Correct sequence of upgrading W2k domain to W3k domain

Is there any other ways of upgrading W2k domain
(except in place upgrade...)
with only one FSMO domain controller at the root
of the forest. (no subdomains)

Also E2k present and forest prep+dom prep,
already run from Exchange2000 CD, in preparation
for migration to Exchange2003.

One more question.
Earlier (year ago) we use Norton Ghost 8.0 to
move our DC (W2kSP4+MSUpdts)
to other harware platform.
(usually motherboard or HDD upgrades)
Now perhaps after small patches via MS Update,
awakening of the transferred image leads to
mistake - "Active Directory not found - so shutdown..."
AD restore mode with local admin falls into endless loop
such as incorrect partition mappings look like.

We usually correct this via editing network registry,
but if hardware is new, then NIC is also new,
so this is unreachable method too.

The last attempt as usually is install W2kSP4 above in
restore mode, (+rpc registry patch & WINS revive, UGH!)
and it's done the job,
(with AD location+local login to DC machine)
but unfortunantley
so healed DC looses client stations!
They are not recognised him anymore...

This is completely new behavior to us,
because earlier, all of this methods work quite well,
for about 6-8 years, even in the era of NT4.0...

All this is urgent,
especially for the MIGRATION lab test cloning purposes...
(next steps are - ISA2004 & Exchange2003 upgrades)

Any comments are welcome...
Thanks!!!

"Eugene Kuhtin" <ekuhtin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> already run from Exchange2000 CD, in preparation
Sorry, of course from Exchange2003 CD!!!