Large HDD without backups?

What is the point in having a large hard disk without backups?

I guess that's how new computers are marketed though.

Thanks.

John
You are right; typically, a user's hard disk contains mostly items that
are non-backup worthy. I suggest that you use a backup program such as
Relative Rev Backup, that lets you select the data you really want to
backup.

Also having a single copy of the data is not enough, since when a file
gets unnoticeably corrupted it can overwrite the last good copy of that
file, leaving no backup to restore from.

Therefore, it is mandatory to keep several copies of the important
data, and to keep them for a good period that will allow us to notice
the problem. This function is well managed by Relative Rev Backup
--
Joe
http://www.datamills.com

jaster

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 02:54:01 +0000, John Doe thoughtfully wrote:

> What is the point in having a large hard disk without backups?
>
> I guess that's how new computers are marketed though.
>
> Thanks.

You heard of DVD-RW have you not?

"jaster" <jaster@home.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 02:54:01 +0000, John Doe thoughtfully wrote:
>
>> What is the point in having a large hard disk without backups?
>>
>> I guess that's how new computers are marketed though.
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> You heard of DVD-RW have you not?

Not to mention a second large hard drive that can be bought for a reasonable
price, and thrown into a USB/Firewire enclosure for just a bit more..... OR
a second PREBUILT external hard disk for a slightly higher reasonable
price.... make direct 1:1 copies between the two disks from time to time
for backup purposes, or use some sort of imaging backup utility to do the
job for you....

jaster <jaster home.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 02:54:01 +0000, John Doe thoughtfully wrote:

>> What is the point in having a large hard disk without backups?
>> I guess that's how new computers are marketed though.
>> Thanks.

> You heard of DVD-RW have you not?

That might be meaningful if most systems came with DVD-RW drives.

"nooneimportant" <no.spam@me> wrote:

> Not to mention a second large hard drive that can be bought for a
> reasonable price, and thrown into a USB/Firewire enclosure for
> just a bit more..... OR a second PREBUILT external hard disk for a
> slightly higher reasonable price.... make direct 1:1 copies
> between the two disks from time to time for backup purposes, or
> use some sort of imaging backup utility to do the job for you....

Most users probably do not follow that advice.

Most of the hard disk drive space in computers is probably intended
for nonessential data or data the users would prefer not to have a
copy of, like non-licensed copyrighted material or pornography.

You can put two large harddrives in RAID 1 on modern motherboards and not
worry about backups.

--
DaveW
__________

"John Doe" <jdoe@usenet.love.invalid> wrote in message
> What is the point in having a large hard disk without backups?
>
> I guess that's how new computers are marketed though.
>
> Thanks.

jad

backups on hard drives that stay in the system are not backups at all

"DaveW" <nowhere@dot.org> wrote in message
> You can put two large harddrives in RAID 1 on modern motherboards and not
> worry about backups.
>
> --
> DaveW
> __________
>
> "John Doe" <jdoe@usenet.love.invalid> wrote in message
> > What is the point in having a large hard disk without backups?
> >
> > I guess that's how new computers are marketed though.
> >
> > Thanks.

jaster

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 05:30:17 +0000, John Doe thoughtfully wrote:

> jaster <jaster home.net> wrote:
>> On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 02:54:01 +0000, John Doe thoughtfully wrote:
>
>>> What is the point in having a large hard disk without backups? I guess
>>> that's how new computers are marketed though. Thanks.
>
>> You heard of DVD-RW have you not?
>
> That might be meaningful if most systems came with DVD-RW drives.

Not to offend but 16x DVDRW+/-R/RW $50, 50pk 8x DVD-R $12, 25pk 2.5x
DVDRW $10. Not only good for backups, videos but also good for DVD isos.
Burn backups without compression or proprietary software and the DVD can
be read by any OS.

I user Nero Backit without compression to backup 25G-35G on to 4-7
DVDs. I skip most re-installable stuff. IT IS a minor pain switching
DVDs but when I'm watching TV ... not too much.

>> From: jaster <jaster home.net>
>> Subject: Re: Large HDD without backups? Newsgroups:
>> alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt References: <Xns96DEDD7FC1FBCwisdomfolly
>> 67.97.85.22> MIME-Version: 1.0

Stephen

On 28 Sep 2005 02:54:01 GMT, John Doe <jdoe@usenet.love.invalid> had a
flock of green cheek conures squawk out:

>What is the point in having a large hard disk without backups?
>
>I guess that's how new computers are marketed though.
>
>Thanks.

They're major stock holders in Hair Club for Men & Women. :)

Stephen

"JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
> backups on hard drives that stay in the system are not backups at all
Amen!

> "DaveW" <nowhere@dot.org> wrote in message
>> You can put two large harddrives in RAID 1 on modern motherboards and not
>> worry about backups.
>>
>> --
>> DaveW
>> __________
>>
>> "John Doe" <jdoe@usenet.love.invalid> wrote in message
>> > What is the point in having a large hard disk without backups?
>> >
>> > I guess that's how new computers are marketed though.
>> >
>> > Thanks.

RAID should not be used for data backup, RAID 1 only increases the
reliability of the hardware.

Consider this situation, a file got unnoticeably corrupted. With RAID 1
it is a matter of minutes at best before the file get corrupted on both
disks

A solid backup should give the ability to recover files/folder from
versions that go back months. That way you have enough time to
recognize that your data is actually corrupted, and you have a backup
copy to recover from.

Take a look at Relative Rev Backup (http://www.datamills.com), a backup
application that will manage backup versions that go back months
without multiplying the backup space.

Joe Rom King

DaveW wrote:
> You can put two large harddrives in RAID 1 on modern motherboards and not
> worry about backups.
>
> --
> DaveW
> __________
>
> "John Doe" <jdoe@usenet.love.invalid> wrote in message
> > What is the point in having a large hard disk without backups?
> >
> > I guess that's how new computers are marketed though.
> >
> > Thanks.

Chad

Hey Dave,

Wait 'till you experience a Raid controller failure like I did once
(cheap on-board controllers). My files were all being mangled during
save -- and it wan't much consolation to know that I had a perfect
mirror of each mangled file. ;)

- Chad
http://free-backup.info