Hi,

I just join a company. I don't understand two configuration in their domain.
They have 5 domain controllers. The PDC is NT 4.0. There are 2 BDC are NT 4.0
and the other 2 are Windows 2000 server. I don't know why active directory is
able to set up on my computer after install adminpak. I know NT 4.0 does not
come with active directory. What kind of software allows NT domain to use AD?
The second question is I see abc.com as the domain name in the windows log in
prompt. But in the DNS server, I see another donain name like cde.com and all
computers in domain abc.com are showed in cde.com. When a computer join the
domain, I have to type cde.com, but when log in, I see abc.com. Why?

Thanks in advance!!!

Lisa

ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

It sounds like they have the NT network running side-by-side with the AD
network, probably with trusts connecting the two together. This is fairly
common when migrating off of NT.

It is flat out impossible for a Windows 2000 or Windows 2003 server to be a
domain controller in an NT domain, so this is the only answer I can see.

HTH,

Ray

"Lisa" <Lisa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I just join a company. I don't understand two configuration in their
domain.
> They have 5 domain controllers. The PDC is NT 4.0. There are 2 BDC are NT
4.0
> and the other 2 are Windows 2000 server. I don't know why active directory
is
> able to set up on my computer after install adminpak. I know NT 4.0 does
not
> come with active directory. What kind of software allows NT domain to use
AD?
> The second question is I see abc.com as the domain name in the windows log
in
> prompt. But in the DNS server, I see another donain name like cde.com and
all
> computers in domain abc.com are showed in cde.com. When a computer join
the
> domain, I have to type cde.com, but when log in, I see abc.com. Why?
>
> Thanks in advance!!!
>
> Lisa

Thank you Ray. I want to set up a Windows 2003 server as PDC, the current PDC
is NT 4.0 server. How can I replace it?

Thanks in advance!

Lisa

"Ray" wrote:

> It sounds like they have the NT network running side-by-side with the AD
> network, probably with trusts connecting the two together. This is fairly
> common when migrating off of NT.
>
> It is flat out impossible for a Windows 2000 or Windows 2003 server to be a
> domain controller in an NT domain, so this is the only answer I can see.
>
> HTH,
>
> Ray
>
> "Lisa" <Lisa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just join a company. I don't understand two configuration in their
> domain.
> > They have 5 domain controllers. The PDC is NT 4.0. There are 2 BDC are NT
> 4.0
> > and the other 2 are Windows 2000 server. I don't know why active directory
> is
> > able to set up on my computer after install adminpak. I know NT 4.0 does
> not
> > come with active directory. What kind of software allows NT domain to use
> AD?
> > The second question is I see abc.com as the domain name in the windows log
> in
> > prompt. But in the DNS server, I see another donain name like cde.com and
> all
> > computers in domain abc.com are showed in cde.com. When a computer join
> the
> > domain, I have to type cde.com, but when log in, I see abc.com. Why?
> >
> > Thanks in advance!!!
> >
> > Lisa

ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

You cannot have anything other than an NT box as a domain controller in an
NT domain. You have to set up Active Directory to use Windows 2000 or 2003
as a domain controller.

> Thank you Ray. I want to set up a Windows 2003 server as PDC, the current
PDC
> is NT 4.0 server. How can I replace it?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Lisa
>
> "Ray" wrote:
>
> > It sounds like they have the NT network running side-by-side with the AD
> > network, probably with trusts connecting the two together. This is
fairly
> > common when migrating off of NT.
> >
> > It is flat out impossible for a Windows 2000 or Windows 2003 server to
be a
> > domain controller in an NT domain, so this is the only answer I can see.
> >
> > HTH,
> >
> > Ray
> >
> > "Lisa" <Lisa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I just join a company. I don't understand two configuration in their
> > domain.
> > > They have 5 domain controllers. The PDC is NT 4.0. There are 2 BDC are
NT
> > 4.0
> > > and the other 2 are Windows 2000 server. I don't know why active
directory
> > is
> > > able to set up on my computer after install adminpak. I know NT 4.0
does
> > not
> > > come with active directory. What kind of software allows NT domain to
use
> > AD?
> > > The second question is I see abc.com as the domain name in the windows
log
> > in
> > > prompt. But in the DNS server, I see another donain name like cde.com
and
> > all
> > > computers in domain abc.com are showed in cde.com. When a computer
join
> > the
> > > domain, I have to type cde.com, but when log in, I see abc.com. Why?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance!!!
> > >
> > > Lisa

Hi Ray,

Thank you for your reply. I do have Active directory and window 2000 domain
controller in the domain, but the primary domain controller is NT 4.0 server.
My question is how can I change the PDC role from NT to 2003 server?

Thanks,

Lisa

"Ray" wrote:

> You cannot have anything other than an NT box as a domain controller in an
> NT domain. You have to set up Active Directory to use Windows 2000 or 2003
> as a domain controller.
>
> Ray
>
> "Lisa" <Lisa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you Ray. I want to set up a Windows 2003 server as PDC, the current
> PDC
> > is NT 4.0 server. How can I replace it?
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> >
> > Lisa
> >
> > "Ray" wrote:
> >
> > > It sounds like they have the NT network running side-by-side with the AD
> > > network, probably with trusts connecting the two together. This is
> fairly
> > > common when migrating off of NT.
> > >
> > > It is flat out impossible for a Windows 2000 or Windows 2003 server to
> be a
> > > domain controller in an NT domain, so this is the only answer I can see.
> > >
> > > HTH,
> > >
> > > Ray
> > >
> > > "Lisa" <Lisa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > > domain.
> NT
> > > 4.0
> directory
> > > is
> does
> > > not
> use
> > > AD?
> log
> > > in
> and
> > > all
> join
> > > the

Hi Lisa,

I hope you don't mind me jumping in at this point but what
you are describing isn't possible unless you have two domains?
A W2k or W2k3 machine cannot be a BDC in an NT 4.0 domain.
W2k or higher needs the AD which isn't available in NT 4.0.

"Lisa" <Lisa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> Thank you for your reply. I do have Active directory and window 2000
> domain
> controller in the domain, but the primary domain controller is NT 4.0
> server.
> My question is how can I change the PDC role from NT to 2003 server?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Lisa

Hi Michael,

Thanks you for your reply. I have 5 DCs. Three of them are NT 4.0, two of
them are Windows 2000. NT does not have active directory, but if I install
adminpak on my system, I am able to use active directory in NT domain.

Lisa

"Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:

> Hi Lisa,
>
> I hope you don't mind me jumping in at this point but what
> you are describing isn't possible unless you have two domains?
> A W2k or W2k3 machine cannot be a BDC in an NT 4.0 domain.
> W2k or higher needs the AD which isn't available in NT 4.0.
>
> "Lisa" <Lisa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> > Thank you for your reply. I do have Active directory and window 2000
> > domain
> > controller in the domain, but the primary domain controller is NT 4.0
> > server.
> > My question is how can I change the PDC role from NT to 2003 server?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Lisa

I don't think it's possible. IMHO. Without a W2k or higher domain it
is not possible to use the AD. You can have NT 4.0 BDCs in a W2k
mixed mode environment which means that one of your W2k machines
must be acting as the PDC emulator. On the NT machine you think is
the PDC open a dos prompt and run "net accounts" then look at the
value of the computer role field. It should say Primary if that machine
is the PDC. Now do the same on all five DCs and determine which
one is the primary. The BDCs will say Backup and member servers
will say server. It's possible the W2k machines are not DCs but
members of your NT 4.0 domain. Lot's of variables. <g>

"Lisa" <Lisa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:...
> Hi Michael,
>
> Thanks you for your reply. I have 5 DCs. Three of them are NT 4.0, two of
> them are Windows 2000. NT does not have active directory, but if I install
> adminpak on my system, I am able to use active directory in NT domain.
>
> Lisa
>
> "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:
>
>> Hi Lisa,
>>
>> I hope you don't mind me jumping in at this point but what
>> you are describing isn't possible unless you have two domains?
>> A W2k or W2k3 machine cannot be a BDC in an NT 4.0 domain.
>> W2k or higher needs the AD which isn't available in NT 4.0.
>>
>> "Lisa" <Lisa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
>> > Thank you for your reply. I do have Active directory and window 2000
>> > domain
>> > controller in the domain, but the primary domain controller is NT 4.0
>> > server.
>> > My question is how can I change the PDC role from NT to 2003 server?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Lisa

Hi Michael,

Thank you so much! You are right. After I ran net accounts, I found one of
the W2K server is PDC, all other NT servers are BDC. Can you give me a
suggestion? I have about 300 notes in my domain, how many DC do I need?

Thanks again!

Lisa

"Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:

> I don't think it's possible. IMHO. Without a W2k or higher domain it
> is not possible to use the AD. You can have NT 4.0 BDCs in a W2k
> mixed mode environment which means that one of your W2k machines
> must be acting as the PDC emulator. On the NT machine you think is
> the PDC open a dos prompt and run "net accounts" then look at the
> value of the computer role field. It should say Primary if that machine
> is the PDC. Now do the same on all five DCs and determine which
> one is the primary. The BDCs will say Backup and member servers
> will say server. It's possible the W2k machines are not DCs but
> members of your NT 4.0 domain. Lot's of variables. <g>
>

> "Lisa" <Lisa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:...
> > Hi Michael,
> >
> > Thanks you for your reply. I have 5 DCs. Three of them are NT 4.0, two of
> > them are Windows 2000. NT does not have active directory, but if I install
> > adminpak on my system, I am able to use active directory in NT domain.
> >
> > Lisa
> >
> > "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Lisa,
> >>
> >> I hope you don't mind me jumping in at this point but what
> >> you are describing isn't possible unless you have two domains?
> >> A W2k or W2k3 machine cannot be a BDC in an NT 4.0 domain.
> >> W2k or higher needs the AD which isn't available in NT 4.0.

With 5 DCs, you've got plenty of backup. In theory
1 DC will handle 300 nodes but it's always best practice
to have at least 2 DCs for fault tolerance.