Error Loading Operating System after upgrading Motherboard

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
September 22, 2005 9:31:07 PM

I have just upgraed to a GA-K8nxp-9 motherboard. I do not have any
SATA drive just IDE drive nor do I have a Raid array. I have disabed
the raid and sata setting in the bios.

The system seems to Boot fine it detects all the drives I have been
through the first bit of the windows 2000 set up but when it reboots
after completing the first bit it simply comes up with the error

I have played with the boot order and can get it to boot from bootable
disks and floppy drives but cannot get it to load up windows.

I have tried to flash tye bios to F7 from F5 but it does not recognise
the file I downloaded from Gigabyte.
Can anybody help?
September 22, 2005 9:31:08 PM

this a new install of the OS on a newly formatted drive or the old hard
drive with the OS installed and you are trying to boot from it with the old
motherboard drivers installed?

"FrankP" <francis_phillips@ntlworld-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in
message news:vTBYe.566$B_6.192@fe05.news.easynews.com...
>I have just upgraed to a GA-K8nxp-9 motherboard. I do not have any
> SATA drive just IDE drive nor do I have a Raid array. I have disabed
> the raid and sata setting in the bios.
>
> The system seems to Boot fine it detects all the drives I have been
> through the first bit of the windows 2000 set up but when it reboots
> after completing the first bit it simply comes up with the error
>
> I have played with the boot order and can get it to boot from bootable
> disks and floppy drives but cannot get it to load up windows.
>
> I have tried to flash tye bios to F7 from F5 but it does not recognise
> the file I downloaded from Gigabyte.
> Can anybody help?

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
September 23, 2005 12:18:05 AM

FrankP wrote:

> I have just upgraed to a GA-K8nxp-9 motherboard. I do not have any
> SATA drive just IDE drive nor do I have a Raid array. I have disabed
> the raid and sata setting in the bios.
>
> The system seems to Boot fine it detects all the drives I have been
> through the first bit of the windows 2000 set up but when it reboots
> after completing the first bit it simply comes up with the error
>
> I have played with the boot order and can get it to boot from bootable
> disks and floppy drives but cannot get it to load up windows.
>
> I have tried to flash tye bios to F7 from F5 but it does not recognise
> the file I downloaded from Gigabyte.
> Can anybody help?

suspect either a memory problem or insufficient power supply or a BIOS
setting that's causing instability, not necessarily in that order.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
September 23, 2005 1:32:38 AM

I should have mentioned the drive was new as well.

I start the install process and it gets through to the first reboot
and then gives me the error loading operatiing system. I have tried
win 2000, win 2000 servre and win xp pro.
September 23, 2005 1:32:39 AM

try at a dos prompt. fdisk /mbr

"FrankP" <francis_phillips@ntlworld-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in
message news:WpFYe.6195$E8.1376@fe06.news.easynews.com...
>I should have mentioned the drive was new as well.
>
> I start the install process and it gets through to the first reboot
> and then gives me the error loading operatiing system. I have tried
> win 2000, win 2000 servre and win xp pro.

September 23, 2005 4:41:07 AM

"FrankP" <francis_phillips@ntlworld-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in
message news:vTBYe.566$B_6.192@fe05.news.easynews.com...
>I have just upgraed to a GA-K8nxp-9 motherboard. I do not have any
> SATA drive just IDE drive nor do I have a Raid array. I have disabed
> the raid and sata setting in the bios.
>
> The system seems to Boot fine it detects all the drives I have been
> through the first bit of the windows 2000 set up but when it reboots
> after completing the first bit it simply comes up with the error
>
> I have played with the boot order and can get it to boot from bootable
> disks and floppy drives but cannot get it to load up windows.
>
> I have tried to flash tye bios to F7 from F5 but it does not recognise
> the file I downloaded from Gigabyte.
> Can anybody help?

Maybe try Memtest first, just to make sure.
http://www.memtest.org/
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
September 23, 2005 6:24:04 AM

JAD wrote:
> this a new install of the OS on a newly formatted drive or the old hard
> drive with the OS installed and you are trying to boot from it with the old
> motherboard drivers installed?

Sounds like the latter. But hey, it's windows, so people aren't used to
having to actually do anything...just plug and pray!

> "FrankP" <francis_phillips@ntlworld-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in
> message news:vTBYe.566$B_6.192@fe05.news.easynews.com...
>
>>I have just upgraed to a GA-K8nxp-9 motherboard. I do not have any
>>SATA drive just IDE drive nor do I have a Raid array. I have disabed
>>the raid and sata setting in the bios.
>>
>>The system seems to Boot fine it detects all the drives I have been
>>through the first bit of the windows 2000 set up but when it reboots
>>after completing the first bit it simply comes up with the error
>>
>>I have played with the boot order and can get it to boot from bootable
>>disks and floppy drives but cannot get it to load up windows.
>>
>>I have tried to flash tye bios to F7 from F5 but it does not recognise
>>the file I downloaded from Gigabyte.
>>Can anybody help?

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
September 23, 2005 6:07:59 PM

FrankP wrote:
> I should have mentioned the drive was new as well.
>
> I start the install process and it gets through to the first reboot
> and then gives me the error loading operatiing system. I have tried
> win 2000, win 2000 servre and win xp pro.

Hi Frank,

Have you set the BIOS to 'failsafe defaults'?

I suggest you make a cd for memtest86 and run it for at least one full
pass. I've had problems during windows installs for two reasons: CPU fan
caught in its own wires and bad RAM.

Cheers,

Ari

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
September 24, 2005 11:12:12 PM

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 21:32:38 GMT,
francis_phillips@ntlworld-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (FrankP) wrote:

>I should have mentioned the drive was new as well.
>
>I start the install process and it gets through to the first reboot
>and then gives me the error loading operatiing system. I have tried
>win 2000, win 2000 servre and win xp pro.

Try your bios settings.plug and play os=no.turn off all video
shadowing.Turn off all non essential devices(serial
ports,usb,printer,etc) You can turn them on after install.
!