Voice mail password

Last response: in Network Providers
August 6, 2004 1:55:08 AM

Is it possible to setup voicemail so when I call from my cell phone it does
not require me to enter my password?

SprintPCS has the feature which I miss and Cingular CS rep said I can do
this told me I had to read my manual. With Sprint it is a network feature
and not phone specific.

I have a Motorola V600.

thanks

More about : voice mail password

Anonymous
August 6, 2004 2:51:49 AM

>Is it possible to setup voicemail so when I call from my cell phone it does
>not require me to enter my password?

Sure. Go into the menu where it stores your voicemail number (look for it in
your manual if you don't know where it is). Then after the number put in 2 or 3
(you may have to experiment) pauses (p) and then your password. For my Cingular
phone it takes 2 p's. For AT&T WS, it takes 3 p's.

On Nokia phones, a "p" can be had by pressing the * key several times (3 I
think).

>I have a Motorola V600.

I'm sorry!

--
John S.
August 6, 2004 8:33:15 AM

* Reply by Jack D. Russell, Sr. <jackru$$ell2@notmail.com>
* Newsgroup: alt.cellular.cingular
* Reply to: All; "John S." <sexyexotiche@aol.comspamfree>
* Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 04:23:30 -0500
* Subj: Re: Voice mail password

>> Is it possible to setup voicemail so when I call from my cell
>> phone it does not require me to enter my password?

JS>Sure. Go into the menu where it stores your voicemail number (look
JS>for it in your manual if you don't know where it is). Then after
JS>the number put in 2 or 3 (you may have to experiment) pauses (p)
JS>and then your password. For my Cingular phone it takes 2 p's. For
JS>AT&T WS, it takes 3 p's.

JS>On Nokia phones, a "p" can be had by pressing the * key several
JS>times (3 I think).

>> I have a Motorola V600.

I never have to enter a password when checking VMail with my Moto T720.
Try this...Go into "Messages" and press the middle (Menu) button. Press
"Voicemail Setup" and enter +13179194110 for the Voicemail number. You
may need to check with Cingular for the proper number for your area if
that number doesn't work for you. I'm in Indiana and it works fine.
FYI...All I have to do is press and hold the #1 button and it
automatically connects to my VMail and plays any messages...no password
required. It was setup this way on my phone as default. Try it. Good
luck.
--
Jack
August 6, 2004 5:01:48 PM

In <2nh1isFp29uU1@uni-berlin.de> on Fri, 6 Aug 2004 04:33:15 -0500, "Jack D.
Russell, Sr." <jackru$$ell2@notmail.com> wrote:

>* Reply by Jack D. Russell, Sr. <jackru$$ell2@notmail.com>
>* Newsgroup: alt.cellular.cingular
>* Reply to: All; "John S." <sexyexotiche@aol.comspamfree>
>* Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 04:23:30 -0500
>* Subj: Re: Voice mail password
>
> >> Is it possible to setup voicemail so when I call from my cell
> >> phone it does not require me to enter my password?
>
>JS>Sure. Go into the menu where it stores your voicemail number (look
>JS>for it in your manual if you don't know where it is). Then after
>JS>the number put in 2 or 3 (you may have to experiment) pauses (p)
>JS>and then your password. For my Cingular phone it takes 2 p's. For
>JS>AT&T WS, it takes 3 p's.
>
>JS>On Nokia phones, a "p" can be had by pressing the * key several
>JS>times (3 I think).
>
> >> I have a Motorola V600.
>
>I never have to enter a password when checking VMail with my Moto T720.

Yikes! Something is broken -- it should always ask for your password as a
security measure.

August 6, 2004 5:34:02 PM

John Navas wrote:

> Yikes! Something is broken -- it should always ask for your password as a
> security measure.

I have never had to enter a password when checking voice mail from my
(Cingular) phone -- only when calling in from another phone.

--
John Miller
Email address: domain, n4vu.com; username, jsm

filibuster, n.:
Throwing your wait around.
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 5:54:13 PM

>I have never had to enter a password when checking voice mail from my
>(Cingular) phone -- only when calling in from another phone.

Your phone has the password programmed into it then. All of the systems that I
have phones on require passwords.

--
John S.
August 6, 2004 6:17:33 PM

John S. wrote:
> John Miller wrote:
>>I have never had to enter a password when checking voice mail from my
>>(Cingular) phone -- only when calling in from another phone.
>
> Your phone has the password programmed into it then. All of the systems
> that I have phones on require passwords.

While it's possible that my account is set up to allow direct dial-in, I can
assure you no password is programmed into my phone. I got a new Cingular
GSM phone Monday (my fifth BellSouth/Cingular phone, but the first on GSM,
and the first with a SIM card) and it dialed directly into my voice mail
with no setup on my part, and no intercourse with my previous (TDMA) phone.

--
John Miller
Email address: domain, n4vu.com; username, jsm

The church is near but the road is icy; the bar is far away but I will
walk carefully.
-Russian Proverb
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 6:18:54 PM

SprintPCS voicemail has an option which allows you to skip the password only
if you are calling from your cell phone. This a network feature and not
specific to the phone

"John S." <sexyexotiche@aol.comspamfree> wrote in message
> >I have never had to enter a password when checking voice mail from my
> >(Cingular) phone -- only when calling in from another phone.
> >

> Your phone has the password programmed into it then. All of the systems
that I
> have phones on require passwords.
>
> --
> John S.
> e-mail responses to - john at kiana dot net
August 6, 2004 6:18:55 PM

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 14:18:54 GMT, "DCM" <dm200NOSPAM@comcast.net>
wrote:

>SprintPCS voicemail has an option which allows you to skip the password only
>if you are calling from your cell phone. This a network feature and not
>specific to the phone

T-Mobile also has this preference choice as well. If you're calling
from the handset the default is to not ask for a password, but there
is a setting in the setup so the password is asked when dialing from
the phone. Why would anyone want password from their phone unless
they expected several people to use their phone.

>"John S." <sexyexotiche@aol.comspamfree> wrote in message
>> >I have never had to enter a password when checking voice mail from my
>> >(Cingular) phone -- only when calling in from another phone.
>> >

>> Your phone has the password programmed into it then. All of the systems
>that I
>> have phones on require passwords.
>>
>> --
>> John S.
>> e-mail responses to - john at kiana dot net

remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 9:36:29 PM

* Reply to: All; "John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com>
* Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 17:30:46 -0500
* Subj: Re: Voice mail password

>> I never have to enter a password when checking VMail with my Moto
>> T720.

JN>Yikes! Something is broken -- it should always ask for your
JN>password as a security measure.

Nope. My old plan and phones used to, but since I upgraded to my new GSM
Family plan, no password required when calling from either (2) T720. If
I access my VMail the old way (Call my number, wait for it to go to the
voicemail recording, press the # key then it asks for the password.) I
do, but not when pressing and holding the #1 key on the T720. It then
dials the VMail number and proceeds straight to the options menu. Must
be the new setup.
--
Jack
Anonymous

* Reply to: All; "John Miller" <me@privacy.net>
* Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 17:36:42 -0500
* Subj: Re: Voice mail password

JM>John Navas wrote:

>> Yikes! Something is broken -- it should always ask for your
>> password as a security measure.

JM>I have never had to enter a password when checking voice mail from
JM>my (Cingular) phone -- only when calling in from another phone.

Same here.
--
Jack
Anonymous

* Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 17:37:12 -0500
* Subj: Re: Voice mail password

>> I have never had to enter a password when checking voice mail
>> from my (Cingular) phone -- only when calling in from another
>> phone.

JS>Your phone has the password programmed into it then. All of the
JS>systems that I have phones on require passwords.

While I've come to respect your knowledge, John, How could they program
my password (only I know it) into the phone w/o my telling them what it
is? If I call from any other phone, a password is required, but not when
calling from my Cingular branded Moto T720. I've never entered my
password into the phone anywhere. Mystery, huh?
--
Jack
Anonymous

* Reply to: All; "DCM" <dm200NOSPAM@comcast.net>
* Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 17:41:50 -0500
* Subj: Re: Voice mail password

D>SprintPCS voicemail has an option which allows you to skip the
D>password only if you are calling from your cell phone. This a
D>network feature and not specific to the phone

Then obviously, Cingular offers this feature too.

--
Jack
August 6, 2004 10:08:01 PM

Jack D. Russell, Sr. wrote:
> * Reply by Jack D. Russell, Sr. <jackru$$ell2@notmail.com>
> * Newsgroup: alt.cellular.cingular
> * Reply to: All; "John S." <sexyexotiche@aol.comspamfree>
> * Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 17:37:12 -0500
> * Subj: Re: Voice mail password
>
> >> I have never had to enter a password when checking voice mail
> >> from my (Cingular) phone -- only when calling in from another
> >> phone.
>

> JS>Your phone has the password programmed into it then. All of the
> JS>systems that I have phones on require passwords.
>
> While I've come to respect your knowledge, John, How could they program
> my password (only I know it) into the phone w/o my telling them what it
> is? If I call from any other phone, a password is required, but not when
> calling from my Cingular branded Moto T720. I've never entered my
> password into the phone anywhere. Mystery, huh?
> --
> Jack

It's no mystery, it's simple... CID. Mine does it too. I suppose if
someone got hold of my phone they could ring in and listen to all the
boring drivel typically found in my message box, and with any luck, bore
them to death. <vbg>

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
"All that we do is touched with ocean, yet we remain on the shore of

* Reply to: All; "Jer" <gdunn@airmail.ten>
* Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 18:25:15 -0500
* Subj: Re: Voice mail password

>> While I've come to respect your knowledge, John, How could they
>> program my password (only I know it) into the phone w/o my telling
>> them what it is? If I call from any other phone, a password is
>> required, but not when calling from my Cingular branded Moto T720.
>> I've never entered my password into the phone anywhere. Mystery,
>> huh?

J>It's no mystery, it's simple... CID. Mine does it too. I suppose
J>if someone got hold of my phone they could ring in and listen to
J>all the boring drivel typically found in my message box, and with
J>any luck, bore them to death. <vbg>

Makes sense. Sounds good to me.

--
Jack
Anonymous

In article <2nifnoF1b5t4U1@uni-berlin.de>,
"Jack D. Russell, Sr." <jackru$$ell2@notmail.com> wrote:

> * Reply by Jack D. Russell, Sr. <jackru$$ell2@notmail.com>
> * Newsgroup: alt.cellular.cingular
> * Reply to: All; "John S." <sexyexotiche@aol.comspamfree>
> * Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 17:37:12 -0500
> * Subj: Re: Voice mail password
>
> >> I have never had to enter a password when checking voice mail
> >> from my (Cingular) phone -- only when calling in from another
> >> phone.
>

> JS>Your phone has the password programmed into it then. All of the
> JS>systems that I have phones on require passwords.
>
> While I've come to respect your knowledge, John, How could they program
> my password (only I know it) into the phone w/o my telling them what it
> is? If I call from any other phone, a password is required, but not when
> calling from my Cingular branded Moto T720. I've never entered my
> password into the phone anywhere. Mystery, huh?
> --
> Jack

Are you claiming John Navas is incorrect? Are you calling him a LIAR?

Beware! He'll <gasp!> REPORT YOU TO YOUR ISP!
Anonymous
August 7, 2004 5:28:49 AM

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 21:55:08 GMT, "DCM" <dm200NOSPAM@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Is it possible to setup voicemail so when I call from my cell phone it does
>not require me to enter my password?
>
>SprintPCS has the feature which I miss and Cingular CS rep said I can do
>this told me I had to read my manual. With Sprint it is a network feature
>and not phone specific.
>
>I have a Motorola V600.
>
>thanks

Cingular still has several different voice mail systems nationwide -
Octel, Aspen, etc. Remember, Cingular is a conglomeration (some would
say a cluster****) of several different cell companies.

Some will let you go directly into your voice mail, from your cell
phone, without a password prompting you - and some will not.

I know that here in Houston it is not an option. Sprint has the
feature, as does Nextel and T-Mobile (have to turn this "setting" on
in the voice mail box).
Anonymous
August 9, 2004 12:38:33 AM

>Mystery, huh?

Is to me!

My wife and son both have Cingular and they had to program their password into
their phone.

Come to think of it, my company recently gave me a 6340i and I set up voicemail
and entered a password but can't remember that I programmed it into the
phone...... I'll have to check!

--
John S.
August 9, 2004 1:00:30 AM

John S. wrote:
> Is to me!
>
> My wife and son both have Cingular and they had to program their password
> into their phone.

Are you sure that it lives within their phones rather than in the voicemail
system itself?

The test would be whether, after replacing a phone with a new one, a
password is again required, or you can get straight in when dialing voice
mail from the phone.

--
John Miller
Email address: domain, n4vu.com; username, jsm

I am not an Economist. I am an honest man!
-Paul McCracken
August 9, 2004 1:00:31 AM

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 21:00:30 GMT, John Miller <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>John S. wrote:
>> Is to me!
>>
>> My wife and son both have Cingular and they had to program their password
>> into their phone.
>
>Are you sure that it lives within their phones rather than in the voicemail
>system itself?
>
>The test would be whether, after replacing a phone with a new one, a
>password is again required, or you can get straight in when dialing voice
>mail from the phone.

It doesn't "live" in the phone. It's the setup that the phone
encounters when it calls the voicemail number. The network recognizes
the phone.

remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
Anonymous
August 9, 2004 8:52:53 AM

* Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 04:46:11 -0500 GMT
* Subj: Re: Voice mail password

>>Mystery, huh?

JS>Is to me!

JS>My wife and son both have Cingular and they had to program their
JS>password into their phone.

JS>Come to think of it, my company recently gave me a 6340i and I
JS>set up voicemail and entered a password but can't remember that I
JS>programmed it into the phone...... I'll have to check!

No place on my T720 to even enter a vmail password. Vmail setup only has
a place to enter the vmail number (already entered) I provided in my
first reply here. #1 speed dial is pre-programmed to automatically dial
vmail and I'm in the system, no password needed. I tried to change it to
another button so I could use #1 for something else, but it must be
hardwired into vmail somehow because it wouldn't let me change it. Go
figure.
--
Jack
Anonymous

Maybe this option varies by region. Anyone in the boston area able to set
this up? If so how, CS rep I spoke to did know how to do this

thanks

"Jack D. Russell, Sr." <jackru$$ell2@notmail.com> wrote in message
> * Reply by Jack D. Russell, Sr. <jackru$$ell2@notmail.com>
> * Newsgroup: alt.cellular.cingular
> * Reply to: All; "DCM" <dm200NOSPAM@comcast.net>
> * Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 17:41:50 -0500
> * Subj: Re: Voice mail password
>
> D>SprintPCS voicemail has an option which allows you to skip the
> D>password only if you are calling from your cell phone. This a
> D>network feature and not specific to the phone
>
> Then obviously, Cingular offers this feature too.
>

> --
> Jack
Anonymous
August 9, 2004 7:18:35 PM

>Are you sure that it lives within their phones rather than in the voicemail
>system itself?

Yes I am sure of this.

--
John S.
August 9, 2004 8:06:10 PM

"DCM" <dm200NOSPAM@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Maybe this option varies by region. Anyone in the boston area able to set
> this up? If so how, CS rep I spoke to did know how to do this
>
> thanks

I think it must be, I am in Seattle, and I do not have this option.
I must put my password in each time, and the system won't even
let me acsess my voice mail from a phone other than my cell.

I left my phone on the dresser on AM last week, and the reps
kept telling me to hit star or pound after calling my phone number,
but the system would only let me LEAVE a message. I could not
get into the voicemail menus at all.
Anonymous
August 9, 2004 8:12:51 PM

Bernard Farquart wrote:
> I left my phone on the dresser on AM last week, and the reps
> kept telling me to hit star or pound after calling my phone number,
> but the system would only let me LEAVE a message. I could not
> get into the voicemail menus at all.

It is necessary to hit star *during* the voice mail announcement.

--
John Miller
Email address: domain, n4vu.com; username, jsm

"You can't teach people to be lazy - either they have it, or they don't."
-Dagwood Bumstead
Anonymous
August 9, 2004 9:00:29 PM

* Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 16:46:49 -0500 GMT
* Subj: Re: Re: Voice mail password

JM>Bernard Farquart wrote:
>> I left my phone on the dresser on AM last week, and the reps kept
>> telling me to hit star or pound after calling my phone number, but
>> the system would only let me LEAVE a message. I could not get into
>> the voicemail menus at all.

JM>It is necessary to hit star *during* the voice mail announcement.

More confusion then. If I call my cell number from another phone
(Landline or other mobile) I wait for the voicemail recording to begin,
then press the # key. The voicemail recording then asks for my password
and after entering the password I hear the menu options for accessing my
messages. I can even call my cell number via my cell and when the "Your
call has been forwarded to a , blah, blah, blah system" recording begins
I press the # key and it then says "Please enter your password" and
after doing so I get the menus to access. Only when calling the
voicemail number (+13179194110) or pressing and holding the 1 key until
it beeps and Vmail answers am I connected to my voicemail with no
password asked for or required. Waters muddied enough yet? ;)
--
Jack
Anonymous

Jack D. Russell, Sr. wrote:
> More confusion then. If I call my cell number from another phone
> (Landline or other mobile) I wait for the voicemail recording to begin,
> then press the # key. The voicemail recording then asks for my password
> and after entering the password I hear the menu options for accessing my
> messages. I can even call my cell number via my cell and when the "Your
> call has been forwarded to a , blah, blah, blah system" recording begins
> I press the # key and it then says "Please enter your password" and
> after doing so I get the menus to access. Only when calling the
> voicemail number (+13179194110) or pressing and holding the 1 key until
> it beeps and Vmail answers am I connected to my voicemail with no
> password asked for or required. Waters muddied enough yet? ;)

Jack, I didn't see anything unexpected in there. If you were talking about
hitting pound vs. star, I think they may be interchangeable in that
context.

--
John Miller
Email address: domain, n4vu.com; username, jsm

A man who keeps stealing mopeds is an obvious cycle-path.
Anonymous
August 10, 2004 9:30:01 AM

* Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 05:19:11 -0500 GMT
* Subj: Re: Voice mail password

JM>Jack, I didn't see anything unexpected in there. If you were
JM>talking about hitting pound vs. star, I think they may be
JM>interchangeable in that context.

You're absolutely correct. I just tried pressing the * instead of # and
the results were the same. I also checked the Cingular Voicemail http://www.cingular.com/customer_service/voicemail_a
page and the instructions for Indiana now say to press the * instead of
the # key.
They now list separate instructions for accessing voicemail via your
wireless and via another phone. Since they do ask which state you're in
when accessing Vmail instructions, that leads me to believe that the no
password option must indeed be area specific.

--
Jack
!