Refurbished Computers? Worth the Risk?

Have any of you been to RefurbishedDepot.com? (No, I don't work
there). What do you think of this deal? I thought about buying
several of these, but I am scared because they are refurbished. I can
maintain them, but I don't want to have to right off the bat!

http://www.refurbdepot.com/productdetails2.cfm?Product_ID=3994

I thought this one sounded good, except for the amount of RAM. What am
I missing?

Thanks.
12 answers Last reply
More about refurbished computers worth risk

    Thanks for the reseller website. That is helpful. I know this is
    stupid, but, uh, 10 is good or bad? Looks like a good.

    In article <1127443939.840027.136020@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
    <needin4mation@gmail.com> wrote:
    >Have any of you been to RefurbishedDepot.com? (No, I don't work
    >there). What do you think of this deal? I thought about buying
    >several of these, but I am scared because they are refurbished. I can
    >maintain them, but I don't want to have to right off the bat!
    >
    >http://www.refurbdepot.com/productdetails2.cfm?Product_ID=3994
    >
    >I thought this one sounded good, except for the amount of RAM. What am
    >I missing?
    >
    >Thanks.

    Could be worse. They score a "10" on returns and refunds.

    I'd shop Dell and HP/COmpaq and look for "refurbs". There can be some good deals.
    Read the fine print, especially the warranty.

    I bought several excellent used IBM pcs from http://www.geeks.com/
    for $90 each.

    (no relation to geeks, or any other computer store for that matter.)

    --
    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

    needin4mation@gmail.com wrote:

    >I thought about buying several of these, but I am
    >scared because they are refurbished.

    You should be because there's no exact definition of "refurbished," and
    it can mean:

    1. Brand new, overstock return with full factory warranty

    2. Returned by customer, inspected for missing items

    3. Returned by customer, inspected for basic operation

    4. Repaired by manufacturer, checked for basic operation

    5. Repaired by third party service center, checked for basic operation

    6. Repaired by manufacturer, all known high-failure components
    routinely replaced even if working normally, all operational parameters
    measured nd monitored by automated "bed of nails" testing machine
    similar to the kind used on the manufacturing production line.

    I would trust only #1 and #6 because virtually every company will say
    that they thoroughly inspect, repair, and test the products - whether
    it's true or not. You need to speak with people who actually work in
    the refurbishment dept. and ask them fairly detailed technical
    questions. In the 2 cases I've done that I was told that the products
    were merely repaired, and a chief engineer for Viewsonic monitors said
    anything more was too costly.

    The worst refurbished products are those bought on the salvage market
    and repaired by sweatshops, but even major manufacturers have been
    known to do poor work, including Hitachi and Panasonic. Panasonic sent
    me 2 refurbished (repaired) monitors in a row in sorry condition -
    dropped (by them, not UPS), loose wires and components inside, fairly
    large piece of metal left out. And I'm fairly sure a person I dealt
    with in the warranty dept. was drunk or high each time I phoned him,
    which could explain why Panasonic has an unsatisfactory rating from the
    Better Business Bureau.

    needin4mation@gmail.com wrote:

    > What do you think of this deal? I thought about buying
    > several of these, but I am scared because they are refurbished.

    > www.refurbdepot.com/productdetails2.cfm?Product_ID=3994

    Considering that brand-new Dells start at only $300, I don't think I'd
    risk it unless it included the factory warranty and onsite or at least
    local warranty repair service because shipping can kill you (that
    dealer charges $35 shipping).

    I checked the warranty at the eMachines website, but because it left
    out details I tried the online chat and got responses like:

    "Do you have prepare model series for eMachines system?"
    "You can avail your warranty to us."
    "As well as the depot serive."

    The person couldn't even tell me where the closest service center was
    located -- or where any service center was located. He also offered an
    extended warranty (extra-cost misery?).

    On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 19:52:19 -0700, needin4mation thoughtfully wrote:

    > Have any of you been to RefurbishedDepot.com? (No, I don't work there).
    > What do you think of this deal? I thought about buying several of these,
    > but I am scared because they are refurbished. I can maintain them, but I
    > don't want to have to right off the bat!
    >
    > http://www.refurbdepot.com/productdetails2.cfm?Product_ID=3994
    >
    > I thought this one sounded good, except for the amount of RAM. What am I
    > missing?
    >
    > Thanks.

    I don't think there's anything wrong with refurbished but I think you
    could do better. WalMart sells $300 Emachine PCs don't they ?

    Also, like someone else says you should go to HP.com, IBM.com, Dell.com
    Gateway.com, outpost.com and checkout their clearance, on sale and
    reburbished PCs.

    I hope there's nothing wrong with refurbish because I'm 1 month on my
    refurbished X800Pro.

    <needin4mation@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Have any of you been to RefurbishedDepot.com? (No, I don't work
    > there). What do you think of this deal? I thought about buying
    > several of these, but I am scared because they are refurbished. I can
    > maintain them, but I don't want to have to right off the bat!
    >
    > http://www.refurbdepot.com/productdetails2.cfm?Product_ID=3994
    >
    > I thought this one sounded good, except for the amount of RAM. What am
    > I missing?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Check out this link from Del Computers.
    http://www1.us.dell.com/content/default.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dfh

    Most of the machines listed are from orders that were custom built but never
    delivered for what ever reason.

    You need to check the inventory well as at times the same hardware might
    come with XP Pro, Home, or even the Entertainment version. It all depends
    on what the original order had requested be installed when the system was
    built. With the speed of the inventory changes at the site if you do find
    something you really want you need to order it quickly.

    Another thing is the made up list prices they have. There is a Celeron M
    Compaq that says the list price was $3000. I have never seen a Celeron M
    machine for more than $1000. I can also guarantee that the emachine desktop
    never sold for $900 anywhere. This one is the funniest of all:
    http://www.refurbdepot.com/category.cfm?PageID=208
    A refurb. 20x cdrw drive for $95 with a list price of $200. Hilarious. They
    also have a HP PSC 1610 for $10 more than you can buy it for new.

    On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 16:51:07 +0000, Tweek wrote:

    > Another thing is the made up list prices they have. There is a Celeron M
    > Compaq that says the list price was $3000. I have never seen a Celeron M
    > machine for more than $1000. I can also guarantee that the emachine desktop
    > never sold for $900 anywhere. This one is the funniest of all:
    > http://www.refurbdepot.com/category.cfm?PageID=208
    > A refurb. 20x cdrw drive for $95 with a list price of $200. Hilarious.

    Hard to believe they could charge that. Then again, prices for CDR/W
    drives were higher in 2001, when this particular drive was new :-)

    Andy

    You are right about the shipping and whatnot. I also think their $79
    warrant is not good unless you live next door to the place. But as I
    said, I will do my own repairs. Sure, I'd be taking a chance, but, I
    may be a fool for this, I haven't had a lot of problems with computer
    parts being dead. Configuring them to work is another story (bad
    software, etc.).

    I thought they were good because of the 3100+ sempron, which I thought
    was supposed to be a good cpu. But thanks for pointing out the
    shipping. I forgot about it for returns. I bet they don't let me
    return parts of the damaged system either, but only the whole device.

    Refurb depot cpu's not worth anything but a headache and getting HP to
    live up to their warranty is impossible, they always refer you to
    another tech (from their site IN India!!!! Who says he will call you
    back or worse attempt to make you invalidate the warranty. And refurb
    depot offers to assist by refering you to these jackals. Is there any
    reputable Computer Dealer or is that term just an oxymoron? Anyone?

    Refurbished can mean many different things, usually it means the
    system was tried and it worked, end of story.

    Your better off buying a new system with warranties etc, "but" a 3200
    Barton based system will still do anything you want, depending on
    your vid card and memory fitted.

    If your only going to the moon, you don't need a ship that will go to
    Pluto.

Homebuilt Hardware Computers Systems