PC3200 RAM running at 166 MHz

Hi,

I have an ECS K8M800-M2 (1.0) motherboard running an Athlon 64 3000+ CPU.
The CPU's core frequency is 2000 MHz, with an FSB of 200 MHz. I've got the
latest BIOS revision (1.1A) installed.

I have 2 x 512 MB PC3200 DDR modules installed. For some reason, diagnostic
programs report that the memory is running at 166 MHz, not 200 MHz. I can't
seem to find any settings in the BIOS setup programs to be able to change
that.

Any pointers? Thanks.
--
Wiley

In article <L3XYe.35$0q6.56@news.oracle.com>, Wiley Q. Hacker says...
> Hi,
>
> I have an ECS K8M800-M2 (1.0) motherboard running an Athlon 64 3000+ CPU.
> The CPU's core frequency is 2000 MHz, with an FSB of 200 MHz. I've got the
> latest BIOS revision (1.1A) installed.
>
> I have 2 x 512 MB PC3200 DDR modules installed. For some reason, diagnostic
> programs report that the memory is running at 166 MHz, not 200 MHz. I can't
> seem to find any settings in the BIOS setup programs to be able to change
> that.
>
> Any pointers? Thanks.

Are you using onboard graphics? If so, on most boards the memory
defaults to 166.

--
Conor

"You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend and you've never seen
Star Trek? Good Lord!" - Patrick Stewart, Extras.

I am indeed using on-board graphics. So, that's probably what's causing the
issue. Is there a way around it?
--
Wiley

"Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
> In article <L3XYe.35$0q6.56@news.oracle.com>, Wiley Q. Hacker says...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have an ECS K8M800-M2 (1.0) motherboard running an Athlon 64 3000+ CPU.
>> The CPU's core frequency is 2000 MHz, with an FSB of 200 MHz. I've got
>> the
>> latest BIOS revision (1.1A) installed.
>>
>> I have 2 x 512 MB PC3200 DDR modules installed. For some reason,
>> diagnostic
>> programs report that the memory is running at 166 MHz, not 200 MHz. I
>> can't
>> seem to find any settings in the BIOS setup programs to be able to change
>> that.
>>
>> Any pointers? Thanks.
>
> Are you using onboard graphics? If so, on most boards the memory
> defaults to 166.
>

> --
> Conor
>
> "You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend and you've never seen
> Star Trek? Good Lord!" - Patrick Stewart, Extras.

jad

i do not believe that's true, never seen this before. I am currently
verifying and so far zip nada zilch one way or the other. Status quo for
Conors outlandish statements, no way to check pro or con.

Conor wrote:
> In article <L3XYe.35$0q6.56@news.oracle.com>, Wiley Q. Hacker says...
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I have an ECS K8M800-M2 (1.0) motherboard running an Athlon 64 3000+ CPU.
>>The CPU's core frequency is 2000 MHz, with an FSB of 200 MHz. I've got the
>>latest BIOS revision (1.1A) installed.
>>
>>I have 2 x 512 MB PC3200 DDR modules installed. For some reason, diagnostic
>>programs report that the memory is running at 166 MHz, not 200 MHz. I can't
>>seem to find any settings in the BIOS setup programs to be able to change
>>that.
>>
>>Any pointers? Thanks.
>

> Are you using onboard graphics? If so, on most boards the memory
> defaults to 166.

Hmm! I didn't know that!

"Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
> In article <L3XYe.35$0q6.56@news.oracle.com>, Wiley Q. Hacker says...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have an ECS K8M800-M2 (1.0) motherboard running an Athlon 64 3000+
CPU.
> > The CPU's core frequency is 2000 MHz, with an FSB of 200 MHz. I've got
the
> > latest BIOS revision (1.1A) installed.
> >
> > I have 2 x 512 MB PC3200 DDR modules installed. For some reason,
diagnostic
> > programs report that the memory is running at 166 MHz, not 200 MHz. I
can't
> > seem to find any settings in the BIOS setup programs to be able to
change
> > that.
> >
> > Any pointers? Thanks.
>
> Are you using onboard graphics? If so, on most boards the memory
> defaults to 166.
>

> --
> Conor
>
> "You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend and you've never seen
> Star Trek? Good Lord!" - Patrick Stewart, Extras.

What diagnostic programs?
Try CPU-Z, shows memory spec. You cam set manual memory speed in BIOS.
Mike.

I did try CPU-Z. That's what told me the RAM was running at 166 MHz.

Thanks.
--
Wiley

>I did try CPU-Z. That's what told me the RAM was running at 166 MHz.

Try putting your RAM modules in different sockets.

---
Kevin Chalker, Owner (KC COMPUTERS)
E-mail: kc@kc-computers.com Web: www.kc-computers.com
Internet dealer since 1991!!! See WWW.RESELLERRATINGS.COM!!!

Does MB support FSB 200Mhz? Some ECS MB does not suppport FSB 200Mhz.

In article <i40Ze.41$0q6.66@news.oracle.com>, Wiley Q. Hacker says...
> I am indeed using on-board graphics. So, that's probably what's causing the
> issue. Is there a way around it?

Not really. It's a limitation of the chipset. Check your motherboard
manual, it should state it somewhere in there.

--

In article <gNWdnWEWaOPSNKneRVn-ug@comcast.com>, ToolPackinMama says...

> Hmm! I didn't know that!

Seen it in a few manuals for nForce2 chipset motherboards.

--
Conor

"You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend and you've never seen
Star Trek? Good Lord!" - Patrick Stewart, Extras.

After some RTFM, I found a table in the manual that says that if I have
2 DIMMs, both "double rank", then both the 1T and 2T speeds are maxed
at DDR333. In all other scenarios, 1 DIMM, 2 DIMMs where one is "single
rank", the max speed is DDR 400 for both 1T and 2T.

I guess this means that I have two "double rank" DIMMs. So, the
question is, what is "double rank", and how does a double rank DDR333
DIMM compare to a single rank DDR400 DIMM?

Comments?
--
Wiley