Problem creating shortcuts

To add a desktop shortcut, normally I would right-click the desktop, point
to New, and then click Shortcut. I would then type the path or browse to
look for the file name. However, on my computer, this dialog no longer
appears for some unknown reason. Right click > New > Shortcut just creates a
shortcut named New Shorcut. The dialog asking me to "Type the location of
the item" never appears so I can't create the shortcut. How do I correct
this?

---

Byte

Leftclick to highlight, then rightclick the file/click "Send to"/click
"Desktop (Create
shortcut)"