hard drive

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
September 26, 2005 12:20:04 PM

are western digital hard drives reliable, i know most drives are more
reliable than ibm and generics just want to see if they are reliable

--
da da da da dooo dooo

More about : hard drive

September 26, 2005 12:20:05 PM

The only drives I've had good luck with are Seagates. The one I'm using now
and one I just pulled recently, were installed in 1998.

I've had 3 wd drives and 2 of them showed problems after 1.5 years. The
third one, I just bought and installed.

The first wd drive I had, I moved 'my documents', etc. to it and one day,
winblows could not boot into administrator because the files it needed were
corrupt.

The second drive started to get smart errors from the bios, which were
actually 'drive self test' errors. When I ran the wd utility, I got a 'too
many bad sectors' error.

Tired of this, I bought SpinRite and ran it on all 3 drives. No errors, no
problems, etc. The only drawback is SpinRite takes about 12 hours per drive
to do its work.

-g
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 26, 2005 1:02:06 PM

this spinrite, does it work on click of death thingy?

--
live long and prosper
"Gilbert" <nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message
> The only drives I've had good luck with are Seagates. The one I'm using
> now
> and one I just pulled recently, were installed in 1998.
>
> I've had 3 wd drives and 2 of them showed problems after 1.5 years. The
> third one, I just bought and installed.
>
> The first wd drive I had, I moved 'my documents', etc. to it and one day,
> winblows could not boot into administrator because the files it needed
> were
> corrupt.
>
> The second drive started to get smart errors from the bios, which were
> actually 'drive self test' errors. When I ran the wd utility, I got a
> 'too
> many bad sectors' error.
>
> Tired of this, I bought SpinRite and ran it on all 3 drives. No errors,
> no
> problems, etc. The only drawback is SpinRite takes about 12 hours per
> drive
> to do its work.
>
> -g

a b B Homebuilt system
September 26, 2005 6:37:30 PM

"Squibbly" <anti spam.com> wrote:

> are western digital hard drives reliable, i know most drives are
> more reliable than ibm

Do you really.

> and generics just want to see if they are reliable

You get what you pay for.

> --
> da da da da dooo dooo

Exactly

> From: "Squibbly" <anti spam.com>
> Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
> Subject: hard drive
> Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 08:20:04 +0100

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 26, 2005 7:59:44 PM

I have ALWAYS used WD's for many years and have always been very satisfied
with them.

--
DaveW
__________

"Squibbly" <anti@spam.com> wrote in message
> are western digital hard drives reliable, i know most drives are more
> reliable than ibm and generics just want to see if they are reliable
>

> --
> da da da da dooo dooo

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 26, 2005 11:05:29 PM

> this spinrite, does it work on click of death thingy?
>
>Snip
If you mean 'click of death' on Zip diskettes, yes. www.grc.com has a
lot if info on zip drives. If you mean, as in hard drives 'clicking' when
dying, it cannot fix a broken drive, but it will give you a chance to
recover lost data while the drive still functions.
Mike.
September 27, 2005 8:16:16 AM

[...]

September 27, 2005 11:29:41 AM

u told us that earlier

--
> The only drives I've had good luck with are Seagates. The one I'm using
> now
> and one I just pulled recently, were installed in 1998.
>
> I've had 3 wd drives and 2 of them showed problems after 1.5 years. The
> third one, I just bought and installed.
>
> The first wd drive I had, I moved 'my documents', etc. to it and one day,
> winblows could not boot into administrator because the files it needed
> were
> corrupt.
>
> The second drive started to get smart errors from the bios, which were
> actually 'drive self test' errors. When I ran the wd utility, I got a
> 'too
> many bad sectors' error.
>
> Tired of this, I bought SpinRite and ran it on all 3 drives. No errors,
> no
> problems, etc. The only drawback is SpinRite takes about 12 hours per
> drive
> to do its work.
>
> -g

September 27, 2005 11:29:42 AM

Every once in a while, posted messages do not show up on the earthlink
server. When I checked several days later, it was not there . . .

-g
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 29, 2005 9:50:57 AM

I wrote:
> I saw an IBM Deskstar 120GXP 60GB HDD dirt cheap

It failed yesterday. I heard some noises in the case in the last few
days but did not realize it was the disk.

Oh well. I have to buy a replacement disk, so this is a good
opportunity to try my own advice about the 10,000 RPM hard disk drives,
for gaming. I'm confident they will significantly improve gaming
performance. The reviews on NewEgg suggest so. I definitely do not need
a gob of hard disk space, but the current 10 GB backup disk I am using
is pretty small. Maybe I will go for the 74 GB model, but my mainboard
supports only the SATA 150 transfer rate.

I'm also considering two less expensive SATA hard disk drives in a RAID
configuration, my mainboard has a built-in SATA controller, wouldn't
that greatly increase hard disk speed?
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 29, 2005 10:34:35 PM

I use them ofthen since I build computers and repair them.

I find them as good as seagates and maxtors, but the really good ones
are Quantums.

Watch for the speed. If you are getting a new one, better a 7200rpm
than 5400 rpm if you are going to use XP OS.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 30, 2005 2:33:25 AM

John is 100% correct the GXP versions were the bad ones but having
given the company such a bad name no logical thinking man/woman would
buy another.

They were lucky to last 6 months, never would they last a day longer
than the 12 mth warranty, then they would die very quickly, IE from
noise to system warning that hard drive C: failure was only several
hours.

FYI, I owned 2, both died within a year, the second was the
replacement for the first, I switched over to the WD-JBversion drives
which are still a good buy.
!