missing or corrupt file

Whenever I turn on my laptop windiws doesn't load it say that the following
file is missing or corrupt c:windows/system32/system. It says I can repair
it with the XP disk. I bought my laptop second hand and it did not come with
the XP disk. Is there a disk or something that you can send me to fix this
problem?
7 answers Last reply
More about missing corrupt file

    Hi

    Is this the error message you are seeing:

    "How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry That Prevents Windows XP from
    Starting"
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q307545

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    | Whenever I turn on my laptop windiws doesn't load it say that the
    following
    | file is missing or corrupt c:windows/system32/system. It says I can
    repair
    | it with the XP disk. I bought my laptop second hand and it did not come
    with
    | the XP disk. Is there a disk or something that you can send me to fix
    this
    | problem?

    Thanks Will that was what I was looking for I will try that out and see what
    it does. Thanks again!
    Steve

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Is this the error message you are seeing:
    >
    > "How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry That Prevents Windows XP from
    > Starting"
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q307545
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > | Whenever I turn on my laptop windiws doesn't load it say that the
    > following
    > | file is missing or corrupt c:windows/system32/system. It says I can
    > repair
    > | it with the XP disk. I bought my laptop second hand and it did not come
    > with
    > | the XP disk. Is there a disk or something that you can send me to fix
    > this
    > | problem?

    ok this sounds like an easy task they only problem is that I do not own a
    copy of the XP DC-ROM. I bought my computer second hand and did not receive
    a copy of the disk. Is there any way that I could obtain one??

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Is this the error message you are seeing:
    >
    > "How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry That Prevents Windows XP from
    > Starting"
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q307545
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > | Whenever I turn on my laptop windiws doesn't load it say that the
    > following
    > | file is missing or corrupt c:windows/system32/system. It says I can
    > repair
    > | it with the XP disk. I bought my laptop second hand and it did not come
    > with
    > | the XP disk. Is there a disk or something that you can send me to fix
    > this
    > | problem?

    Steve, it looks like you have a corrupt driver file. If you do not have an
    XP CD
    to reinstall it, do a Search for a directory called I386. It should be
    under the
    Windows directory. If you find one, in that directory should be a filed
    called
    Driver.cab if you have that you can reinstall from that directory. Do a
    Repair
    Install and when it asks you to insert your XP CD, select from other
    location, and
    type in the path (i.e. C:\Windows\I386\driver.cab). Open below website and
    scroll down to "How to run a Repair Install":

    Repair XP

    "Steve" wrote:

    > Whenever I turn on my laptop windiws doesn't load it say that the following
    > file is missing or corrupt c:windows/system32/system. It says I can repair
    > it with the XP disk. I bought my laptop second hand and it did not come with
    > the XP disk. Is there a disk or something that you can send me to fix this
    > problem?

    Greetings --

    How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry that Prevents Windows XP from
    Starting
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545

    Once you've recovered, you might want to look here, as well:

    How to Troubleshoot Registry Corruption Issues
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822705

    If you purchase of the laptop did not include the OS (as you
    didn't get the CD) you'll have to buy your own copy, now, in order to
    perform the necessary repairs.

    Bruce Chambers
    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    dan <dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >"Steve" wrote:
    >
    >> Whenever I turn on my laptop windiws doesn't load it say that the following
    >> file is missing or corrupt c:windows/system32/system. It says I can repair
    >> it with the XP disk. I bought my laptop second hand and it did not come with
    >> the XP disk. Is there a disk or something that you can send me to fix this
    >> problem?

    See "How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry"
    (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545).

    --
    (tm)

Laptops Windows XP