
> administration of this computer". in server manager i get "access denied"
> when i try to "synchronize with primary domain controller" although i can
> synchronize the pdc. this seems to work on an old nt4 workstation. is it
> just
> a local policy or sp2 setting on xp pro?

Okay thanks Don. This is quite interesting, I'll see what I
can dig up and get back to you.