Slot mounted cooling fan?

Dean wrote:
> Drilling a hole in the case for a 120mm fan is the last resort.
> Any success with this model and does it really work?
>
> http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=77094

I love these-- the fan on my 6600 GT died and I put this one in directly
against the heatsink of my card, and it did hell of a lot better job
than the dinky little stock fan did of cooling the video card.

--
Shinnokxz - http://www.coryhansen.com

Dean

Shinnokxz wrote:

>Dean wrote:
>> Drilling a hole in the case for a 120mm fan is the last resort.
>> Any success with this model and does it really work?
>>
>> http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=77094
>>

>I love these-- the fan on my 6600 GT died and I put this one in directly
>against the heatsink of my card, and it did hell of a lot better job
>than the dinky little stock fan did of cooling the video card.

I am having serious overheating problems with my Prescott CPU and would
like to mount this fan in one of the lower slots to pull air out of the
computer.

Is the sole purpose of this fan design to only cool a video card?

Dean wrote:

> Shinnokxz wrote:
>

>>Dean wrote:
>>
>>>Drilling a hole in the case for a 120mm fan is the last resort.
>>>Any success with this model and does it really work?
>>>
>>>http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=77094
>>>

>>I love these-- the fan on my 6600 GT died and I put this one in directly
>>against the heatsink of my card, and it did hell of a lot better job
>>than the dinky little stock fan did of cooling the video card.
>

> I am having serious overheating problems with my Prescott CPU and would
> like to mount this fan in one of the lower slots to pull air out of the
> computer.
>
> Is the sole purpose of this fan design to only cool a video card?

No, but they do a relatively good job of it.

I've used a couple but, IMO, the 22CFM is, er, an exaggeration and if you
have a 'serious' overheating problem I doubt it'll move enough air to solve it.

They also don't seem to have a very long life span.