Tray icon boot order - network icon taking ages to initial..

Any suggestions as to how to reconfigure the order that tray icons load
under Windows XP Home? I've just built a new high-spec PC which is
otherwise working beautifully, but one oddity is that the network/internet
connection takes ages to appear in the system tray (as much as a minute
after the other icons). My previous PC and my laptopp both get internet
connectivity up and running quite early in the boot sequence (all of them
are connected to the same ethernet hub, which in turn has the cable modem
attached). However, on my new machine, several tray applications (e.g.
windows messanger) just sit around trying to connect until the network icon
finally appears - one even times out and gives up on the net, and I have to
manually connect it afterwards.

Any thoughts on how to speed this up?

Andre
--
Andre Willey

Address edited to avoid spam. Please remove the letters shown in CAPITALS
from my quoted email address to contact me directly. Thanks!
Visit http://www.cix.co.uk/~neverland/dlp/ for the Disneyland-Paris FAQ
List.

Andre Willey wrote:
> Any suggestions as to how to reconfigure the order that tray icons load
> under Windows XP Home? I've just built a new high-spec PC which is
> otherwise working beautifully, but one oddity is that the network/internet
> connection takes ages to appear in the system tray (as much as a minute
> after the other icons). My previous PC and my laptopp both get internet
> connectivity up and running quite early in the boot sequence (all of them
> are connected to the same ethernet hub, which in turn has the cable modem
> attached). However, on my new machine, several tray applications (e.g.
> windows messanger) just sit around trying to connect until the network icon
> finally appears - one even times out and gives up on the net, and I have to
> manually connect it afterwards.
>
> Any thoughts on how to speed this up?
>
> Andre

It isn't the 'order' of things as XP will try to get an internet connection
early just like the others but something is delaying it, probably causing
it to wait for a timeout.

Who is it supposed to get it's IP address from?

David Maynard <nospam@private.net> wrote in

> Andre Willey wrote:
>> Any suggestions as to how to reconfigure the order that tray icons
>> load under Windows XP Home? I've just built a new high-spec PC which
>> is otherwise working beautifully, but one oddity is that the
>> network/internet connection takes ages to appear in the system tray
>> (as much as a minute after the other icons). My previous PC and my
>> laptopp both get internet connectivity up and running quite early in
>> the boot sequence (all of them are connected to the same ethernet
>> hub, which in turn has the cable modem attached). However, on my new
>> machine, several tray applications (e.g. windows messanger) just sit
>> around trying to connect until the network icon finally appears - one
>> even times out and gives up on the net, and I have to manually
>> connect it afterwards.
>>
>> Any thoughts on how to speed this up?
>>
>> Andre
>
> It isn't the 'order' of things as XP will try to get an internet
> connection early just like the others but something is delaying it,
> probably causing it to wait for a timeout.

Yes, I thought net connection was an early task too - it certainly is on
my WinXP laptop and another WinXP PC connected to the same Netgear 4-port
ethernet hub/firewall.

> Who is it supposed to get it's IP address from?

It's all set to automatic, just like the other PCs are. I've checked and
the internet connection setting are identical.

I've tried uninstalling the network driver and letting XP redetect it
next time, but no progress. I still get a very a long delay after all the
other tray icons have installed (several of which are waiting for their
network connections) before a sudden burst of HD activity as several
processes kick in - I can see stuff starting if I open the Windows Task
Manager Processes tab. Then the Local Area Connection icon pops up in the
systray and it connects fine.

At the moment I guess the most serious side effect is that it stops
Norton Anti-virus from enabling auto-protect mode, I have to do it
manually via the systray icon (although it might activate on its own
after a while when the net connection starts, not left it long enough
yet).

Kind Regards,

Andre
--
Andre Willey

Address edited to avoid spam. Please remove the letters shown in CAPITALS
from my quoted email address to contact me directly. Thanks!
Visit http://www.cix.co.uk/~neverland/dlp/ for the Disneyland-Paris FAQ
List.

jad

"Andre Willey" <andre@cixREMOVECAPS.co.uk> wrote in message
> David Maynard <nospam@private.net> wrote in
>
> > Andre Willey wrote:
> >> Any suggestions as to how to reconfigure the order that tray icons
> >> load under Windows XP Home? I've just built a new high-spec PC which
> >> is otherwise working beautifully, but one oddity is that the
> >> network/internet connection takes ages to appear in the system tray
> >> (as much as a minute after the other icons). My previous PC and my
> >> laptopp both get internet connectivity up and running quite early in
> >> the boot sequence (all of them are connected to the same ethernet
> >> hub, which in turn has the cable modem attached). However, on my new
> >> machine, several tray applications (e.g. windows messanger) just sit
> >> around trying to connect until the network icon finally appears - one
> >> even times out and gives up on the net, and I have to manually
> >> connect it afterwards.
> >>
> >> Any thoughts on how to speed this up?
> >>
> >> Andre
> >
> > It isn't the 'order' of things as XP will try to get an internet
> > connection early just like the others but something is delaying it,
> > probably causing it to wait for a timeout.
>
> Yes, I thought net connection was an early task too - it certainly is on
> my WinXP laptop and another WinXP PC connected to the same Netgear 4-port
> ethernet hub/firewall.
>
> > Who is it supposed to get it's IP address from?
>
> It's all set to automatic, just like the other PCs are. I've checked and
> the internet connection setting are identical.
>
> I've tried uninstalling the network driver and letting XP redetect it
> next time, but no progress. I still get a very a long delay after all the
> other tray icons have installed (several of which are waiting for their
> network connections) before a sudden burst of HD activity as several
> processes kick in - I can see stuff starting if I open the Windows Task
> Manager Processes tab. Then the Local Area Connection icon pops up in the
> systray and it connects fine.
>
> At the moment I guess the most serious side effect is that it stops
> Norton Anti-virus from enabling auto-protect mode, I have to do it
> manually via the systray icon (although it might activate on its own
> after a while when the net connection starts, not left it long enough
> yet).
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Andre
> --

a few suggestions.......

switch cables

reroute cables away from electrical outlets power strips etc

don't use LONG cables for a short distance

check to see what port in the 'hub' that machine is on.

(or did you mean router/or the 'router' is built into the modem?)

most hubs have an uplink port that is shared with one of the 'normal' ports

don't use the port next to the uplink

Andre Willey wrote:
> David Maynard <nospam@private.net> wrote in
>

>>Andre Willey wrote:
>>
>>>Any suggestions as to how to reconfigure the order that tray icons
>>>load under Windows XP Home? I've just built a new high-spec PC which
>>>is otherwise working beautifully, but one oddity is that the
>>>network/internet connection takes ages to appear in the system tray
>>>(as much as a minute after the other icons). My previous PC and my
>>>laptopp both get internet connectivity up and running quite early in
>>>the boot sequence (all of them are connected to the same ethernet
>>>hub, which in turn has the cable modem attached). However, on my new
>>>machine, several tray applications (e.g. windows messanger) just sit
>>>around trying to connect until the network icon finally appears - one
>>>even times out and gives up on the net, and I have to manually
>>>connect it afterwards.
>>>
>>>Any thoughts on how to speed this up?
>>>
>>>Andre
>>
>>It isn't the 'order' of things as XP will try to get an internet
>>connection early just like the others but something is delaying it,
>>probably causing it to wait for a timeout.
>

> Yes, I thought net connection was an early task too - it certainly is on
> my WinXP laptop and another WinXP PC connected to the same Netgear 4-port
> ethernet hub/firewall.

Are they XP Home too, or Pro?

And is that Netgear a hub or a router?

>>Who is it supposed to get it's IP address from?
>

> It's all set to automatic, just like the other PCs are.

That doesn't answer where the IP is coming from, though, and maybe there is
some reason why 2 work and 3 don't, as fast anyway.

> I've checked and
> the internet connection setting are identical.

Which 'internet settings'? You mean the NIC port? What about the machine ID
and domain/workgroup settings?

You also haven't said which ISP. Is it trying to logon to the ISP with the
same ID as the other machines? Do they allow three machines?

"David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in message
> Andre Willey wrote:
>> Any suggestions as to how to reconfigure the order that tray icons load
>> under Windows XP Home? I've just built a new high-spec PC which is
>> otherwise working beautifully, but one oddity is that the
>> network/internet connection takes ages to appear in the system tray (as
>> much as a minute after the other icons). My previous PC and my laptopp
>> both get internet connectivity up and running quite early in the boot
>> sequence (all of them are connected to the same ethernet hub, which in
>> turn has the cable modem attached). However, on my new machine, several
>> tray applications (e.g. windows messanger) just sit around trying to
>> connect until the network icon finally appears - one even times out and
>> gives up on the net, and I have to manually connect it afterwards.
>>
>> Any thoughts on how to speed this up?
>>
>> Andre
>
> It isn't the 'order' of things as XP will try to get an internet
> connection early just like the others but something is delaying it,
> probably causing it to wait for a timeout.
>
> Who is it supposed to get it's IP address from?

Check your Event Viewer for errors. Might show something.