Windows does not recognise CD Drive

SUDDENLY , Windows does not recognise the CD drive ,pinned as master
on end of cable ,plugged into the secondary IDE port.
Ive checked the following

1 Drive properly pinned as master
2 Installed on the end of cable
3 Replaced with a new drive
4 Switched drives.
5 The drive are recognised in the BIOS as master and slave .
6 Installed new cable .
7 I tried booting computr with bothdrives removed ,deleting the driver
....Only one shows Then connecting drives again and rebooting .Windows
only sees the drive in the slave position.

It appears that the mother board does not see any drive in the master
position on the secondary IDE port .I built the computer about a year
ago and has worked fine till about 2 weeks ago .The mother board is a
ASUS P4P800 ,Pentium 3.0 CPU with windows WINXP PRO
Do I have a bad MB /
Am I missing something ....TIA...Flipper

jaster

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 16:26:43 -0400, OleDawg thoughtfully wrote:

> SUDDENLY , Windows does not recognise the CD drive ,pinned as master on
> end of cable ,plugged into the secondary IDE port. Ive checked the
> following
>
> 1 Drive properly pinned as master
> 2 Installed on the end of cable
> 3 Replaced with a new drive
> 4 Switched drives.
> 5 The drive are recognised in the BIOS as master and slave . 6 Installed
> new cable .
> 7 I tried booting computr with bothdrives removed ,deleting the driver
> ...Only one shows Then connecting drives again and rebooting .Windows only
> sees the drive in the slave position.
>
> It appears that the mother board does not see any drive in the master
> position on the secondary IDE port .I built the computer about a year ago
> and has worked fine till about 2 weeks ago .The mother board is a ASUS
> P4P800 ,Pentium 3.0 CPU with windows WINXP PRO Do I have a bad MB /
> Am I missing something ....TIA...Flipper

Have you defraged, spybot, virus scanned and rebooted? Try booting with the
Ultimate boot cd from
http://www.ubcd4win.com

Then see if the cd works as master or if it's just a Windows problem.
Some CDroms do die but you said you put in a new drive? I did
have a DVDrom drive that never worked with CDs just DVDs. But when I
moved it into another PC as a secondary drive neither drive worked. Even
when disabled it in bios it still caused problems. Now it's in the land
fill and I got no problems.

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 22:17:51 GMT, jaster <jaster@home.net> wrote:

>On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 16:26:43 -0400, OleDawg thoughtfully wrote:
>
>> SUDDENLY , Windows does not recognise the CD drive ,pinned as master on
>> end of cable ,plugged into the secondary IDE port. Ive checked the
>> following
>>
>> 1 Drive properly pinned as master
>> 2 Installed on the end of cable
>> 3 Replaced with a new drive
>> 4 Switched drives.
>> 5 The drive are recognised in the BIOS as master and slave . 6 Installed
>> new cable .
>> 7 I tried booting computr with bothdrives removed ,deleting the driver
>> ...Only one shows Then connecting drives again and rebooting .Windows only
>> sees the drive in the slave position.
>>
>> It appears that the mother board does not see any drive in the master
>> position on the secondary IDE port .I built the computer about a year ago
>> and has worked fine till about 2 weeks ago .The mother board is a ASUS
>> P4P800 ,Pentium 3.0 CPU with windows WINXP PRO Do I have a bad MB /
>> Am I missing something ....TIA...Flipper
>

>Have you defraged, spybot, virus scanned and rebooted? Try booting with the
>Ultimate boot cd from
> http://www.ubcd4win.com
>
>Then see if the cd works as master or if it's just a Windows problem.
>Some CDroms do die but you said you put in a new drive? I did
>have a DVDrom drive that never worked with CDs just DVDs. But when I
>moved it into another PC as a secondary drive neither drive worked. Even
>when disabled it in bios it still caused problems. Now it's in the land
>fill and I got no problems.

All 3 CD drives that I have ,work fine in the Slave pisition on the
cable and pinned as slave .None of the drives work as when pined as
master on the master (end) position on the cable .
Ive defraged all the hard drives ,.I use spybot and have scanned for
virus' .Also a registery editing scanning program .Nothing
( Hey ! Thanks for the comeback )
Im downloading the Ultimate disk programs now .
The computer with the problem is used strictly for graphics..Picture
monitoring ,some video work etc.All the programs I have on it are
related to that work.

A dry connection or a loose connection on the IDE cable is most
likely, make sure all cable connections are tight to push on, if not
use another cable they are worth nothing.

Check the cable is orientated the correct way, some don't have a lug
and have no blocked holes so they will go on either way, just
remember the #1 wire should be closest to the power connector, that
is the norm.

Make sure the jumper is still thereamd the cable is all the way home,
just messin inside the bok can bump off a cable pretty easy.

I assume the drive opens etc but is just not recognised by the PC ? if
not the drive may be at fault.

Try to push on and off the cable a few times, that may fix it
instantly if it has a loose connector replace the cable, toss it,
don't store junk.

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Have you tried putting a hard disk in the position instead of a CD drive?
Have you tried a different cable?
Rob
www.Totally-Hardware.co.uk

"OleDawg" <flipperf@optonline.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 22:17:51 GMT, jaster <jaster@home.net> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 16:26:43 -0400, OleDawg thoughtfully wrote:
>>
>>> SUDDENLY , Windows does not recognise the CD drive ,pinned as master on
>>> end of cable ,plugged into the secondary IDE port. Ive checked the
>>> following
>>>
>>> 1 Drive properly pinned as master
>>> 2 Installed on the end of cable
>>> 3 Replaced with a new drive
>>> 4 Switched drives.
>>> 5 The drive are recognised in the BIOS as master and slave . 6 Installed
>>> new cable .
>>> 7 I tried booting computr with bothdrives removed ,deleting the driver
>>> ...Only one shows Then connecting drives again and rebooting .Windows
>>> only
>>> sees the drive in the slave position.
>>>
>>> It appears that the mother board does not see any drive in the master
>>> position on the secondary IDE port .I built the computer about a year
>>> ago
>>> and has worked fine till about 2 weeks ago .The mother board is a ASUS
>>> P4P800 ,Pentium 3.0 CPU with windows WINXP PRO Do I have a bad MB /
>>> Am I missing something ....TIA...Flipper
>>

>>Have you defraged, spybot, virus scanned and rebooted? Try booting with
>>the
>>Ultimate boot cd from
>> http://www.ubcd4win.com
>>
>>Then see if the cd works as master or if it's just a Windows problem.
>>Some CDroms do die but you said you put in a new drive? I did
>>have a DVDrom drive that never worked with CDs just DVDs. But when I
>>moved it into another PC as a secondary drive neither drive worked. Even
>>when disabled it in bios it still caused problems. Now it's in the land
>>fill and I got no problems.
>
> All 3 CD drives that I have ,work fine in the Slave pisition on the
> cable and pinned as slave .None of the drives work as when pined as
> master on the master (end) position on the cable .
> Ive defraged all the hard drives ,.I use spybot and have scanned for
> virus' .Also a registery editing scanning program .Nothing
> ( Hey ! Thanks for the comeback )
> Im downloading the Ultimate disk programs now .
> The computer with the problem is used strictly for graphics..Picture
> monitoring ,some video work etc.All the programs I have on it are
> related to that work.

Ive tried ALL of the suggestions forwarded but found nothing .I also
tried a hard drive,and checked all the plugs for bent or missing pins.
I have downloaded the software for the Ultimate boot cd ,but have not
been able to create the iso file to burn .

Flipperf

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 22:17:51 GMT, jaster <jaster@home.net> wrote:

>On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 16:26:43 -0400, OleDawg thoughtfully wrote:
>
>> SUDDENLY , Windows does not recognise the CD drive ,pinned as master on
>> end of cable ,plugged into the secondary IDE port. Ive checked the
>> following
>>
>> 1 Drive properly pinned as master
>> 2 Installed on the end of cable
>> 3 Replaced with a new drive
>> 4 Switched drives.
>> 5 The drive are recognised in the BIOS as master and slave . 6 Installed
>> new cable .
>> 7 I tried booting computr with bothdrives removed ,deleting the driver
>> ...Only one shows Then connecting drives again and rebooting .Windows only
>> sees the drive in the slave position.
>>
>> It appears that the mother board does not see any drive in the master
>> position on the secondary IDE port .I built the computer about a year ago
>> and has worked fine till about 2 weeks ago .The mother board is a ASUS
>> P4P800 ,Pentium 3.0 CPU with windows WINXP PRO Do I have a bad MB /
>> Am I missing something ....TIA...Flipper
>

>Have you defraged, spybot, virus scanned and rebooted? Try booting with the
>Ultimate boot cd from
> http://www.ubcd4win.com
>
>Then see if the cd works as master or if it's just a Windows problem.
>Some CDroms do die but you said you put in a new drive? I did
>have a DVDrom drive that never worked with CDs just DVDs. But when I
>moved it into another PC as a secondary drive neither drive worked. Even
>when disabled it in bios it still caused problems. Now it's in the land
>fill and I got no problems.

Related to "noide" value in the registry.
I remember I got the same symptoms as yours and deleted the value.
Can't manage to find the reference in my directories.
I hope this will put the experts on the way.

Don't delete the value unless this has been confirmed.

2r0ej1dmhdjp4p220mr58pjbip1r9lf37s@4ax.com...

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 14:01:04 -0400, OleDawg thoughtfully wrote:

> Ive tried ALL of the suggestions forwarded but found nothing .I also tried
> a hard drive,and checked all the plugs for bent or missing pins. I have
> downloaded the software for the Ultimate boot cd ,but have not been able
> to create the iso file to burn .

Really? I thought you might be able to burn it with the CDRW as the
secondary drive.

Poster Zantafio suggested "Noide" I found something on Ahuma's
website http://aumha.org/regfiles.php#noide

Restore Missing CD Drive.

"The popular CDGONE patch. CD drives may vanish in Windows Explorer, Device
Manager, etc. if a third-party CD-burning package has been uninstalled and
Registry references for some code modules aren't removed successfully.
This patch and a reboot usually will restore the missing drives. Any third
party package still required will then have to be re-installed. For more
information on this and other possible causes, see the "Problems"
section of Alex Nichol's Burning CDs in Windows XP article."

It has a download from
http://aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip

Sounds like a possible. I know some drives are not recognized without the
driver but I thought newer IDE CD-RWs didn't need drivers.

I recommended UBCD so you could boot to another OS and see if that OS
recognized both drives correctly.

[snip]