hard drive

are western digital hard drives reliable, i know most drives are more
reliable than ibm and generics just want to see if they are reliable

--
da da da da dooo dooo
11 answers Last reply

    The only drives I've had good luck with are Seagates. The one I'm using now
    and one I just pulled recently, were installed in 1998.

    I've had 3 wd drives and 2 of them showed problems after 1.5 years. The
    third one, I just bought and installed.

    The first wd drive I had, I moved 'my documents', etc. to it and one day,
    winblows could not boot into administrator because the files it needed were
    corrupt.

    The second drive started to get smart errors from the bios, which were
    actually 'drive self test' errors. When I ran the wd utility, I got a 'too
    many bad sectors' error.

    Tired of this, I bought SpinRite and ran it on all 3 drives. No errors, no
    problems, etc. The only drawback is SpinRite takes about 12 hours per drive
    to do its work.

    -g

    this spinrite, does it work on click of death thingy?

    --
    live long and prosper

    "Squibbly" <anti spam.com> wrote:

    > are western digital hard drives reliable, i know most drives are
    > more reliable than ibm

    Do you really.

    > and generics just want to see if they are reliable

    You get what you pay for.

    > --
    > da da da da dooo dooo

    Exactly

    > From: "Squibbly" <anti spam.com>
    > Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
    > Subject: hard drive
    > Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 08:20:04 +0100

    I have ALWAYS used WD's for many years and have always been very satisfied
    with them.

    --
    DaveW
    __________

    > this spinrite, does it work on click of death thingy?
    >
    >Snip
    If you mean 'click of death' on Zip diskettes, yes. www.grc.com has a
    lot if info on zip drives. If you mean, as in hard drives 'clicking' when
    dying, it cannot fix a broken drive, but it will give you a chance to
    recover lost data while the drive still functions.
    Mike.

    The only drives I've had good luck with are Seagates. The one I'm using now
    and one I just pulled recently, were installed in 1998.

    I've had 3 wd drives and 2 of them showed problems after 1.5 years. The
    third one, I just bought and installed.

    The first wd drive I had, I moved 'my documents', etc. to it and one day,
    winblows could not boot into administrator because the files it needed were
    corrupt.

    The second drive started to get smart errors from the bios, which were
    actually 'drive self test' errors. When I ran the wd utility, I got a 'too
    many bad sectors' error.

    Tired of this, I bought SpinRite and ran it on all 3 drives. No errors, no
    problems, etc. The only drawback is SpinRite takes about 12 hours per drive
    to do its work.

    -g

    u told us that earlier

    --
    > The only drives I've had good luck with are Seagates. The one I'm using
    > now
    > and one I just pulled recently, were installed in 1998.
    >
    > I've had 3 wd drives and 2 of them showed problems after 1.5 years. The
    > third one, I just bought and installed.
    >
    > The first wd drive I had, I moved 'my documents', etc. to it and one day,
    > winblows could not boot into administrator because the files it needed
    > were
    > corrupt.
    >
    > The second drive started to get smart errors from the bios, which were
    > actually 'drive self test' errors. When I ran the wd utility, I got a
    > 'too
    > many bad sectors' error.
    >
    > Tired of this, I bought SpinRite and ran it on all 3 drives. No errors,
    > no
    > problems, etc. The only drawback is SpinRite takes about 12 hours per
    > drive
    > to do its work.
    >
    > -g

    Every once in a while, posted messages do not show up on the earthlink
    server. When I checked several days later, it was not there . . .

    -g

    I wrote:
    > I saw an IBM Deskstar 120GXP 60GB HDD dirt cheap

    It failed yesterday. I heard some noises in the case in the last few
    days but did not realize it was the disk.

    Oh well. I have to buy a replacement disk, so this is a good
    opportunity to try my own advice about the 10,000 RPM hard disk drives,
    for gaming. I'm confident they will significantly improve gaming
    performance. The reviews on NewEgg suggest so. I definitely do not need
    a gob of hard disk space, but the current 10 GB backup disk I am using
    is pretty small. Maybe I will go for the 74 GB model, but my mainboard
    supports only the SATA 150 transfer rate.

    I'm also considering two less expensive SATA hard disk drives in a RAID
    configuration, my mainboard has a built-in SATA controller, wouldn't
    that greatly increase hard disk speed?

    I use them ofthen since I build computers and repair them.

    I find them as good as seagates and maxtors, but the really good ones
    are Quantums.

    Watch for the speed. If you are getting a new one, better a 7200rpm
    than 5400 rpm if you are going to use XP OS.

    John is 100% correct the GXP versions were the bad ones but having
    given the company such a bad name no logical thinking man/woman would
    buy another.

    They were lucky to last 6 months, never would they last a day longer
    than the 12 mth warranty, then they would die very quickly, IE from
    noise to system warning that hard drive C: failure was only several
    hours.

    FYI, I owned 2, both died within a year, the second was the
    replacement for the first, I switched over to the WD-JBversion drives
    which are still a good buy.

Homebuilt Hardware Western Digital Hard Drives Systems