Password changing problem

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
August 17, 2005 4:46:17 AM

Hi,

I have a problem, which already appeared on this board, but I found no exact
answer, what to do...
So the issue is the following:
We have an NT4.0 domain, with 2000 member servers and client. We have a
preset password expiration day-limit, when the users should change their
passwords.
This worked perfectly untill yesterday, when a user reported, that it is not
possible for him to change, altough the changing window appeared, but after a
very long waiting it wrote out that it cannot reach the domain.
According to my knowledge nothing was changed in the configuration.

As I read the previous messages I tried the pings: with the IP it worked
perfectly, with the name worked also, but a bit slower...

So it would be just great if You could please help!

Thanx in advance,
Viktor
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 3:31:25 PM

Attempt to map to a share on the PDC first by
tcp/ip address then by name. If either fails post
the exact error. When a user attempts to change
their password and fails open a dos prompt and
run nbtstat -c, what do you see?

"Viktor" <Viktor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:.
> I have a problem, which already appeared on this board, but I found no
> exact
> answer, what to do...
> So the issue is the following:
> We have an NT4.0 domain, with 2000 member servers and client. We have a
> preset password expiration day-limit, when the users should change their
> passwords.
> This worked perfectly untill yesterday, when a user reported, that it is
> not
> possible for him to change, altough the changing window appeared, but
> after a
> very long waiting it wrote out that it cannot reach the domain.
> According to my knowledge nothing was changed in the configuration.
>
> As I read the previous messages I tried the pings: with the IP it worked
> perfectly, with the name worked also, but a bit slower...
>
> So it would be just great if You could please help!
August 18, 2005 3:28:20 AM

Thanx for the answer!

I checked the mapping: it worked both ways, without any problem...
I ran also nbtstat -c, and I see the following:

Server1(PDC) 00 UNIQUE IP-ADDRESS 2
Server2(BDC and WINS) 00 UNIQUE IP-ADDRESS 2
Server3(WINS) 00 UNIQUE IP-ADDRESS 362
Server1(PDC) 20 UNIQUE IP-ADDRESS 295
Domain-name 1B UNIQUE IP-ADDRESS(of PDC) 275
Domain-name 1C GROUP IP-ADDRESS(of PDC) 270
Server4(just a Member) 20 UNIQUE IP-ADDRESS 217

I hope it is more informative to You, than to me...

Thank You for Your answer in advance.

"Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:

> Attempt to map to a share on the PDC first by
> tcp/ip address then by name. If either fails post
> the exact error. When a user attempts to change
> their password and fails open a dos prompt and
> run nbtstat -c, what do you see?
>
> "Viktor" <Viktor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:.
> > I have a problem, which already appeared on this board, but I found no
> > exact
> > answer, what to do...
> > So the issue is the following:
> > We have an NT4.0 domain, with 2000 member servers and client. We have a
> > preset password expiration day-limit, when the users should change their
> > passwords.
> > This worked perfectly untill yesterday, when a user reported, that it is
> > not
> > possible for him to change, altough the changing window appeared, but
> > after a
> > very long waiting it wrote out that it cannot reach the domain.
> > According to my knowledge nothing was changed in the configuration.
> >
> > As I read the previous messages I tried the pings: with the IP it worked
> > perfectly, with the name worked also, but a bit slower...
> >
> > So it would be just great if You could please help!

Related resources
September 12, 2005 10:30:02 AM

"Viktor" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a problem, which already appeared on this board, but I found no exact
> answer, what to do...
> So the issue is the following:
> We have an NT4.0 domain, with 2000 member servers and client. We have a
> preset password expiration day-limit, when the users should change their
> passwords.
> This worked perfectly untill yesterday, when a user reported, that it is not
> possible for him to change, altough the changing window appeared, but after a
> very long waiting it wrote out that it cannot reach the domain.
> According to my knowledge nothing was changed in the configuration.
>
> As I read the previous messages I tried the pings: with the IP it worked
> perfectly, with the name worked also, but a bit slower...
>
> So it would be just great if You could please help!
>
> Thanx in advance,
> Viktor

Hi Viktor,

Did you manage to discover a solution to this problem? I have what seems
like the same issue and it would be really helpful to know what you did to
resolve it.

Regards,
Paul
September 13, 2005 8:33:03 AM

As a follow up, I though I would post my resolution to this issue.

I discovered that the APC PBE Agent service on both the affected servers was
stuck in a 'Starting' state. This was locking the service database, and
preventing us from accessing various service settings, and configuring the
network and TCP-IP settings on the servers.

Removing the APC PBE Agent service from these servers and rebooting them has
resolved the issue and password changes are now working as expected again.

If you have this issue, I would suggest checking the status of the services
on the PDC/BDCs for the affected domain, and uninstalling any which are not
starting correctly. If the services are required for the operation of your
systems, reinstall the latest available version from your vendor and test if
the problem reoccurs.

Regards,
Paul
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 12:21:04 PM

Yes, it tells me name resolution is correct which means something
is blocking NetBIOS or preventing the machine from setting up a secure
channel with the PDC in order to change the password. You could use
network monitor and filter the packets from the client during an attempt
to change the password. This should tell you where the packets are being
lost.

"Viktor" <Viktor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> Thanx for the answer!
>
> I checked the mapping: it worked both ways, without any problem...
> I ran also nbtstat -c, and I see the following:
>
> Server1(PDC) 00 UNIQUE IP-ADDRESS 2
> Server2(BDC and WINS) 00 UNIQUE IP-ADDRESS 2
> Server3(WINS) 00 UNIQUE IP-ADDRESS 362
> Server1(PDC) 20 UNIQUE IP-ADDRESS 295
> Domain-name 1B UNIQUE IP-ADDRESS(of PDC) 275
> Domain-name 1C GROUP IP-ADDRESS(of PDC) 270
> Server4(just a Member) 20 UNIQUE IP-ADDRESS 217
>
> I hope it is more informative to You, than to me...
>
> Thank You for Your answer in advance.
>
> "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:
>
>> Attempt to map to a share on the PDC first by
>> tcp/ip address then by name. If either fails post
>> the exact error. When a user attempts to change
>> their password and fails open a dos prompt and
>> run nbtstat -c, what do you see?
>>
>> "Viktor" <Viktor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:.
>> > I have a problem, which already appeared on this board, but I found no
>> > exact
>> > answer, what to do...
>> > So the issue is the following:
>> > We have an NT4.0 domain, with 2000 member servers and client. We have a
>> > preset password expiration day-limit, when the users should change
>> > their
>> > passwords.
>> > This worked perfectly untill yesterday, when a user reported, that it
>> > is
>> > not
>> > possible for him to change, altough the changing window appeared, but
>> > after a
>> > very long waiting it wrote out that it cannot reach the domain.
>> > According to my knowledge nothing was changed in the configuration.
>> >
>> > As I read the previous messages I tried the pings: with the IP it
>> > worked
>> > perfectly, with the name worked also, but a bit slower...
>> >
>> > So it would be just great if You could please help!

September 21, 2005 3:52:03 AM

THANK YOU Paul!!!

It worked... In fact we had this service, and it was started, but which was
a bit suspicious, the stop service button was grey, not leting to stop the
service.
I uninstalled the APC utility (it was full with stupid error messages during
the procedure) - rebooted, and it worked, as anything...

The most interesting thing is that we installed this tool more then a year
ago and till one month ago it worked perfectly... But the main thing now,
that we have the solution, for what thanks a lot again to You, Paul...

Lots of thanks,
Viktor

!