TCP/IP Urgent Help

Dear All,

I have here my network consist of 2 seperate locations at all , the first
one is our head office and it has 50 users in side it .

the second locations is farway from us and there is no any connection at all
between them, they are about 60 users .

each locations is working with this subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and the
IP-Address is 192.168.1.X .

all the 2 locations are under workgroup name it with ( GROUP1).

Now the situation is changed littile bit , we will have wireless and we will
coneect to them in the same subnet .

My question is , i do not know should i make each company to be separeat
subnet and connect between them using router , or there is no any Problems by
leaving it like that , all of them is under one subnet ?

But if i left them under one subnet , what about the broadcast, i will have
delay is that correct ?

2- why iam making 2 subnets, and connect between them by router , as long as
before router they will be able to see each other , and after router they
will be able to see each other as well , so why i am using 2 subnet , is that
because of Broadcast, if so, and if i made each company to work with its
subnet, do you think i will have seperate broadcast domain ?

Can any one please update and help me , as long as i am still new to it ?

ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

Think of it this way:

In your city there are two streets named Main St. and both have an address
of 123: 123 Main St.

A letter arrives at the post office destined for 123 Main St. How does the
post office know which one to go to?

If both locations use the same IP address space, traffic from one location
to the other will never get there because it will be assumed to be a local
address, which it is.

You really should change them both to something much different, like
192.168.135.x and 192.168.235.x. If you are going to use wireless, most
wireless routers will also assign an IP address of 192.168.1.x or maybe
192.168.0.x to the wireless clients. Once again, the traffic won't go where
it's supposed to. If you change both locations to something significantly
different, then you won't have this problem.

Hope this helps,

Ray

"Medo_in_Egypt" <MedoinEgypt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Dear All,
>
> I have here my network consist of 2 seperate locations at all , the first
> one is our head office and it has 50 users in side it .
>
> the second locations is farway from us and there is no any connection at
all
> between them, they are about 60 users .
>
> each locations is working with this subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and the
> IP-Address is 192.168.1.X .
>
> all the 2 locations are under workgroup name it with ( GROUP1).
>
> Now the situation is changed littile bit , we will have wireless and we
will
> coneect to them in the same subnet .
>
> My question is , i do not know should i make each company to be separeat
> subnet and connect between them using router , or there is no any Problems
by
> leaving it like that , all of them is under one subnet ?
>
> But if i left them under one subnet , what about the broadcast, i will
have
> delay is that correct ?
>
> 2- why iam making 2 subnets, and connect between them by router , as long
as
> before router they will be able to see each other , and after router they
> will be able to see each other as well , so why i am using 2 subnet , is
that
> because of Broadcast, if so, and if i made each company to work with its
> subnet, do you think i will have seperate broadcast domain ?
>
> Can any one please update and help me , as long as i am still new to it ?

Thanks man for your great discribe ;

i really appritiate your help & your support.

But i want to clear some points from my mind .

1. we are using wireless to work as bridge , that is it so its not at all
doing any thing else at all, its only forward the backet.

2. what i understood that , now i am have a broadcast in the Network, i am
correct ?

3- The situation now is, all the 2 Locations are in the same subnet and all
of them is under this subnet ( 80.0.0.X / 255.255.255.0 ), so my question is,
is there any software or Network management software i can i nstall and see
the size of the broadcast in my network, so i can make sure after make routed
network , there is no any Broadcast travel over the wireless network.

4- before i do any thing and divide them by router, what is the relation
with WINS & DNS, should i enable DNS & Wins in each site , if so, this will
be the first step in the network to configure the WINS Clients to NOT to use
any Broadcast at all , then to use dns, then to have router, so how can i
enable the clients of WINS in there registry to not use the broadcast at all,
can you help me Please ?

many thanks for your Help ,

Medo

"Ray" wrote:

> Think of it this way:
>
> In your city there are two streets named Main St. and both have an address
> of 123: 123 Main St.
>
> A letter arrives at the post office destined for 123 Main St. How does the
> post office know which one to go to?
>
> If both locations use the same IP address space, traffic from one location
> to the other will never get there because it will be assumed to be a local
> address, which it is.
>
> You really should change them both to something much different, like
> 192.168.135.x and 192.168.235.x. If you are going to use wireless, most
> wireless routers will also assign an IP address of 192.168.1.x or maybe
> 192.168.0.x to the wireless clients. Once again, the traffic won't go where
> it's supposed to. If you change both locations to something significantly
> different, then you won't have this problem.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Ray
>
> "Medo_in_Egypt" <MedoinEgypt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Dear All,
> >
> > I have here my network consist of 2 seperate locations at all , the first
> > one is our head office and it has 50 users in side it .
> >
> > the second locations is farway from us and there is no any connection at
> all
> > between them, they are about 60 users .
> >
> > each locations is working with this subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and the
> > IP-Address is 192.168.1.X .
> >
> > all the 2 locations are under workgroup name it with ( GROUP1).
> >
> > Now the situation is changed littile bit , we will have wireless and we
> will
> > coneect to them in the same subnet .
> >
> > My question is , i do not know should i make each company to be separeat
> > subnet and connect between them using router , or there is no any Problems
> by
> > leaving it like that , all of them is under one subnet ?
> >
> > But if i left them under one subnet , what about the broadcast, i will
> have
> > delay is that correct ?
> >
> > 2- why iam making 2 subnets, and connect between them by router , as long
> as
> > before router they will be able to see each other , and after router they
> > will be able to see each other as well , so why i am using 2 subnet , is
> that
> > because of Broadcast, if so, and if i made each company to work with its
> > subnet, do you think i will have seperate broadcast domain ?
> >
> > Can any one please update and help me , as long as i am still new to it ?

Sounds like you are merging the two locations to the one main
site? If so then you don't need a router at all, put them on the
same subnet. You are talking 60 users at best.

If not then how exactly are you going to connect the two sites?
You mentioned wireless but left out quite a few details. Care
to elaborate?