can't find shared printer

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

SEt up a 2 PC home network via router. Can't sucessfully share the
printer - could Zone Alarm be interfering? Appreciate any tips on sharing
the printer form one who has successfully done it. Tho the instructions ont
he netwrk wet up wizard seem pretty simple, I ain't successful
thx

jad

"Bob" <angels4mike@wavecable.com> wrote in message
> SEt up a 2 PC home network via router. Can't sucessfully share the
> printer - could Zone Alarm be interfering? Appreciate any tips on sharing
> the printer form one who has successfully done it. Tho the instructions
> ont he netwrk wet up wizard seem pretty simple, I ain't successful
> thx
what OS?

set ZA for home network and enable file and printer sharing / also in XPs
firewall settings
make sure your printer name in less than 8 characters
make sure you have actually shared it (right click-sharing) from the printer
control app

jaster

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 20:45:28 -0700, Bob thoughtfully wrote:

> SEt up a 2 PC home network via router. Can't sucessfully share the
> printer - could Zone Alarm be interfering? Appreciate any tips on sharing
> the printer form one who has successfully done it. Tho the instructions
> ont he netwrk wet up wizard seem pretty simple, I ain't successful thx

It could be simple.
1) How are these shared? through WinXP as shared printers or network
print sharing device?

If you are using WinXP shared printers. Then you right-click for
properties and set up the printers as shared printers.

Then on the client machines you add a printer, selecting network printer.
then \\192.168.x.x\share_name_on_xp

and the WinXP client will ask for username and password and attempt to
install print drivers for the networked printers.

If you have a hosts file
(c:\windows\system\hosts I think)

then you can \\Winxp_name\share_name_on_xp

Found a link for you google "printer sharing"

jaster

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 20:45:28 -0700, Bob thoughtfully wrote:

> SEt up a 2 PC home network via router. Can't sucessfully share the
> printer - could Zone Alarm be interfering? Appreciate any tips on sharing
> the printer form one who has successfully done it. Tho the instructions
> ont he netwrk wet up wizard seem pretty simple, I ain't successful thx

BTW it could be if ZA is blocking netbios otherwise your internal network
192.168.x.x should be open. Disable ZA and see but last time I used ZA
I didn't have any printer share problems.