connecting GPS unit to Axim X30

August 23, 2004 5:51:47 PM

Greetings, How do I connect a GPS unit(USB) to my AximX30?
I bought this Axim last month with the hopes of using MS
Streets & Trips 2005 (which comes w/ a GPS receiver) on
it.

TIA
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 6:22:34 PM

Unfortunately, the answer is "you don't".

Most Pocket PCs do not act as a USB master. And, even if you have one
that does, you may not be able to find drivers that support that USB GPS.

I recommend you take a look at some of the Bluetooth enabled GPS units
that are compatible with a Pocket PC.
--
Todd Ogasawara, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices
Online Editor - http://MobileViews.com/ -- PDA & Wireless Info

Dennis wrote:
> Greetings, How do I connect a GPS unit(USB) to my AximX30?
> I bought this Axim last month with the hopes of using MS
> Streets & Trips 2005 (which comes w/ a GPS receiver) on
> it.
>
> TIA
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 11:35:26 PM

As Todd says, very likely you don't. I looked about, but really couldn't
find much info on S&T 2005 and the features/specs of the GPS that is bundled
with one version. I couldn't even really find that it was definitively USB.
I couldn't find it on MSs site so It may very well be they have some sort of
serial accessory for it. Delorme's Tripmate can be used USB, Serial or BT
with add-ons.

In any case you wouldn't run S&T on your PPC anyway, you would run Pocket
Streets which is included with the package. Pocket Streets, while a decent
mapping program is generally accepted as the most dismal option to use if
you want GPS support. It is limited to sticking a dot where you are on the
screen...that's it.

Do not despair. Your X30 is a great package and will thrill you as a Nav
accessory, just not with Pocket Streets. There are gobs of options, and you
can look at www.gpspassion.com or www.pocketgpsworld.com/ or some others to
get ideas.

I would like to point out one package that is kind of interesting right now,
though I don't have much experience with it. At least with the software. The
hardware works just fine. Take a look at
http://www.delorme.com/bluelogger/order.asp Option one is a BT GPS +
Handheld software for $150. That's not bad for a pretty nice BT GPS, even
if we find the software isn't all that great. You could still use the GPS
with Pocket Streets (and you could get the cheap non-GPS S&T), or you could
get one of the numerous real PPC navigation programs. It is certainly
compatible with your X30, it is with mine.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"Dennis" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Greetings, How do I connect a GPS unit(USB) to my AximX30?
> I bought this Axim last month with the hopes of using MS
> Streets & Trips 2005 (which comes w/ a GPS receiver) on
> it.
>
> TIA
August 24, 2004 1:53:05 AM

Which GPS receiver?

Some, such as the new Delorme USB unit offers a serial cable... next
question... does the X30 have a serial port?

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 8:22:32 PM

Well, 2005 showed up on MS now. Here's the PPC story

"Adding GPS tracking functionality to your Pocket PC or Smartphone is
literally a snap; you just plug the GPS device into a Bluetooth or CF
expansion sled, and you're ready to go. For even more power and flexibility
in connecting to mobile devices, the Streets & Trips GPS receiver is
compatible with Pharos GPS 360 accessories, so it can easily expand into a
wireless Bluetooth® receiver or a CompactFlash/PCMCIA connected receiver. "

So with the X30, your option is to get the BT hardware for the Pharos GPS
360 for $99 http://www.shopharmony.com/product.asp?i=PXT09 or go some other
route.

No particular mention of anything super about Pocket Streets, such as
routing. Did notice the inset for Pocket Streets shows Streets and Trips
with a route displayed and a PPC and Smartphone with it not.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> As Todd says, very likely you don't. I looked about, but really couldn't
> find much info on S&T 2005 and the features/specs of the GPS that is
bundled
> with one version. I couldn't even really find that it was definitively
USB.
> I couldn't find it on MSs site so It may very well be they have some sort
of
> serial accessory for it. Delorme's Tripmate can be used USB, Serial or BT
> with add-ons.
>
> In any case you wouldn't run S&T on your PPC anyway, you would run Pocket
> Streets which is included with the package. Pocket Streets, while a decent
> mapping program is generally accepted as the most dismal option to use if
> you want GPS support. It is limited to sticking a dot where you are on the
> screen...that's it.
>
> Do not despair. Your X30 is a great package and will thrill you as a Nav
> accessory, just not with Pocket Streets. There are gobs of options, and
you
> can look at www.gpspassion.com or www.pocketgpsworld.com/ or some others
> get ideas.
>
> I would like to point out one package that is kind of interesting right
now,
> though I don't have much experience with it. At least with the software.
The
> hardware works just fine. Take a look at
> http://www.delorme.com/bluelogger/order.asp Option one is a BT GPS +
> Handheld software for $150. That's not bad for a pretty nice BT GPS,
even
> if we find the software isn't all that great. You could still use the GPS
> with Pocket Streets (and you could get the cheap non-GPS S&T), or you
could
> get one of the numerous real PPC navigation programs. It is certainly
> compatible with your X30, it is with mine.
>
> --
> Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> "Dennis" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Greetings, How do I connect a GPS unit(USB) to my AximX30?
> > I bought this Axim last month with the hopes of using MS
> > Streets & Trips 2005 (which comes w/ a GPS receiver) on
> > it.
> >
> > TIA

Anonymous
September 10, 2004 12:39:08 AM

Dennis wrote:
> *Greetings, How do I connect a GPS unit(USB) to my AximX30?
> I bought this Axim last month with the hopes of using MS
> Streets & Trips 2005 (which comes w/ a GPS receiver) on
> it.
>
> TIA *

No offense to anyone but I can tell not a lot of research was done into
this..

The USB 360 outputs a serial signal, as evidenced by the driver
installation when you install it via USB (detects a Serial->USB
bridge). The other clue, the big, important one that everyone shouldve
looked at, was this product:

http://www.pharosgps.com/products/dell/AximX5/PK038.htm

It connects to the port on the Axim. As you may or may not know, the
port on the Axim is literally a serial port. A conversion between GPS
and serial on the Axim is entirely possible by hacking apart any cable
that will fit on the GPS unit and a cable that fits into the port on
the Axim, one can frankenstein a connection cable. The only things that
stand in the way are 1) pinouts (easily found but takes time) 2)
drivers (which may or may not be included with Pocket S+T 2k5), and 3)
power to the GPS will require an in-line input source, most likely 5v).
I am going to attempt this and report back later.

/edit: I realize that link shows an X5 but other places like here:

http://www.gps4fun.com/ph_dell.php

Have X3

--
kronchev
September 10, 2004 2:18:48 PM

>> literally serial USB 360 <<

what are the serial parameters? baud, byte structure, etc?

Thanks for your input, looking forward to more... every bit (;-) is
valuable.

I have the X5 pinouts at http://bevhoward.com/serial.htm#Axim and would
appreciate knowing what you find on the 30

I have since learned that the sipex chip simply increases the pin levels
and that it is possible to use the raw pinouts to access a generic
serial (gps) connection on both the X5 and i700

>> not much research <<

....well that depends on your perspective ;-)

Pharos is aggressive... but, then again, so are their prices... which
makes it impossible for me to evaluate what they offer.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
!