NT 4.0 member server to NT 4.0 BDC?

How does one convert a NT 4.0 member server to a NT 4.0 BDC?

I went into server manager and added the server as a BDC but when I try to
login from the BDC I get the following error:

the session setup to the windows nt domain controller <unknown> for the
domain abc failed because the windows nt domain controller does not have an
account for the the computer tempsrv.

Any idea's on this error or how to get past this problem?

Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about member server

    You cannot do this without reinstalling NT and
    choosing BDC or using a thrid party utility to
    convert the server to BDC. U-promote.exe
    comes to mind. You can do a search on the
    Inet and get all the details you need.

    "John" <john@edd.com> wrote in message news:
    > How does one convert a NT 4.0 member server to a NT 4.0 BDC?
    >
    > I went into server manager and added the server as a BDC but when I try to
    > login from the BDC I get the following error:
    >
    > the session setup to the windows nt domain controller <unknown> for the
    > domain abc failed because the windows nt domain controller does not have
    > an account for the the computer tempsrv.
    >
    > Any idea's on this error or how to get past this problem?
    >
    > Thanks

    Thanks,

    u-promote did the job rather well!

    John

    ===================
    "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com> wrote in
    message news:OOvU3WFnFHA.3300@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > You cannot do this without reinstalling NT and
    > choosing BDC or using a thrid party utility to
    > convert the server to BDC. U-promote.exe
    > comes to mind. You can do a search on the
    > Inet and get all the details you need.
    >
    > "John" <john@edd.com> wrote in message news:
    >> How does one convert a NT 4.0 member server to a NT 4.0 BDC?
    >>
    >> I went into server manager and added the server as a BDC but when I try
    >> to login from the BDC I get the following error:
    >>
    >> the session setup to the windows nt domain controller <unknown> for the
    >> domain abc failed because the windows nt domain controller does not have
    >> an account for the the computer tempsrv.
    >>
    >> Any idea's on this error or how to get past this problem?
    >>
    >> Thanks

Domain Servers Windows NT Domain Controller Windows